• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Lawn & Garden Thread

POWERSTROKE

Ok lawn experts need help. Moved down to the Panhandle of FL last August. Finally getting around to the yard. Some grass but mainly a weed fest. Is their anything I can do in the summer to start or should I wait till fall. I realize this is a generic post so if you need more info let me know & I will reply. Thanks for the help!

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok lawn experts need help. Moved down to the Panhandle of FL last August. Finally getting around to the yard. Some grass but mainly a weed fest. Is their anything I can do in the summer to start or should I wait till fall. I realize this is a generic post so if you need more info let me know & I will reply. Thanks for the help!

I would wait until fall to do any major overhauls, I would just spot treat weeds with roundup or such!

If it's too far gone , you could dig up the yard and start with sod or seed in the fall. I think the predominant grass type down there is St. Augustine grass or maybe Bermuda grass. St Augustine is not a very bright green, it's an off green and alot of people put alot of fertilizer on it to " green" it up and end up killing it. If unsure of type, research on line or take some to the cooperative extension service near you!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone built a french drain? Do they work? Is it the best remedy for standing water in a yard? Any advice is much appreciated.

The answer is "Yes" on all accounts. To save time on the explanation. ..here's an excellent article and accompanying youtube video explaining how to install a french drain. I own and operate my own successful landscape and irrigation business (started 22 years ago by my Father), and although this isn't my video, I also employ the same general techniques in doing so. Hope this helps!

http://appledrains.com/drains/?p=2174

The answer is "Yes" on all accounts. To save time on the explanation. ..here's an excellent article and accompanying youtube video explaining how to install a french drain. I own and operate my own successful landscape and irrigation business (started 22 years ago by my Father), and although this isn't my video, I also employ the same general techniques in doing so. Hope this helps!

Those french are so darn crafty...

Solved many a drainage issues with French drains. We are installing one around the horse barn now.

attachicon.gifback porch.jpgattachicon.gifback porch.jpg

Before and after rear garden and outdoor kitchen shots. It took me a year though.

I like how you did your garden pond. We created one and placed flat rocks overhanding the sides. The problem is we still see some of the black lining along the edges. Water plants help a little but I like your approach better.  

I like how you did your garden pond. We created one and placed flat rocks overhanding the sides. The problem is we still see some of the black lining along the edges. Water plants help a little but I like your approach better.  

I tried the hard shell liners on a couple and had the same issue as you did. I bit the bullet and bought one of the Firestone rubber liners and underlayment for that exact reason. It also allows you to make shallow areas that showcase your small fish better. I got all of my water plants not too far from you from a guy on Stoney Hill rd. His stuff in very reasonable and high quality. The River rock came from Bradshaw's on Gresham lake rd.

I can watch Koi tv and chicken tv from the corner bar stool at the same time. The chicken coop faces the fire pit.

Archived