Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 6th event

BullCityWx

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reality is that a lot of solutions are on the table at this point, regardless of one or two model solutions or one or two model suites. Factoring in seasonal trends, the odds that this trends toward a big SE snow are low. Flatter ridging, less cold, and northward trend are likely, based on the seasonal trends. But the funny thing about seasonal trends is that they're only trends until they're not anymore. Maybe this is the time. Maybe not. But it's silly to go all in or give up 5 days out.

Looking forward to 0Z need models to start trending in the right direction and still a bit far out for me personally to put too much faith in the 6 & 18z runs

Pretty sure that 6z and 18z runs are not systematically handicapped vs 0z and 12z, and cannot simply be discarded.

So we have 3 runs that are inconsistent and totally different from each other and move the storm from Charleston to north of NC, and we say it had to be true?

Brick, we say they are  all an option on the table.  Doesn't make the solution true or not at all.  In fact, none of the solutions seen so far are going to be exactly what happens more likely than not.

I dont really take the 06z and 18z runs in consideration most of the time. A wise and brilliant local meteorologist once pointed out to me the margin of error of the "in between" or secondary runs. He wrote a whole blog about it and had all the statistics and whatnot. Blends of 00z and 12z is what I usually base my interpretation off of. 

I dont really take the 06z and 18z runs in consideration most of the time. A wise and brilliant local meteorologist once pointed out to me the margin of error of the "in between" or secondary runs. He wrote a whole blog about it and had all the statistics and whatnot. Blends of 00z and 12z is what I usually base my interpretation off of.

When was 'once'? That was true for a long time. The secondary runs were data starved. In that respect, things have improved greatly in recent years

When was 'once'? That was true for a long time. The secondary runs were data starved. In that respect, things have improved greatly in recent years

Less than 3 or so years ago, Andy Wood, if that rings a bell with anyone? But its not really to "throw out" the runs, just trying to stay optimistic and stay positive, everyone seems to be giving up. Always have hope. 

Pretty sure that 6z and 18z runs are not systematically handicapped vs 0z and 12z, and cannot simply be discarded.

They are not handicapped in any way however the 12 and 0Z models still incorporate fresh sounding data for better or worse. Granted I'm no expert on the impact of improving data assimilation techniques using satellites ect.. Which would improve the approximation of the initial state of the atmosphere for the 6 and 18z runs.

They are not handicapped in any way however the 12 and 0Z models still incorporate fresh sounding data for better or worse. Granted I'm no expert on the impact of improving data assimilation techniques using satellites ect.. Which would improve the approximation of the initial state of the atmosphere for the 6 and 18z runs.

I have always gone with the assumption when looking for a trend, it's best to stick with one set (00z &12z) or (06z&18z) for comparison purposes. Not because one set is better, or worse than the other, but the data ingested is consistent. Anywho....that's my .02....lol

lol

No sir!  It's the best thing ever to make a thread 5 days out even when Stormsfury finally posts again and says not to before 48 hours.  Hell, people think it is a good thing to post a thread 14 days in advance these days it seems!

The GFS is now crap.  The Euro is crap.  Why do people keep denying the Euro of being King even if it has struggled?  I think the new thing is "omg it was wrong in NYC so it will always be wrong".  Pft.

RAH this morning...

PRECIP WILL INITIALLY FALL FROM CLOUD BASES 6000-8000FT SO IT WILL TAKE A WHILE TO SATURATE THE SUB CLOUD LAYER. THIS WILL LEAD TO SOME EVAPORATIVE COOLING...SETTING THE STAGE FOR A POSSIBLE RAIN/SNOW MIX SCENARIO ACROSS THE NORTHERN PIEDMONT THURSDAY MORNING. (00Z GFS BUFKIT SOUNDINGS DEPICT A POSSIBLE SEEDER FEEDER MECHANISM THURSDAY MORNING ACROSS THE PIEDMONT...AND ACROSS THE SANDHILLS AROUND MID DAY).  STILL A LOT OF UNCERTAINTY WHETHER PRECIP WILL OCCUR THIS FAR NORTH. PLUS...MAY BE A CASE OF THE COLD AIR CHASING THE MOISTURE AS BEST CAA OCCURS THURSDAY AFTERNOON (AT THE SAME TIME THE ATMOSPHERE UNDERGOES RAPID DRYING). 

KCAE had 0.01 of moisture with it cold enough to be frozen.

.01 more than 18z   :P   :hug:

Back a few years ago, Andy Wood from Fox Carolina, IMO was in a different league compared to the other local mets. but then again, its just an opinion

Are you obsessed with Andy Wood? 90% of your first posts reference him in some way. Keep the banter out of discussion threads and in the banter thread where it belongs. Reading more and posting less is great advice especially when you are posting the same thing in every thread......sigh

LET THIS BE A LESSON TO YOU!!

lol

:lol:   :lol:   :lol:   Dayum gfs took all my snow away....imagine that   :P

as of 12PM or so from KCAE:

LONG TERM /THURSDAY THROUGH MONDAY/  

WELL ANOTHER DAY...ANOTHER CHANGE TO THE LONGER RANGE MODELS. AT  
LEAST NOW THEY ARE ALL COMING INTO BETTER AGREEMENT WITH THE  
STRENGTH AND TIMING...WHICH WOULD SEEM TO LEND A SLIGHTLY HIGHER  
LEVEL OF CONFIDENCE TO THIS FORECAST PACKAGE THAN PREVIOUS ONES.  

CURRENT 00Z RUNS OF THE NAM/GFS/ECMWF NOW ALL INDICATE THAT AN  
UPPER LEVEL TROUGH ASSOCIATED WITH THE POLAR JET WILL DIG EASTWARD  
TOWARDS THE SOUTHEASTERN STATES WEDNESDAY EVENING AND NIGHT.  
MEANWHILE AN UPPER LOW IS FORECAST TO MOVE OUT OF SOUTHERN TEXAS  
IN RESPONSE TO ENERGY ASSOCIATED WITH THE WEAKER SOUTHERN STREAM JET.  
AT APPEARS AS IF THE ENERGY FROM THESE TWO SYSTEMS WILL NOT BE  
ABLE TO PHASE UP EFFICIENTLY OVER THE REGION. THE MODELS THUS SHOW  
RAINFALL MOVING INTO THE REGION FROM THE SOUTHERN SYSTEM IN  
ADVANCE OF THE NORTHERN SYSTEM LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT INTO  
THURSDAY...WHILE TEMPERATURES ARE ALL WELL ABOVE FREEZING. THE  
BULK OF THE RAINFALL WILL CROSS ACROSS THE SOUTHERN AND EASTERN  
PORTIONS OF THE CWA ON THURSDAY...THEN GET PUSHED OFF THE EAST  
COAST BY THE TIME THE NORTHERN STREAM ENERGY MOVES THROUGH. THIS  
BASICALLY DRIES CONDITIONS OUT NOW BY THE TIME TEMPERATURE  
PROFILES DROP BELOW FREEZING ACROSS THE REGION BY THURSDAY NIGHT.  
BECAUSE OF THIS...HAVE REMOVED THE POPS FOR THURSDAY NIGHT...WHICH  
ALSO REMOVES ANY MENTION OF FROZEN PRECIP. DRY CONDITIONS WILL NOW  
PREVAIL FROM THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH THE WEEKEND. TEMPERATURES WILL  
CONTINUE BELOW NORMAL THROUGH SATURDAY...THEN THEY MAY BE ABLE TO  
CLIMB BACK CLOSER TO NORMAL BY SUNDAY.  

Archived