• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Memorable Strikes During Bowling Season

40/70 Benchmark

Obviously the grandaddy is March 31-April 1, 1997, which dropped anywhere from 2-3" across the area, and is still my number one storm of all-time.

April 1982 was simply immense.

The March 2013 event is another that comes to mind, though it was sentered south of  my region along the MA Pike region.
March 1984, I believe was intense.

Recollections of any late season events are welcomed, as my largest and latest event in recent memory was the St. Patty's day 2007 event, which dropped 11" of cement here and 13" of powder in Lowell.

Anyone feel free to add images, or what not...time is of the essence for me, as I'm at work.

Images are blocked here at work, but I believe I had about 10", though it droppe doff quickly to my ne. 

Ashburnham had like 26-27"?

The max snow was Barre Falls Dam I think 20" on my map. Slide Mountain in the catskills had 27".

I'd love to see March '84.

My first weather memory. 

I remember staring out across the street with my older brother as the rain stransitioned to snow in one fell swoop across the neighborhood.

Had a bout 1'.

That had hige winds near the south coast...gravity wave or something of the sort...

March 20-22, 1958 is also a biggie. Though the jackpot was in the interior mid-atlantic moreso than SNE even though it produced some impressive numbers here. There was a second storm before that on Mar 14, 1958 that crushed ORH county and Berks but was a lot of rain on the coast.

My first weather memory. 

I remember staring out across the street with my older brother as the rain stransitioned to snow in one fell swoop across the neighborhood.

Had a bout 1'.

I don't quite remember that one for some reason, but I will take this ob:  METAR KBOS 292000Z 06033G50KT 1/4SM +SN FG OVC003 01/01 

Obviously the grandaddy is March 31-April 1, 1997, which dropped anywhere from 2-3" across the area, and is still my number one storm of all-time.

April 1982 was simply immense.

The March 2013 event is another that comes to mind, though it was sentered south of  my region along the MA Pike region.

March 1984, I believe was intense.

Recollections of any late season events are welcomed, as my largest and latest event in recent memory was the St. Patty's day 2007 event, which dropped 11" of cement here and 13" of powder in Lowell.

Anyone feel free to add images, or what not...time is of the essence for me, as I'm at work.

Not really a bowling ball event ;)   But noteworthy at all times -

Not exclusive to other types of events...I said that was a triple phaser.

Not a bowling ball..but one of my favorite positive busts...supposed to be an advisory snowfall but the 5H trough really deepened and basically hung back the forcing like an inverted trough and we rotted under heavy snow all afternoon....ended up with around a foot of snow

Mar 12, 2005

031215.gif

Not a bowling ball..but one of my favorite positive busts...supposed to be an advisory snowfall but the 5H trough really deepened and basically hung back the forcing like an inverted trough and we rotted under heavy snow all afternoon....ended up with around a foot of snow

Mar 12, 2005

031215.gif

March 20-22, 1958 is also a biggie. Though the jackpot was in the interior mid-atlantic moreso than SNE even though it produced some impressive numbers here. There was a second storm before that on Mar 14, 1958 that crushed ORH county and Berks but was a lot of rain on the coast.

April 7-8, 1956 seems like it was pretty good. Looks like 11" imby based on the local co-op with same elevation, BDL with 5.3". Any maps?

No maps...but it was a very good storm. I think ORH had just shy of a foot.

The dual lows of April 1996 are another good one. Esp the 2nd low...really croaked central and eastern areas. You may have been west of the best stuff in that one.

That 4/1/97 storm was something to behold.  Beautiful day leading up to it, I played golf and went mt biking then threw some ribs on the grill for dinner.  We sat outside as the clouds thickened and lowered and it started to rain a little after dark.  Two hours later it flipped to snow, an hour after that we had 4+" and it was coming down so hard we could barely see across the street.  At midnight half of a tree came down on the roof and I had to go outside and cut it up with a handsaw because it was being supported by the power line to the house.  As it moved in the wind it was sparking and ripping shingles off the roof so it had to go.  Have you ever stood on a ladder in the snow  in 40 mph winds trying to cut something that's moving?  Talk about sketchy.  By the time the sun came up in the morning we had 17" of the wettest, heaviest goop ever and the temps went right back to the 50's and bright sunshine by lunchtime.  

March 58 is legendary in SEPA where I grew up.  Dropped a 50" jack in Morgantown, PA 1 hour west of Philly.  All fell at 31*-32*.  50" of pure paste.

No maps...but it was a very good storm. I think ORH had just shy of a foot.

The dual lows of April 1996 are another good one. Esp the 2nd low...really croaked central and eastern areas. You may have been west of the best stuff in that one.

6" in the first one, 8" in the second.

My largest April events in memory came in consecutive years (don't remember '82).

I measured 9" in the second part of that 96 event. Definitely West of the 16"+ totals.

April 11-12, 1894

April 1-2, 1924

I believe these two storms were strong & snowy.

Archived