• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Southern MD / Lower Eastern Shore weather discussion

PrinceFrederickWx

This will be our problem.  I would expect a good thump up front, brief mix, extended rain, brief mix, then snow again at the backend.  I would imagine the only accumulation will be a base layer of slush and then whatever comes at the end.

Aye.  Wish we could just get a nice, fat southern slider.  Coastals rarely end up perfect for us.  

I do wonder, though. . .so the front end is going to drop a nice thump of snow which will have a cooling effect on the lower levels.  If the temps are just above marginal, woudl this keep the lower levels cold enough for freezing rain and/or sleet?

Aye.  Wish we could just get a nice, fat southern slider.  Coastals rarely end up perfect for us.  

I do wonder, though. . .so the front end is going to drop a nice thump of snow which will have a cooling effect on the lower levels.  If the temps are just above marginal, woudl this keep the lower levels cold enough for freezing rain and/or sleet?

I believe warm air aloft is a concern with the easterly flow we're expecting.

If this storm goes as planned that'll be 3 out of 3 climo+ winters since I moved down here. Incredible.

My son is only 3 1/2 and already knows snow is coming (he actually still remembers last year). I hope he remembers this when he gets older cause we could have crappy winters for the next ten years. I didn't get to see my first big snowstorm until I was 13 (Jan. 1996).

Looking forward to obs from everyone in the sub-forum since we will most likely be dealing with some mixing.  Wish there were more posters in St. Mary's.  Weather in this county alone can vary greatly from north to south!

Looks like its snowing in St. Mary's or is it just virga? There's a little blob on radar just over the county moving NE. Latest OBS at NHK are 31 and cloudy though.

I believe warm air aloft is a concern with the easterly flow we're expecting.

Right! So if that's the case, then the lowest levels might stay cold enough to freeze sleet or rain?

Then again, if the 850s stay cold enough, I have to believe that the precipitation rates might be enough to drag all that cold air down to the surface and keep us snow. 

Obviously, I have no training. . just pondering based on things I've seen happen in the past. 

Right! So if that's the case, then the lowest levels might stay cold enough to freeze sleet or rain?

Then again, if the 850s stay cold enough, I have to believe that the precipitation rates might be enough to drag all that cold air down to the surface and keep us snow. 

Obviously, I have no training. . just pondering based on things I've seen happen in the past. 

I think it's related to the quantity of warm air we're talking about.  The low is simply too far inshore for us.  But I like that you're keeping the dream alive!  Remember, we only need 30 miles.

Well, models ticked NW from what I'm seeing...this is disappointing. I know we're not getting the historic totals like DC, but it would be nice to have a foot...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Yeah it is worrisome, but hopefully it's just a blip and a wobble. But the NW trend is a real thing, it happens a lot during these storms and that's what worryies me. 12z today and 00z tonight will be big runs.

Yeah it is worrisome, but hopefully it's just a blip and a wobble. But the NW trend is a real thing, it happens a lot during these storms and that's what worryies me. 12z today and 00z tonight will be big runs.

Tough forecast for you over the next 24 hours. Models still call for ~10 inches in SBY, but when does that fall? How much gets knocked down by the rain? How much comes on the back end? Etc., etc., etc. There's a reason NWS is so slow to decide on how to handle us a lot of the time.

Someone is going to bust bad.  I don't know what all the TV stations are saying but Channel 9 has Calvert and St. Mary's in the 3-6" zone and NWS is saying 18-24" in the Blizzard Watch(snow map has a little less).  Seems as though Channel 9 is hedging their bets lots of rain and sleet down here.

I wonder what model they are using that's basing their change

Someone is going to bust bad.  I don't know what all the TV stations are saying but Channel 9 has Calvert and St. Mary's in the 3-6" zone and NWS is saying 18-24" in the Blizzard Watch(snow map has a little less).  Seems as though Channel 9 is hedging their bets lots of rain and sleet down here.

I'm in 12-18 on the latest LWX map, you look like you're in 8-12?