• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh, PA Thread: Winter '14-'15

Nice light snow falling right now, everything is covered. I guess the bright side is we get a decent snowy day out it before things go to hell later this evening. After say 7pm just pull the blinds down and don't open them back up until tomorrow morning. Its frustrating seeing how this storm could have been a really good one with 24-36 hours of snow. This storm really has little wrap around snow, at least on the models so we go from light snow, to moderate rain, back to light snow from the looks of it.

NWS still has me just barely in the 3-4 range per this map, but that may be bit to high. This map certainly seems to fit climo though as it always seems just north into Armstrong county gets hit while we get slop. I don't know how many times I've measured a couple inches while at my parents house they have double what I get in these situations.

10292278_713989568699129_614604307544966

The weather up here in Armstrong has always had me scratching my head.  I live 1 mile south of 422 and it can be raining here in Ford City, while on the other side of the bridge in Kittanning, they can have a blizzard going.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All snow as of now. My temp says 33, imby. I'm trying out a new weather station from acurite, so I hope that's right. Tried to keep the sensor away from everything outside. Anyway, look at the bright side guys. The rain we get later we'll wash off that nasty salt that's on our vehicles. Hopefully we get a little backend snow tomorrow to replace what we may lose tonight. It is definitely frustrating to see those big numbers just to our north. The warm tongue just can't be stopped most of the time.

I'm getting some pretty big flakes coming down and they're getting bigger. Pretty to see but usually that means temps are rising and it's getting closer to changing over to rain. Hopefully, this hangs on for a while before the eventual changeover.

UPDATE......

I just jinxed myself with that comment. The changeover is happening already where I'm at. Rain mixing in. Well, that was fun.

Looks like the front end precip has consolidated like I hoped.

At least we got some snow out of this bad situation.

That's my hope, snow for the daylight hours, then dry slot then close the curtains and go to bed over night and miss the ugly. With any luck the liquid portion gets cut back by the storm tracking almost directly over head.

Well we go from a foot to maybe 3 inches and rain. Hopefully this dryslots and we avoid a lot of the rain. I want to retain my snowpack.

I decided to look at the longterm and the pattern looks good for us but as Thunderhead taught me don't get excited about snow until atleast 48 hrs out and even thats a stretch.

Moderate snow with big flakes coming down now. Really awesome to watch it come down like this. I think we are making the best out of a bad situation today.

Just spoke with my grandmother who lives in new ken, she lives up the hill from Giant Eagle. She says it's coming down pretty good and to be careful driving (again, grandmother). Glad to see you guys are getting something out of his mess.

Archived