Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh, PA Thread: Winter '14-'15

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could be a heavy burst of snow working northward from near the Elizabeth area.  Correlation coefficient maps previously suggested this was an area of mixed precip, but those signals have dissipated even as the reflectivity increased.

Yay, this is right near me in Elizabeth Township! Thanks for this info. My outside temp is currently 32.9.

I wonder if they will upgrade Allegheny County to a Winter Storm Warning. People are used to these winter weather advisories every time there's a light dusting of snow, especially this winter. It could be a bit of a shock to wake up to 6" of snow in the morning under an advisory for the general public. Especially since 6" is technically warning criteria.

A lot of us veterans who have been on this forum for years used to get mad at NWS Pit because they were always too conservative and wait til the last minute to make calls. I think as much as we don't like it they do the right thing to get the calls right. Look what is going on over in NYC right now. They came out this afternoon with calls of 25-36 inches of snow based on several runs of the Euro a day and a half before the event instead of waiting. If tonight's NAM and GFS verify tonight then this same area will end up with 6-10 inches which is still a big storm but a bust compared to 25-36. And these idiot (ratings hypers) at TWC run with it all day saying dangerous conditions in NYC and have fun finding your cars buried, will look bad as well.

I know as I get older and watch these storms materialize I realize that if you hope for the best scenario you will get let down 90% of the time and if you play it conservatively you will be pleasantly surprised 50% of the time.

Still moderate snow and 29 degrees. Just measured officially 2.1 inches.

Like most folks here, right about 2" so far. Would be nice if that precip down in WV could make it up here before dissipating, especially for jwilson's sake( terrible screwjob so far)

As far as TWC, those mets know what the deal is, but unfortunatly NBC/Universal is calling the shots. So the on air personalities were probably told to hype the most extreme model solution, to generate ratings.

Archived