• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Southern MD / Lower Eastern Shore weather discussion

PrinceFrederickWx

Btw welcome back! Hope you stick around to post during the storm!

Oh I plan on it. I'm a teacher and this is becoming a big time hobby of mine. I just got a GoPro for Christmas and plan on playing with it a lot during the storm.

I read a lot and sometimes want to ask questions but they get answered even before I ask. I think this subforum is a great idea though since we are usually way different than DC/NOVA/Baltimore good to kind of have our own obs.

On side note, there is a spotter class for winter weather in La Plata tomorrow night in case anyone is interested. Link is http://www.weather.gov/lwx/skywarn . You have to register and all but it's there.

Oh I plan on it. I'm a teacher and this is becoming a big time hobby of mine. I just got a GoPro for Christmas and plan on playing with it a lot during the storm.

I read a lot and sometimes want to ask questions but they get answered even before I ask. I think this subforum is a great idea though since we are usually way different than DC/NOVA/Baltimore good to kind of have our own obs.

On side note, there is a spotter class for winter weather in La Plata tomorrow night in case anyone is interested. Link is http://www.weather.gov/lwx/skywarn . You have to register and all but it's there.

Wish I had known about that- I took the basic spotter one in Charlotte Hall last October and have been meaning to take the winter one. Oh well, I couldn't have gotten off work early tomorrow to make it anyway.

If you see any trained spotter reports from Prince Frederick they might be mine!

Per WxBell, 0z Euro has 16 for S DE, 10 for SBY, 19 for Cambridge, And 20+ N&W of there. Probably overdone, as I believe most of us will see some sleet, even rain on the lower shore.

Classic snow mix rain back to snow on the end situation. My wonder is whether the bulk of accumulations are on the front or back end?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Classic snow mix rain back to snow on the end situation. My wonder is whether the bulk of accumulations are on the front or back end?

Hard to say at this point. Where you are near the coast, sleet and even rain at the height is possible. Will start as snow, and it will go back to snow as the low pulls away. Per WxBell looks like 6" at Lewes right at the coast. Just few miles inland its 10-12.

Right now I'm thinking the front end thump will be where we see the most snow. Probably 4"-8" in Salisbury before changing to rain and sleet. Could get another couple inches Saturday evening/night when it changes back, maybe more especially if dynamics remain strong and a possible deformation band sets up. Still have time to narrow everything down.

Right now I'm thinking the front end thump will be where we see the most snow. Probably 4"-8" in Salisbury before changing to rain and sleet. Could get another couple inches Saturday evening/night when it changes back, maybe more especially if dynamics remain strong and a possible deformation band sets up. Still have time to narrow everything down.

The biggest story around here could be the winds and coastal flooding.... I'm hearing some big name storms being tossed around as comparisons..

Ash Wednesday 62

cobb data for NHK from 6z GFS. I'm not an expert on how to use these properly but looks like a front end thump of 8" before flip to sleet and rain, finishing as snow again. The front end snow is assuming ratios of 13:1 it looks like, which I think is too high (I always assume the standard 10:1). Someone can correct me if I'm looking at this wrong.

http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~ckarsten/cobb/cobb.php?model=gfsm&site=nhk

...and amidst all the chaos- WWA up for southern MD for this evening- the Calvert and St. Mary's one has us down for 1-2" although my point and click says only a half inch. This would have been a big deal a week ago LOL

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC
1114 AM EST WED JAN 20 2016

MDZ017-018-210015-
/O.NEW.KLWX.WW.Y.0002.160120T2300Z-160121T0500Z/
/O.CON.KLWX.BZ.A.0001.160122T1700Z-160124T1100Z/
ST. MARYS-CALVERT-
1114 AM EST WED JAN 20 2016

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO
MIDNIGHT EST TONIGHT...
...BLIZZARD WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH
LATE SATURDAY NIGHT...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON HAS
ISSUED A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW... WHICH IS IN EFFECT
FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO MIDNIGHT EST TONIGHT.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW FOR THIS WEDNESDAY EVENING. HEAVY SNOW AND
  WIND FRIDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT. A WINTRY MIX IS
  POSSIBLE FRIDAY NIGHT INTO SATURDAY MORNING BEFORE CHANGING
  BACK TO ALL SNOW ON SATURDAY.

* ACCUMULATIONS...1 TO 2 INCHES THIS WEDNESDAY EVENING. POTENTIAL
  FOR A FOOT OR MORE OF SNOW FRIDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH SATURDAY
  NIGHT.

* TIMING...SNOW THIS WEDNESDAY EVENING...THEN HEAVY SNOW FRIDAY
  AFTERNOON THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT. CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED TO
  DETERIORATE FRIDAY AFTERNOON WITH THE HEAVIEST SNOW...STRONGEST
  WINDS...AND POTENTIAL LIFE THREATENING CONDITIONS EXPECTED
  FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT.

* IMPACTS...ROADS THIS EVENING WILL BE SNOW COVERED AND
  SLIPPERY...AND THIS WILL MAKE TRAVELLING HAZARDOUS. FOR FRIDAY
  AFTERNOON THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT...HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW
  WILL CAUSE DANGEROUS CONDITIONS AND WILL BE A THREAT TO LIFE AND
  PROPERTY. TRAVEL IS EXPECTED TO BE SEVERELY LIMITED IF NOT
  IMPOSSIBLE DURING THE HEIGHT OF THE STORM FRIDAY NIGHT AND
  SATURDAY. VISIBILITY WILL BE REDUCED TO NEAR ZERO AT TIMES IN
  WHITEOUT CONDITIONS.

* WINDS...LIGHT AND VARIABLE THIS EVENING. NORTHEAST 10 TO 15 MPH
  FRIDAY. NORTHEAST WINDS WILL INCREASE TO 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS
  TO 40 MPH FRIDAY NIGHT...THEN SHIFT NORTH SATURDAY THROUGH
  SATURDAY NIGHT.

* TEMPERATURES...MIDDLE 20S THIS EVENING. UPPER 20S TO LOWER 30S
  FOR MOST LOCATIONS FRIDAY THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

FOR WEDNESDAY EVENING...A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MEANS THAT
PERIODS OF SNOW WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR
SLIPPERY ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILE
DRIVING.

USE THIS ADVANCE NOTICE TO PLAN AHEAD! ADJUST TRAVEL PLANS...AND
PLANNED ACTIVITIES. STOCK UP ON NECESSITIES. MAKE PLANS FOR
ELDERLY FAMILY AND THOSE MOST AT RISK. PREPARE FOR THE
POSSIBILITY OF POWER OUTAGES DURING SNOWY AND COLD CONDITIONS.
USE THIS TIME TO MINIMIZE IMPACT ON YOU...YOUR FAMILY...AND YOUR
COMMUNITY.

Hard to take the 30"+ seriously down here with there being a decent chance of mixing.  Unless we don't?!?!

I dont know if I really buy that bulls-eye area. Plus the wxbell maps are overdone. 1-2 feet seems likely, and where the best mesoscale banding sets up will determine where the higher amounts end up.

12 Euro snowfall per wxbell-

SBY 13

Cambridge 19

Easton 19

Dover 20

Lewes 10-12

Lower So MD 20

GREAT run for the whole area. Most everyone is within a couple inches of 20. Higher amounts in mountains of Western VA

Wowwwww!!!!!! That is huge, biggest storm in a few years for us. Debeaches, I agree, power outages likely, and the coastal flooding over the canal could be bad..can't remember what the all time record is down there?

I'll take a foot in the 'Bury and be be quite happy.  How sloppy is it, though?  Much rain to melt all our front-end thump away? Don't mind sleet, but hate the rain in the middle of storms. 

This will be our problem.  I would expect a good thump up front, brief mix, extended rain, brief mix, then snow again at the backend.  I would imagine the only accumulation will be a base layer of slush and then whatever comes at the end.