Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Friday 1/9 Light Snow Event

IsentropicLift

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is why you look to get the pattern in place first, then small events pop up here and there once its established. Happens every snow season. I love nickel and dime events in succession, not everything can be a blockbuster.  

Looks like a good chance at a solid inch across the area for some more mood snows.

For one this isn't a clipper. It's a true arctic front with good moisture rather than something that's going to die out and then redevelop offshore.

Well a clipper is passing to our north though. This is essentially "kicking down" the jet stream and keeping the cold air in place.....kind of like rolling a ball on a big elastic band. After this clipper has passed us by completely to the north, the jet stream stars to shift back north and temps moderate this weekend (elastic pulls itself back)

Nam looks good for a intense squall line tomorrow afternoon

Yeah we'll see if it holds this solution. (I know you mean for Friday though, not tomorrow lol)....right now, it puts down a very quick 1-2" for most and even 3" or so for NW NJ. Snowfall rates of 2-3"/hour. As we know, if the NAM is good at something, it's giving the signal for strong banding. Where it will happen is another story.....but looks nice right now

Nws says the front on Friday has very limited moisture. And the chance of snow showers will be limited With the best chance n&w of the metro.

They are probably humping the globals. Personally I think the higher res models such as the RGEM/NAM have better skill in these situations.

rgem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_15.png

f45.gif

No change by the RGEM

gemregPR12.10.gif?t=1420730205

That's incredible.....I've never seen two consecutive model runs look nearly IDENTICAL in regards to the placement of the moisture on the map!! The darker blue are in pretty much the same exact locations. At first I assumed you accidentally posted the same model run as before

With Surface temps in the teens & 850s in the teens I can see someone in the interior picking up 2-3" if the RGEM were to verify

I agree. You guys could pick up a quick few inches if the RGEM were correct. Beware of the RGEM though. It wasn't good with the last small event earlier this week.

With Surface temps in the teens & 850s in the teens I can see someone in the interior picking up 2-3" if the RGEM were to verify

Yeah the RGEM would be a quick hitting 1-3" event, but it's really by itself on this one. Even the normally overdone Euro WxBell maps have a coating at best.

Archived