amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Pittsburgh, PA Thread: Winter '14-'15

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0LWW8zv.png

Why does this look so different than the weatherbell map? Weatherbell has us maybe getting 2-4. This has us in 6+????

They must use a different algorithm for calculating snow fall. From what I was able to piece together it tracks from WV into NE PA, so given that I'd say that is a prime warm tongue scenario and would hedge on the WxBell(since it shows lower totals), although its probably to high for extreme SW PA as we all know how the slop line is further North than modeled most of the time. The trajectory of the track looks ok, we just need it further South.

Looks like the Thursday clipper is trending North on models so doubtful we get any meaningful snow, and more likely rain then some snow showers as the cold front passes barring a major shift.

Edit: Just read NWS discussion and they seem a bit more bullish for frozen and or concerns with below freezing ground temps and rain so I guess it still merits watching.

Hey everyone!  I really enjoy reading here, but I honestly don't know much about models. What are the odds that the Euro verifies at this point? Just asking because I'm in the 12" area. I don't drive a 4-wheel drive, so if we are getting that much snow, I definitely need to get out and grab some stuff, lol. Don't get me wrong, my car is a beast in the snow, but at some point, it's definitely too much for it :)

Hey everyone!  I really enjoy reading here, but I honestly don't know much about models. What are the odds that the Euro verifies at this point? Just asking because I'm in the 12" area. I don't drive a 4-wheel drive, so if we are getting that much snow, I definitely need to get out and grab some stuff, lol. Don't get me wrong, my car is a beast in the snow, but at some point, it's definitely too much for it :)

We're still about 5 days away, so a lot will change between now and then. This storm has been showing up for days now on all of the models so it could be something significant. Still a lot of time for things to change though. Fun to track anyway.

Generally you need to wait until the energy gets sampled to get a better idea as to whether we are going to get anything significant.  Should be late Friday or so to get sampling.  So, dont take these models verbatim, especially this far out.  They just give you the general idea that there is going to potentially be a significant storm affecting a large portion of the midwest and northeast.  With the way the storm is currently modeled it is very common for warm air to come up into our area causing more of a mixed precip, rather than all snow, especially for Pittsburgh south.

Is the Euro a bit south and east of the GFS? The GFS looks like it's still giving us slop for a lot of the event.

It's hard to tell on the 24 hour panels, but it looks like the Euro may be a hair SE of the GFS. That being said, I think that stripe of pink that extends into SW PA is a pretty solid signature for a warm tongue given the track of the low. This snow algorithm may not take that into account very well. If this whole thing shifts SE but takes the same general track I think we will be in good shape. Some nice High pressure to the north nosing in with some legitimate arctic air too so we may see a trend towards colder depending how the storm evolves. Decent moisture connection as well.

Gfs was way north with snow ,,, euro has it a little south ,,with the high to the north this can push low further south,,also someone said on accu forum last night that this storm phased?? I have 4 small boys twins 5. Boy 3 boy 1 And wife pregnant again due in April girl this time. And I run my own company. I probily track these things more than I should. I get sucked in. Lol.

Gfs was way north with snow ,,, euro has it a little south ,,with the high to the north this can push low further south,,also someone said on accu forum last night that this storm phased?? I have 4 small boys twins 5. Boy 3 boy 1 And wife pregnant again due in April girl this time. And I run my own company. I probily track these things more than I should. I get sucked in. Lol

It is phasing of the northern stream and a piece of the low sitting over the baja peninsula. How a big of a piece from that baja low phases and how soon determines the strength of the system. Another part to watch is how this clipper behaves if it phases in the PV  after it passes us and heads north which would helps create some confluence with the highs pushing down. These 2 variables will determine the track of the storm.

I think we all spend to much time tracking these things, more than we realize or would care to admit. :)

It is phasing of the northern stream and a piece of the low sitting over the baja peninsula. How a big of a piece from that baja low phases and how soon determines the strength of the system. Another part to watch is how this clipper behaves if it phases in the PV  after it passes us and heads north which would helps create some confluence with the highs pushing down. These 2 variables will determine the track of the storm.

I think we all spend to much time tracking these things, more than we realize or would care to admit. :)

Yes. I. Hope we good track. Lol

Man what a dramatic shift on the GFS. Went from a bombing low pressure to a strung out mess in 1 run

Yeah, later phase and less energy involved. It will be interesting to see the ensembles, but I bet the OP may be on the SE edge but we shall see.

If the Euro comes in more amped and west toss everything else. When has that ever failed anyone before? :ph34r:

Archived