Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh, PA Thread: Winter '14-'15

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got in and was able to look at the models. With the models trending more and more NW I think NWS will have to up totals for tonight. The latest Hrrr shows several hours of moderate snow after midnight for all of Allegheny county. I am guessing we go up to 1-3 in all areas for overnight. Maybe 2-4 South and East. Thoughts?

Based on radar maps this afternoon, seems like 700 hPa is saturating farther to the north than expected/modeled.  Could be a hint that the northward trend is real and 1-3" indeed are possible across Washington-Allegheny-Armstrong-Indiana Cos. tonight.  Could be 4" perhaps somewhere in the Greene Co. area.  Then as you get farther south toward Morgantown, p-type becomes an issue.

Based on radar maps this afternoon, seems like 700 hPa is saturating farther to the north than expected/modeled. Could be a hint that the northward trend is real and 1-3" indeed are possible across Washington-Allegheny-Armstrong-Indiana Cos. tonight. Could be 4" perhaps somewhere in the Greene Co. area. Then as you get farther south toward Morgantown, p-type becomes an issue.

According to the NWS, precip type issues are going to be further north than that. My forecast for tonight in Bethel Park is a rain/snow mix in the beginning eventually changing to snow. Calling for an inch. Lack of cold air in place for this system I think is going to give a lot of people a mixed bag of precip. You're going to have to be in just the right spot to get all snow out of this one.

According to the NWS, precip type issues are going to be further north than that. My forecast for tonight in Bethel Park is a rain/snow mix in the beginning eventually changing to snow. Calling for an inch. Lack of cold air in place for this system I think is going to give a lot of people a mixed bag of precip. You're going to have to be in just the right spot to get all snow out of this one.

I have much respect for the NWS.  Looking at the syncopic set-up and current conditions, though, suggest to me SW PA may get a snowier outcome.  Consider that the ~5:51 p.m. KPIT temperature/dew point were 33F/24F, KAGC 34F/21F, and KAFJ (Washington) 34F/25F.  These temp/dew point pairs suggest to me that some evaporational cooling should occur to get the air temperature < 32F.  Based on this, I am thinking that the "jackpot" should occur near the Washington/Greene Co. border.  Near Waynesburg and on south look to have p-type issues.

I have much respect for the NWS.  Looking at the syncopic set-up and current conditions, though, suggest to me SW PA may get a snowier outcome.  Consider that the ~5:51 p.m. KPIT temperature/dew point were 33F/24F, KAGC 34F/21F, and KAFJ (Washington) 34F/25F.  These temp/dew point pairs suggest to me that some evaporational cooling should occur to get the air temperature < 32F.  Based on this, I am thinking that the "jackpot" should occur near the Washington/Greene Co. border.  Near Waynesburg and on south look to have p-type issues.

What about Sundays storm ???

I have much respect for the NWS. Looking at the syncopic set-up and current conditions, though, suggest to me SW PA may get a snowier outcome. Consider that the ~5:51 p.m. KPIT temperature/dew point were 33F/24F, KAGC 34F/21F, and KAFJ (Washington) 34F/25F. These temp/dew point pairs suggest to me that some evaporational cooling should occur to get the air temperature < 32F. Based on this, I am thinking that the "jackpot" should occur near the Washington/Greene Co. border. Near Waynesburg and on south look to have p-type issues.

I hope you're right. It would definitely be nice to see the rain/snow line stay south of me for a change.

What about Sundays storm ???

18z GFS has the best outcome I have seen so far as its come a little further north than 12z. With that being said, I fully expect this to wobble back and forth until probably 00z tomorrow due to 2 factors, 1 the system won't be fully sampled until tomorrow morning and 2. the strength, track and speed tomorrow system moves out will have actually taken place so what effect it has on the clipper should be much more clear.

Archived