Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh, PA Thread: Winter '14-'15

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sandy Lake got 7", a lot of Ohio counties got 5". Locally looks like 2-3" was the norm.

http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/lsr/#PBZ/201501261200/201501261200/0100

Sent from my iPhone

No, not really. A lot of folks got 3-5 inches. Like I said, I had 3 inches in the valley. Ross had 5 and would imagine up on top of hills away from the river 4 was the norm. Another 2-3 today and many may be pushing 7+.

Cant say I am surprised this underperformed for MBY. Looking ahead, models back to picking up weekend storm. One of these will get MBY with over 4 inches.... Boston looks to be the jackpot area again. They could pull off a Buffalo type of situation if this verifies.

img-resized.png Reduced 38%

post-12737-1422270529_thumb.png

1024 x 780 (92.04K)

And you say was like that is total accumulation. Remember, a good chance at another 2-4 today across the area.

Just going by what has been reported by the link and we didn't see much at my place, as you can see by the picture I posted on my drive to work. I be shocked if we saw 4" today to be honest. I am thinking 1-2" in most areas possibly and its going to have a tough time sticking on roads.

Just going by what has been reported by the link and we didn't see much at my place, as you can see by the picture I posted on my drive to work. I be shocked if we saw 4" today to be honest. I am thinking 1-2" in most areas possibly and its going to have a tough time sticking on roads.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&product=PNS&issuedby=PBZ

Maybe you should try the official link for reports. Most of the smaller amounts are from last night. 3-5 looks like the general rule.

You can't tell anything from that picture.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&product=PNS&issuedby=PBZ

Maybe you should try the official link for reports. Most of the smaller amounts are from last night. 3-5 looks like the general rule.

2-4 looks to be the general rule, with a couple locations as an outlier.  The majority of locations got 3 inches and under.

Your School closed at like 930 last night too.

Sent from my iPhone

yea I know but the recording from the famous lady who calls us to advise delays said it was not only for the snow but also for the Joey Fabus funeral which has law enforcement from all over the state in town this morning for a funeral in bethel park....its snowing again so maybe we can get 4-6 total by tonight.....I thought most of it would have come thru the night....

Are all of those reports trained spotters? I live in Natrona heights which is less than 2 miles from Tarentum and there is no way we are close to 5 inches here. 

Take the reports with a grain of salt. Some guy from Creighton apparently tweets Scott Harbaugh this morning said said he got 8" of snow. 2-4" area wide looked like a good call, there were some 3" areas and a few areas got more.

Its been snowing here very light for the last hour or so, nothing is really sticking, but we will see what happens. NWS Calling for 1-3" today.

Why didn't they bump up to warning???do you think they will ?

Winter storm warning criteria is as follows, 6 inches or more in a 12 hour period or 8 inches or more in a 24 hour period. In addition to this, the forecasters must have a certain level of confidence that those totals will be widespread for the entire county being considered for the warning. Certain situations a warning may be issued even if this criteria is not met, ie an early or late season storm or one that could severely effect a certain travel period. Winter Storm Watches are intended to turn into Warnings, hence why they are not issued then downgraded if a storm doesn’t look to hit the warning criteria.

That being said, this storm never showed anyone getting 6 in 12 hours, more like 6 in 24 -36 hours so this is why a warning was not hoisted for any counties.

That 3-5 forecast was a good call.

Looks like the inverted through is giving us some enhancement to the snow.

Yeah..I think there is a good chance that we end with about 5-8 in the county. I know in emsworth I'll have about 5 but the higher elevation will pretty easily have 6-8 inches.

Snow seems to be picking up everywhere. I did pick up close to 5 inches overnight. I am lucky that I am a higher elevation and had that band over me most of last night. I think everyone will be surprised by what we get today. Especially the people in the South Hills that received 2 or 3 inches. I think some of you will see 3 or 4 today if the bands set up over the county. I never understand why people want to see it snow and then when it does they bicker over the amounts. Just enjoy what you get. That's why they have ranges. If it is 4-8 some will get 4 and some will get 8. So be it. Better than our usual 1 inch or less slop fest

Are all of those reports trained spotters? I live in Natrona heights which is less than 2 miles from Tarentum and there is no way we are close to 5 inches here. 

Yeah, I'm in New Ken, right across for the Giant Eagle and I measured about 2.75-3 inches this morning before I left for work so I find it hard to believe someone got 5 unless they are including the 1-3 that was still on the ground in most places prior to the start of the storm. Hard to imagine a band that localized, but I guess its possible.

Snow seems to be picking up everywhere. I did pick up close to 5 inches overnight. I am lucky that I am a higher elevation and had that band over me most of last night. I think everyone will be surprised by what we get today. Especially the people in the South Hills that received 2 or 3 inches. I think some of you will see 3 or 4 today if the bands set up over the county. I never understand why people want to see it snow and then when it does they bicker over the amounts. Just enjoy what you get. That's why they have ranges. If it is 4-8 some will get 4 and some will get 8. So be it. Better than our usual 1 inch or less slop fest

I agree, my post wasn't to discount everyone's reports, just to clarify I think sometimes these reports are wrong either intentionally or just ignorance of the person measuring.

We are pretty solid looking on the radar for the next several hours at least

Yeah I agree, this was modeled pretty well too. We had the first batch move through last night, and most got 2-4 with some higher lollipops here and there, and I think most will get another 2-3 today which will bring us up to the 4-6 NWS had on the maps.

Looks like my own forecast for down here may bust, and I was conservative to begin with.  It quite literally just started snowing within the last hour here.  Zero accumulations up to this point.  I guess if we get an inch it will technically be right.  NWS dropped the WWA for us late last night.

Archived