Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Severe storms 2015 general chatter

Ian

Corn fuel  

64 members have voted

1. 1. When will DCA report its first spring thunder?

2. 2. How many days with severe weather watches in the subforum in 2015?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1300 SPC OTLK -- 2/5/5

ADDITIONAL SFC-BASED TSTMS MAY DEVELOP THIS AFTN ALONG EWD EXTENSION   OF PRECIP-REINFORCED BAROCLINIC BOUNDARY...ACROSS CENTRAL   APPALACHIANS TO MD/DELMARVA REGION.  ISOLATED DAMAGING GUSTS AND   LARGE HAIL WILL BE POSSIBLE...ESPECIALLY WITH ANY TSTMS NEAR   BOUNDARY THAT CAN USE RELATED LIFT...STORM-RELATIVE INFLOW   ENHANCEMENT AND LOCALIZED VORTICITY SOURCE TO ACQUIRE AT LEAST   TRANSIENT SUPERCELLULAR CHARACTER.

From the morning updated AFD from LWX:

THIS CAN BE CATEGORIZED AS A "HIGH SHEAR/NO CAPE" ENVIRONMENT. SPC
HAS AREA AS HVG A MARGINAL THREAT OF SVR WX. THERE WL NOT BE MUCH
LO LV INSTABILITY TDA GIVEN XTNSV CLD CVR. BUT IF ANYTHING CAN GET
GOING...THERE IS A GOOD AMOUNT OF SHEAR TO TAP INTO AND PRODUCE A
STORM WITH TORNADO WIND HAIL POTENTIAL.

And 15% wind. Pretty surprised to be quite honest. Not sure we'll see much of anything but I'm not the expert ;)

Yeah our problem is instability.. as usual. I do admit I got interested last night after seeing NAM and SREF. But we don't seem to have much shot at any clearing so we have to just advect some crap CAPE in from the south.  I'd probably favor Fredericksburg area south and east though you start to run away from the warm front and best shear the further south you go.. Could definitely see something embedded in a line or such up to this area but I dunno if I'd be super bullish. SPC catch up? Maybe good signs for later.. we've already had a few nice wind profile days last month or so. 

Yeah our problem is instability.. as usual. I do admit I got interested last night after seeing NAM and SREF. But we don't seem to have much shot at any clearing so we have to just advect some crap CAPE in from the south.  I'd probably favor Fredericksburg area south and east though you start to run away from the warm front and best shear the further south you go.. Could definitely see something embedded in a line or such up to this area but I dunno if I'd be super bullish. SPC catch up? Maybe good signs for later.. we've already had a few nice wind profile days last month or so. 

It IS pretty soupy out there so there's that I guess. Mesoanalysis only has a pocket or two of like 250 CAPE around - nothing to warrant a ton of interest. Will definitely be interesting to see if we can keep getting good wind profiles later in the season. Anything (unless it's super anomalous) isn't going to do much in March/April. I'll start getting more interested closer to May. Even a token warning would be a nice little bit of excitement this afternoon. 

Archived