• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
End of the snowpack predictions?

marsplex

21" on the ground here with some serious glacier in the bottom layers. I'm thinking around the Equinox it's gone in Dobbs Ferry, unless we get another major snowstorm.

It's gonna have to be 60+ for a few days in a row to make quick work of that.  3 weeks sounds about right.

In the city, we probably have another week.

Guest Pamela

CPC went warm relative to normal over 90% of the Lower 48 in their 6 to 10 & 8 -14 day outlooks...they went with equal chances of average temperatures around here...probably due to anomalous snowcover and a cold ocean more than anything else.  However, that warm air has to work its way in here eventually. 

The snow pack is lasting till April 10th this year, let's just face it. There is no warm pattern on the models for quite some time. The GFS and GEFS are cold 3/13 till the end of their runs...

Mall snow piles till Memorial Day!

In all seriousness a couple of days of sun and 40s this time of year will blast any snow in the sun. I highly highly doubt any snow is left after next week in sunny spots. North facing slopes and shady areas will slowly rot and may take a couple weeks

Mall snow piles till Memorial Day!

In all seriousness a couple of days of sun and 40s this time of year will blast any snow in the sun. I highly highly doubt any snow is left after next week in sunny spots. North facing slopes and shady areas will slowly rot and may take a couple weeks

If you know where to look, you stand a good chance of finding some old patches in the north shore woods on Easter Sunday.  Unless of course we have 4 straight days of 80s in late March.  Seriously, that isn't a prediction, but I think there is a decent chance.  I recall our first day out golfing in April 1994 and there was still a large drift next to the first tee.  This was on a course next to LIS.

I posted it in the banter thread, but I guess I should have posted it here. The 6 inches of snow I had on a table in the back yard last night is down to 1 inch right now. Despite temps in the 20s right now. Obviously none of the snow in shady areas has melted today, but it just shows how strong the March sun is that it can melt this quickly with temps only in the 20s. The snowpack in sunny areas won't last long this month. Shady areas will be different of course, and it'll take a long time to get rid of those big snow mountains in store parking lots. But it's always irritating to see the fresh snow go so quickly the next day in sunny spots. Most of yesterday's storm is gone already in spots that receive full sun. In January with temps in the 20s, very little of it would have melted. Early season storms are much more fun.

I posted it in the banter thread, but I guess I should have posted it here. The 6 inches of snow I had on a table in the back yard last night is down to 1 inch right now. Despite temps in the 20s right now. Obviously none of the snow in shady areas has melted today, but it just shows how strong the March sun is that it can melt this quickly with temps only in the 20s. The snowpack in sunny areas won't last long this month. Shady areas will be different of course, and it'll take a long time to get rid of those big snow mountains in store parking lots. But it's always irritating to see the fresh snow go so quickly the next day in sunny spots. Most of yesterday's storm is gone already in spots that receive full sun. In January with temps in the 20s, very little of it would have melted. Early season storms are much more fun.

I feel your pain.  The 19" I had in a sunny spot on my lawn this morning is down to 18"

On a slightly more serious note, I think the deep icy pack does help slow the melting of fresh powder.  Yesterdays snowfall over warmish bare ground would probably be mostly gone by the end of today.  Instead it is only compressing a little.

All the snow I had last night still standing for most part, 8 inches overall, but with snow pack over 12 inches with at least 3 or 4 inches of ice at bottom, I'm thinking end of March give or take. Unless we get massive warmth and rain. Rumors of possible major snow storm March 15-16 which,if it happened,could only delay snow free grounds.

I posted it in the banter thread, but I guess I should have posted it here. The 6 inches of snow I had on a table in the back yard last night is down to 1 inch right now. Despite temps in the 20s right now. Obviously none of the snow in shady areas has melted today, but it just shows how strong the March sun is that it can melt this quickly with temps only in the 20s. The snowpack in sunny areas won't last long this month. Shady areas will be different of course, and it'll take a long time to get rid of those big snow mountains in store parking lots. But it's always irritating to see the fresh snow go so quickly the next day in sunny spots. Most of yesterday's storm is gone already in spots that receive full sun. In January with temps in the 20s, very little of it would have melted. Early season storms are much more fun.

Fresh snow on a table surface, which absorbs heat, is way different from the 20-24" multi-layer glacier in the deep woods that has to be melted in Dobbs. That's going to take a while.

Archived