• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Frontogenesis/Baroclinic zone induced snows

snowstormcanuck

It's gonna be a nail biter this weekend around my part of the subforum, looks like it will only take a day or two before a new hit of snow will fill back in whatever small amount of snow we could lose. It's still possible depth could be higher Monday morning, when compared to Saturday morning.

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They look very nice around here overall despite quite a bit of spread among members. The mean has ~0.7" of QPF with over 25 members going 6"+ for YYZ.

EDIT: UKIE is all in as well.

Decent pattern setting up for the next 1-2 weeks. The strong polar jetstream thanks to the weakly -NAO and +PNA, will allow for a more dominant northern stream pattern through mid month. The strong Pacific jetstream (evident on the wind maps), is going to enhance storm activity in the Pacific and this will aide in the development of clippers as they come onshore across the West Coast.  

I think this could be a nice 4"+ for some people in this sub-forum. Should be watched more closely. Still 70+ hours out, but exciting times. 

Anyone know if the 12z euro also had the northward trend? 24hr maps FTL.

Chitown Storm, you can check http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/and go to model data, select ECMWF, select continent view. You can see MSLP and 3-hr precipitation. Use the slider to control the forecast hour. The slider is the hard part.

Yeah, it had snow near Duluth at 75-93 hours. Not sure you wanted to hear that though.

Chitown Storm, you can check http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/and go to model data, select ECMWF, select continent view. You can see MSLP and 3-hr precipitation. Use the slider to control the forecast hour. The slider is the hard part.

Yeah, it had snow near Duluth at 75-93 hours. Not sure you wanted to hear that though.

Never knew this was there on wunderground. Thank you sir.

Per Ryan maue from twitter, he mentions that the system this weekend will have a lot of moisture with it thanks to the California storm. Something to note.

OT: Wow I just looked at the HPC 5 day QPF map and it showed 16" rain in North CA, Wow. Usually a big rain in CA means a good storm is coming here to MI, but that's just kind of anecdotally speaking not real science or stats.

Well, they look to be in good shape for this then...unless the northward trend continues, then congrats northwestern Ontario?

There doesn't really seem to be any trend north or south yet overall, I can't wait until tomorrows 00z models come out, I am going to ride the new king the UKie when it is in range, it pulled 3 coups this season over the other models, and a did a great job on last nights clipper and todays snows south of here. I wonder if they did an upgrade to the UKie this season or something? it is completely on fire nailing storms right now.

EURO QPF for the three waves looks like 0.7-0.8" for YYZ. Plus, there's potential for lake enhancement. And we've got some strong consensus amongst the models, save for the NAM which is way north.

Main concern is that it's such a narrow swath of snow. Even slight adjustments N or S could mean major reductions in snowfall amounts.

EURO QPF for the three waves looks like 0.7-0.8" for YYZ. Plus, there's potential for lake enhancement. And we've got some strong consensus amongst the models, save for the NAM which is way north.

Main concern is that it's such a narrow swath of snow. Even slight adjustments N or S could mean major reductions in snowfall amounts.

Looking good for you.  Very questionable IMBY right now.  As long as I can stay below freezing (which on the EURO and 6Z GFS is looking good) I will be a happy camper.  I wouldn't be surprised to occasionally get a bout or 2 of snow/pl/zr.  Main action north/east.

Looking good for you.  Very questionable IMBY right now.  As long as I can stay below freezing (which on the EURO and 6Z GFS is looking good) I will be a happy camper.  I wouldn't be surprised to occasionally get a bout or 2 of snow/pl/zr.  Main action north/east.

This reminds me of something you would see in April. Stalled front in extreme southern Michigan/northern Indiana/Ohio with a cool easterly surface wind up here while they're basking in warmth and southwest winds in South Bend. We probably wouldn't have the frozen precip in this situation in April but you get the point.

This reminds me of something you would see in April. Stalled front in extreme southern Michigan/northern Indiana/Ohio with a cool easterly surface wind up here while they're basking in warmth and southwest winds in South Bend. We probably wouldn't have the frozen precip in this situation in April but you get the point.

Absolutely!  I think I mentioned that else where that this was more like a spring (or March) type pattern coming up.   This is how we typically get those March/April ice storms.  Being February thankfully it will mostly be snow as I already had enough ZR this winter.  With this type of pattern I would not be surprised to see things end a bit further south as in spring they typically never come as far north as modeled (though these new model formulas maybe different so I can't count on the old model bias).

You look to be in a fairly good position to get some snow out it.  Good luck!

The UKIE is even more aggressive with 0.8-0.9" of QPF for Toronto but your right... its a very volatile setup given the narrowness of the snow swath.

RE the LE potential, looks like the best threat so far this season for the GTA if track holds. Oakville/Hamilton/Etobicoke is probably sitting in the best spot but even a 100 degree flow can put the GTA well into the game. My biggest concern is inversion heights hovering around 950mb.

With this type of pattern I would not be surprised to see things end a bit further south as in spring they typically never come as far north as modeled (though these new model formulas maybe different so I can't count on the old model bias).

You look to be in a fairly good position to get some snow out it.  Good luck!

Yeah, these type of events always seem to tread south in the days leading to the event. Many times I look forward to a nice warm april day only to have it stolen at the last minute by a south jog and I get 38 and cloudy instead. 

I'm livin on the edge, unless your look at the nam than I'm way to far south, of anything sig. as far as snow goes for this weekend. It would be nice to see a south jog.

Yeah, these type of events always seem to tread south in the days leading to the event. Many times I look forward to a nice warm april day only to have it stolen at the last minute by a south jog and I get 38 and cloudy instead. 

I'm livin on the edge, unless your look at the nam than I'm way to far south, of anything sig. as far as snow goes for this weekend. It would be nice to see a south jog.

Good thing is even if this weekend doesn't work out for you & I the models are showing this to be a pretty persistent pattern.  The coming weeks look to be active in the GLs.

not exactly a spread the wealth type pattern (basically, me and Josh_4184 cashing in), especially heading into mid feb but gfs says around 2' here in the next week in my little corner of the world... I'll take it.  would like to see a 5' snowpack by mid/late March (currently 38-40")... not unheard of either.

7 day snowfall

not exactly a spread the wealth type pattern (basically, me and Josh_4184 cashing in), especially heading into mid feb but gfs says around 2' here in the next week in my little corner of the world... I'll take it.  would like to see a 5' snowpack by mid/late March (currently 38-40")... not unheard of either.

7 day snowfall

Wish we could slightly shift that south (not much) as there is too much Lake Superior fish food.  I would like to see that map where MN, WI and all of MI were covered in pinks, reds, yellow and oranges!

Archived