joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Extreme cold February 2015

Rainman

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DTWs low was -9F, the coldest of this winter but missed the record low by 1 degree unfortunately (it is easily the 2nd coldest low on this date, as the old 2nd place was -6F). Todays record low max (6F) and tomorrows record low (-9F) are still in play however.

I say both fall, tonight won't have as much wind so we should be able to radiate better than last night, and right now we are only at 3 so we should stay below 6 unless we have a decent 'warm' up in the next few hours. The high would be the one that is close.

This morning marks the coldest morning at YYZ since Jan 16th 1994. Incredible.

Wow, nice. A few mornings after that is still the coldest morning I've ever witnessed as far as air temps down here in Detroit, -20 and all the pipes in the apartment me and my parents lived in burst. That morning was madness to say the least...

DTWs low was -9F, the coldest of this winter but missed the record low by 1 degree unfortunately (it is easily the 2nd coldest low on this date, as the old 2nd place was -6F). Todays record low max (6F) and tomorrows record low (-9F) are still in play however.

It's 6*F now.

Better hope there isn't an intra-hour bump to 7*F...:lol:

Ann Arbor last winter went -20 a couple times i believe.

Maybe at the ideal radiative cooling site at the airport itself, but -15 was pretty much the limit last year at a more neutrally located station (e.g., the UofM campus). However, I wouldn't be surprised to see a sub -20 reading at the airport itself tonight. Deep snow, calm winds, ideal airmass.

Maybe at the ideal radiative cooling site at the airport itself, but -15 was pretty much the limit last year at a more neutrally located station (e.g., the UofM campus). However, I wouldn't be surprised to see a sub -20 reading at the airport itself tonight. Deep snow, calm winds, ideal airmass.

Someone in SEMI in the outskirts might be flirting with -25

I think tonight could overachieve for sure. DTX said the clouds will arrive too late. With that in mind, radiating conditions are ideal. Calm wind, clear sky, dry column (haven't looked myself, but will take DTX's word for it), and deep snowpack. This morning's lows should be treated as the ceiling for tonight's potential. I agree that some favored spots could tank to -20 or lower.

And of course there was in fact in intra-hour high of 7*F today, lol.

There's still a shot at the -9*F record low tonight though.

of course. There was no intra-hour -10, but there was an intra-hour 7F.

Today was however technically the coldest February 15th on record, with a mean temp of -1F (old record 0F in 1905).

In fact...it was the 4th latest on record for Detroit have a daily mean temp below zero....only later dates have been

Feb 16, 1904

Feb 23, 1889

Feb 24, 1894

of course. There was no intra-hour -10, but there was an intra-hour 7F.

Today was however technically the coldest February 15th on record, with a mean temp of -1F (old record 0F in 1905).

In fact...it was the 4th latest on record for Detroit have a daily mean temp below zero....only later dates have been

Feb 16, 1904

Feb 23, 1889

Feb 24, 1894

Pretty impressive considering the amount of urbanization and infrastructure that's been built up since 1889-1904.

Archived