• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Southern MD / Lower Eastern Shore weather discussion

PrinceFrederickWx

This is for Charles, Calvert and St. Mary's Counties. Southern areas of PG and AA Counties can be in it too. Post forecasts, OBS, banter, etc.

Anyway... I'm liking the look of tomorrow's system, looks like it could be a southern MD special like 1/29 last year. NWS has me for 1/2 inch overnight and up to an inch tomorrow. I think winter weather advisories may get posted down here. If it works out, it'll be nice to see some accumulating snow finally after last week's shutout.

This is for Charles, Calvert and St. Mary's Counties. Southern areas of PG and AA Counties can be in it too. Post forecasts, OBS, banter, etc.

Anyway... I'm liking the look of tomorrow's system, looks like it could be a southern MD special like 1/29 last year. NWS has me for 1/2 inch overnight and up to an inch tomorrow. I think winter weather advisories may get posted down here. If it works out, it'll be nice to see some accumulating snow finally after last week's shutout.

Thanks for your effort to get this sub-forum going.  Feel like we have a different climate down here in the winter where we usually miss out on clippers or are too warm for snow. 

As for tomorrow's system, I'm liking the trends!

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like LWX is expecting us to get clipped with the coastal.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC
1040 AM EST SUN JAN 25 2015

MDZ017-018-252345-
/O.NEW.KLWX.WS.A.0002.150126T2300Z-150127T2300Z/
ST. MARYS-CALVERT-
INCLUDING THE CITY OF...ST MARYS CITY
1040 AM EST SUN JAN 25 2015

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM MONDAY EVENING THROUGH
TUESDAY AFTERNOON...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON HAS
ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM MONDAY
EVENING THROUGH TUESDAY AFTERNOON.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE...SNOW...POSSIBLY HEAVY AT TIMES.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOWFALL TOTALS OVER 5 INCHES POSSIBLE.

* TIMING...A RAIN AND SNOW MIX WILL CHANGE OVER TO ALL SNOW BY
  MONDAY EVENING...THEN PERSIST THROUGH TUESDAY. THE HEAVIEST
  SNOWFALL WILL OCCUR MONDAY NIGHT AND TUESDAY.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE LOWER 30S.

* WINDS...NORTH 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH.

* IMPACTS...ROADS WILL BE SNOW COVERED AND SLIPPERY WITH
  VISIBILITIES BEING REDUCED TO NEAR ONE-QUARTER MILE AT TIMES.
  THE COMBINATION OF SNOW COVERED ROADS AND LOW VISIBILITY WILL
  MAKE TRAVELING DANGEROUS.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT
SNOW...SLEET...OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL.
CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

Can't figure out where St. Mary's stands with the upcoming storm. Are we too far south for the clipper and coastal to get us? Models indicating we are very close to the western edge with the coastal in getting in on some accumulation.

I've actually been following over on Accuweather forums more... the latest NAM looked terrible for us down here but the GFS looks better (to me, at least).

btw I haven't forgotten about this thread. There was someone else I know on here that's from my area but he seems to have disappeared. There's some I know in real life that might sign up, idk

Eastern Shore welcome here too? I'm in Wicomico. Always a gamble here regarding temps and coastal low location. Curious to see if the Euro pastes us again.

Sure.  More the merrier.  Us folk near the bay(western and eastern shore) seem to experience much different weather than near DC and its always fun do to discuss what we are seeing.  Would be cool to get more posters down here.

One thing we do well here is cold rain- my rain gauge totals just from the last three rainstorms:

1/12- 1.04 inches

1/18 - 1.55 inches

1/23- 1.56 inches

I've probably gotten more rain this month than the entire spring and summer combined... like I really need it now! lol

TWC forecast has our region as 1-3 inches, LWX has Calvert and St Mary's as 2-3 but Charles has 1-2. They took the winter storm watch away from Charles but left it up for Calvert and St Mary's... idk why.

One thing we do well here is cold rain- my rain gauge totals just from the last three rainstorms:

1/12- 1.04 inches

1/18 - 1.55 inches

1/23- 1.56 inches

I've probably gotten more rain this month than the entire spring and summer combined... like I really need it now! lol

TWC forecast has our region as 1-3 inches, LWX has Calvert and St Mary's as 2-3 but Charles has 1-2. They took the winter storm watch away from Charles but left it up for Calvert and St Mary's... idk why.

East of the bay should do well

1/12- 1.04 inches

1/18 - 1.55 inches

1/23- 1.56 inches

I feel a bust coming.  WSW that will almost surely be changed to an advisory tomorrow for 1-2.  Hope I'm wrong though.  As has been discussed at great length, Miller B's almost always screw us.  Only thing we have in our favor is how close we will be to the wrap around being on the west side of the bay.  All depends on how far south and how close to the coast the coastal forms.

They pulled the plug for the winter storm watches as SOMDweather predicted. Currently light rain here and 38 (while most of the region is snow). :-(

We're not gonna get any help from the clipper so we'll need to rely on the coastal part of this, which is when the WWA is in effect (tonight into tomorrow).

They pulled the plug for the winter storm watches as SOMDweather predicted. Currently light rain here and 38 (while most of the region is snow). :-(

We're not gonna get any help from the clipper so we'll need to rely on the coastal part of this, which is when the WWA is in effect (tonight into tomorrow).

LWX still going with 2-4 for Calvert and St. Mary's.  I'd be pretty happy with that all things considered with this storm.

LWX still going with 2-4 for Calvert and St. Mary's.  I'd be pretty happy with that all things considered with this storm.

My LWX forecast has deflated (ha!) down to 1-2 inches. I'm getting some light sleet and snow now so I'm hoping I can least get a pity inch. Its not sticking yet though, still above freezing here.

Absolutely ridiculous that they closed schools today and they left the base open.  No reason to close schools today.  I'm sure that put a lot of people in a bind, myself included.  

Schools were originally 2 hr delay at 5am and I feel that was a good decision.  After driving to base and seeing the road conditions, I was shocked to hear they changed to close. 

Schools were originally 2 hr delay at 5am and I feel that was a good decision.  After driving to base and seeing the road conditions, I was shocked to hear they changed to close. 

Yeah, i got the first call from St. John's at 5:00 as well and figured I could live with a two hour delay.  Then they changed it to closed shortly thereafter and my wife and I were like WTF?  She had a full day of patients scheduled so I find myself "teleworking" right now.