• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh, PA Thread: Winter '14-'15

A lot of meteoligist are saying gfs is ignoring the H up north. Euro vs american. Let's see if euro hangs in. If euro is way north I say throw towel but if it is not we have 50/50 chance. For all or mostly snow. I don't beleive any senario yet. These transfers are hard for the models to grasp on. And in the past we always get shafted but the H up north isn't there for no reason. It's there to shunt this south. And to funnel cold air into the storm. ...

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This storm has been over for me for 24 hours+ now.  The writing was on the wall.  Once the systems were sampled by the models, the north trend started.  Funnily enough the NAM was the first to pick up on it.  That thing is almost always wrong except when it shows an unfavorable solution, it seems like.

Boston wins again.  That's just the pattern, true 40 North (almost 41 North) winter.  I won't expect different results unless we see the pattern change considerably.  Hopefully you city guys can still stay all snow, but I'm guessing we get zero accumulations down here.  Not the first time I've seen basically every county in PA have a watch except for Greene, haha.

2 products issued by NWS for: Pittsburgh PA

Winter Weather Advisory
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA228 PM EST SAT JAN 31 2015OHZ039-040-048>050-057>059-PAZ021-029-073-074-WVZ001>003-010330-/O.UPG.KPBZ.WS.A.0001.150201T0900Z-150202T1700Z//O.NEW.KPBZ.WW.Y.0010.150201T0900Z-150202T1700Z/TUSCARAWAS-CARROLL-COSHOCTON-HARRISON-JEFFERSON OH-MUSKINGUM-GUERNSEY-BELMONT-ALLEGHENY-WASHINGTON-WESTMORELAND-WESTMORELAND RIDGES-HANCOCK-BROOKE-OHIO-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEW PHILADELPHIA...CARROLLTON...COSHOCTON...CADIZ...STEUBENVILLE...ZANESVILLE...CAMBRIDGE...ST. CLAIRSVILLE...PITTSBURGH METRO AREA...WASHINGTON...GREENSBURG...LATROBE...LIGONIER...DONEGAL...WEIRTON...BETHANY...WHEELING228 PM EST SAT JAN 31 2015...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM SUNDAY TO NOON ESTMONDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PITTSBURGH HAS ISSUED A WINTERWEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM SUNDAY TONOON EST MONDAY. THE SNOW MAY MIX WITH FREEZING RAIN AND SLEETSUNDAY NIGHT. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.* ICE ACCUMULATIONS...A TRACE TO A TENTH OF AN INCH.* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...2 TO 5 INCHES.* SNOW BEGINNING...LATE TONIGHT.* PERIOD OF MOST INTENSE SNOW...SUNDAY AFTERNOON AND NIGHT. A  WINTRY MIX IS ALSO POSSIBLE SUNDAY NIGHT.* SNOW ENDING...MONDAY AFTERNOON.* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED DUE TO  ACCUMULATION OF A WINTRY MIX OF SNOW AND ICE...AND REDUCED  VISIBILITY.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MEANS THAT SNOW...SLEET...OR FREEZINGRAIN WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING ANDREPORT SNOW AND ICE ACCUMULATION TO THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICEBY CALLING 412-262-1988...POSTING TO THE NWS PITTSBURGH FACEBOOKPAGE...OR USING TWITTER @NWSPITTSBURGH.&&$$07

Found this on another site.  Grasping at straws I guess...

This is still VERY experimental right now, but I tried out a "snow uncertainty" map highlighting areas where I am concerned the most significant changes in snow totals might occur with any minor shift in the evolution of the system... these roughly correspond with +/- 1" uncertainty in the light blue, 3" in moderate blue, and 5" in dark blue. I tried to factor in both ensemble spread, model spread & consistency, and other factors such as dry air & sharp northern gradient.

post-15491-1422750228_thumb.png

Nice light snow falling right now, everything is covered. I guess the bright side is we get a decent snowy day out it before things go to hell later this evening. After say 7pm just pull the blinds down and don't open them back up until tomorrow morning. Its frustrating seeing how this storm could have been a really good one with 24-36 hours of snow. This storm really has little wrap around snow, at least on the models so we go from light snow, to moderate rain, back to light snow from the looks of it.

NWS still has me just barely in the 3-4 range per this map, but that may be bit to high. This map certainly seems to fit climo though as it always seems just north into Armstrong county gets hit while we get slop. I don't know how many times I've measured a couple inches while at my parents house they have double what I get in these situations.

10292278_713989568699129_614604307544966

Archived