amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Frontogenesis/Baroclinic zone induced snows

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While the 12Z GFS was promising I look to be toasted as even now the 12Z EURO blasts the 0C 850 to my north.  Looks like I'm out... :ee:

Hope you all east of here do well!  Have fun!

Yeah it's punt time here in most of MI. I will enjoy my very light sleet and freezing rain though I guess lol. Pretty sad that 24hrs ago the GGEM said 10" or more snow here (and GFS was still saying 6")! I hope you Ontario guys cash in good, rooting for you to get a potential big dog.

Euro trended lower with snowfall but still gives 4-6'' for the event. Wave 2 looks north and wave 3 looks south.

I saw this coming when I saw the EURO H7 RH plots. Seems the GFS solution is more plausible (wave 2 & 3 trending south), rather than one going one way and second going the other.

Looks like the 2-4" with wave 1 is locked in at least.

I saw this coming when I saw the EURO H7 RH plots. Seems the GFS solution is more plausible (wave 2 & 3 trending south), rather than one going one way and second going the other.

Looks like the 2-4" with wave 1 is locked in at least.

Still lots of time to figure this out. Very complex.

Euro now the driest run for YYZ. Yesterday it showed over an 1". Willing to think it was an off run.

Basically the only model that is virtually a complete whiff with wave 3 (although the GFS trended towards us getting fringed). Not a lot of continuity with the models as of yet so all scenarios are still on the table.

Right now there are two main camps regarding wave 2. The UKM/EC/NAM are very similar as they bring the snow swath NE of the GTA while the GEM/GFS move it right through the core of the city.

Hopefully the 18z NAM helps clear things up but I doubt it.

Quite the perpetual difference especially given the time-frame were in atm. The UKM/NAM did pretty well with that last storm, while the GGEM had its ups and downs. I think a solid 2-3" is possible for most of the GTA tomorrow. Will likely end up being wet snow given the temperatures. 

Yeah it's punt time here in most of MI. I will enjoy my very light sleet and freezing rain though I guess lol. Pretty sad that 24hrs ago the GGEM said 10" or more snow here (and GFS was still saying 6")! I hope you Ontario guys cash in good, rooting for you to get a potential big dog.

The NAM has been on a bit of a hot streak lately.  :lmao:  Go to model :yikes:

By 9z Sun the NAM has 0.2-0.3" for mississauga, 0.3-0.4" for Toronto, with 0.4-0.6" from Pickering to YGK. There is a small area of 0.6"+ from Orillia through the Kawartha Lakes.

Wave 2 is north yes, but the Nam has a nice Wave 3 for the area. 

Edit: Wave 3 is looking like a nice 4-6" for the GTA. In total the GTA sees 7-8" with the East end around 10-12". 

18z NAM absolutely hammers the entire Golden Horseshoe!!! Low takes an ideal track along the south shore of Lake Erie, and has also trended stronger.  The low wraps up nicely and slows up in W NY keeping the GTA in an intense deformation zone for many hours.  Lake enhancement may once again be coming into play for Hamilton/Burlington/Oakville.  I'd love to lock this run in!

namUS_sfc_temp_063.gifnamUS_prec_radar_063.gif

Wouldn't have gone with a watch here but I'm surprised EC didn't even hoist a SWS.

EDIT: my mistake, they did, for SW Ontario for -ZR potential. :lol:

haha I didn't know they hoisted one until you said that. I thought they would have put out a SWS explaining the complex weekend ahead. I anticipate that they put one out later tonight or early tomorrow morning. 

I know neighbouring NWS stations collaborate with one another but does EC and the neighbouring NWS talk? It just seems weird when Niagara Falls ON has a SWS for a potential of some freezing rain but right across the river in Niagara Falls NY there is a winter storm watch for 7+ inches of snow. Someones forecast isn't going to pan out and generally I see the NWS being correct with EC issuing the warnings when the event has started 

Archived