• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Extreme cold February 2015

Rainman

I didn't see one already, and I think we had a thread for the cold in January. This one is looking like it will be just as cold as anything we saw in the Great Lakes at any point last winter.

There is potential for overnight lows in the negative teens over a wide area and Detroit may not climb above 0 degrees on Sunday. If that happens, it will be only the 7th time in its history. I can certainly envision wind chills hitting -30 Saturday night or Sunday morning.

It won't exactly be warm tonight or Friday night either, so feel free to discuss that here as well. We might add some good ice cover to the lakes too.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You want a good laugh.  This is from the GRR's morning AFD Hydrology report:

LOW TEMPERATURES
THURSDAY NIGHT AND SATURDAY NIGHT WILL BE BELOW ZERO AWAY FROM LAKE
MICHIGAN. SNOW ACCUMULATIONS COULD AID IN ICE DEVELOPMENT AS
WELL...ALTHOUGH AN INCREASINGLY STEEPER SUN ANGLE COULD MITIGATE
SOME OF THAT ADDITIONAL DEVELOPMENT. ICE SHOULD LARGELY REMAIN
STATUS QUO UNTIL A SIGNIFICANT WARM UP HELPS BREAK IT UP.

:lmao:  It's February 11 and not late March/April!!!  I am sooooooooooo tired of the sun angle card.  They are seriously telling me that the sun in February is so strong that it will overcome near single digit highs and several hours of subzero temps.   :rolleyes:   Ummmm didn't the GLs ice cover PEAK in March last year!!!  Now if they want to tell me it is going to be very windy during the arctic blast which can make ice development more difficult compared to calm conditions well I do understand that.   The winds helped break up some of the mid-February ice cover peak last winter about this time (before the March final peak that occurred). 

Maybe not in the 'burbs, but here in the city I could definitely see the sun angle helping us torch above 10F on Sunday. Very hard to keep temps below that mark once we start into mid-February, although it absolutely can happen, I'll be shocked if we don't even make it above 5. That takes some seriously, seriously brutal arctic airmass.

Overnight though, yeah, we're going to bottom out near record territory for the day most likely. In fact, if we only make it to the high DTX has forecasted for DTW, it would be a record low-maximum as well.

Maybe not in the 'burbs, but here in the city I could definitely see the sun angle helping us torch above 10F on Sunday. Very hard to keep temps below that mark once we start into mid-February, although it absolutely can happen, I'll be shocked if we don't even make it above 5. That takes some seriously, seriously brutal arctic airmass.

Overnight though, yeah, we're going to bottom out near record territory for the day most likely. In fact, if we only make it to the high DTX has forecasted for DTW, it would be a record low-maximum as well.

Agreed as far as the bolded, especially with the aid of downsloping from the NW wind...

Even so, this extreme cold crap does nothing for me. It can't depart soon enough.

Agreed as far as the bolded, especially with the aid of downsloping from the NW wind...

Even so, this extreme cold crap does nothing for me. It can't depart soon enough.

Yeah, extreme cold like is no fun for pretty much anyone. A truly extreme event once in a while from a meteorological standpoint is fun, but we've had enough of it the past couple of years.

I'm not a big fan of extreme cold, but I don't mind going for a record if it's going to be that cold anyways, (what's another few degrees if you're already sitting below zero).  In that vein, kinda sucks that we don't have a snowcover to make the extreme even more extreme.   I guess if we're lucky and everything lines up perfectly on Saturday, we might cover the grass with snow, but that's iffy at best and I believe there's a big difference between having an inch or two vs a deep snow pack anyways.

I'm not a big fan of extreme cold, but I don't mind going for a record if it's going to be that cold anyways, (what's another few degrees if you're already sitting below zero).  In that vein, kinda sucks that we don't have a snowcover to make the extreme even more extreme.   I guess if we're lucky and everything lines up perfectly on Saturday, we might cover the grass with snow, but that's iffy at best and I believe there's a big difference between having an inch or two vs a deep snow pack anyways.

I'm actually extremely glad we do have a thick snowcover here, but for a different reason. Subzero temps + no snowcover is very bad for plants and shrubs.

and pipes

Last winter we had streets being dug up all over because of broken (frozen) pipes many feet under the ground.   I know Minneapolis also had a lot of damage too.  Frost depths were very deep last winter around here.  PRobably not too bad this year so far.

La Crosse showing -13F this weekend for a low... that is around our coldest for the year so far (not bad for here).

Last winter we had streets being dug up all over because of broken (frozen) pipes many feet under the ground.   I know Minneapolis also had a lot of damage too.  Frost depths were very deep last winter around here.  PRobably not too bad this year so far.

La Crosse showing -13F this weekend for a low... that is around our coldest for the year so far (not bad for here).

The cold air has been more focused east compared to last year.  So that has been a 'benefit' for you area in regard to frost depth.

The winds are going to have to die down and the skies stay clear if we're going to break the 1979 record at Pearson tomorrow. Temperature is dropping very slowly at my place.

Winds will calm down after 9pm. Temperatures in the suburbs could be around -25 to -28C ( -13F to -18F) tomorrow morning. Thanks to the Urban heat island effect, YYZ will likely bottom out closer to 13F (-25C). Lets see. 

Winds will calm down after 9pm. Temperatures in the suburbs could be around -25 to -28C ( -13F to -18F) tomorrow morning. Thanks to the Urban heat island effect, YYZ will likely bottom out closer to 13F (-25C). Lets see. 

Let's just hope the skies stay clear. I figure if we're going to get this cold, we may as well go for a record. Thing is that the area around Pearson is much more urbanized than it was in February 1979. I actually saw a picture of Pearson taken in 1964 in which horses were grazing in the foreground!

Let's just hope the skies stay clear. I figure if we're going to get this cold, we may as well go for a record. Thing is that the area around Pearson is much more urbanized than it was in February 1979. I actually saw a picture of Pearson taken in 1964 in which horses were grazing in the foreground!

Really? Wow. Times have really changed. 1964 isn't even that long ago, atleast on the Earth's timescale, haha! I think YYZ has a 80% chance of breaking the record, lets see!

Brutal

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DETROIT/PONTIAC MI249 PM EST FRI FEB 13 2015...DANGEROUSLY COLD WIND CHILLS EXPECTED SATURDAY INTO SUNDAY...MIZ075-076-082-083-140400-/O.NEW.KDTX.WC.A.0001.150214T2200Z-150215T1700Z/WASHTENAW-WAYNE-LENAWEE-MONROE-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ANN ARBOR...DETROIT...ADRIAN...MONROE249 PM EST FRI FEB 13 2015...WIND CHILL WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY AFTERNOON THROUGHSUNDAY MORNING...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN DETROIT/PONTIAC HAS ISSUED A WINDCHILL WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY AFTERNOON THROUGHSUNDAY MORNING.HAZARDOUS WEATHER... * TEMPERATURES WILL DROP BELOW ZERO SATURDAY EVENING WITH GUSTY   NORTHWEST WINDS PRODUCING WIND CHILLS OF 20 TO 25 BELOW ZERO   BY EVENING. * TEMPERATURES WILL THEN BOTTOM OUT AT 5 TO 10 BELOW ZERO LATE   SATURDAY NIGHT WITH WIND CHILLS OF 20 TO 30 BELOW ZERO BY   DAYBREAK.IMPACTS... * BITTERLY COLD WIND CHILLS COULD LEAD TO FROST BITE IN 15   MINUTES OR LESS. * PROLONGED EXPOSURE TO THIS EXTREME COLD COULD LEAD TO   HYPOTHERMIA.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... * A WIND CHILL WATCH MEANS THERE IS THE POTENTIAL FOR ACOMBINATION OF VERY COLD AIR AND STRONG WINDS TO CREATEDANGEROUSLY LOW WIND CHILL VALUES. MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTSAND WARNINGS FOR UPDATES ON THIS SITUATION.

Archived