CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
1/7-1/8 Brief, Intense Cold Shot

Hoosier

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cold is kinda meh here, compared to what was forecasted. Temps easily rising every hour. Wind of course makes it a little nasty. Imagine overnight mins are going to come in warmer as well in the LAF. But, still solid cold compared to what we've had thus far this winter.

I don't think we're going to rise much more...I'd say a degree or two at best.  Coldest air aloft overhead now and for the next few hours.  Of course the midnight high will make it warmer for historical purposes.

-7F on the bluff (about 500ft above the city) and -3F at the airport at we approach noon.  Sitting at the kitchen table with full sunshine streaming in feels pretty good (almost hot)...Jan sun+ snowcover helps ...i've read that solar panels can overproduce on days like this.   Once i lose the sun, this old dump, i mean house cools off fast. 

Overnite lows weren't bad, but the winds sure didn't help...no school around here today.

This really isn't anything out of the norm for this area...if we keep keep lows -20F or warmer, i'm good.

I hate thinking what this warm sun is doing on some of my trees right now...the reflection of the snow on bark can really warm it up quick ......i think a lot of winter damage is caused by days like this. 

Milwaukee Public Schools are closed tomorrow. Point has a high of 11. They weren't closed today. I suppose the afternoon snow could have an impact, but I'm baffled along with the local mets.

It all has to do with the low temp tonight/in the morning and the wind chills.

Not too impressed with this cold outbreak.  Sure it's cold, but nothing too special.  Temps held around zero most of the day, and the point originally only had us reaching -7.  Meh.

A year ago I think our wind chill was near -50F in the morning.  Today it was near -30.  We also reached near zero or even +1 this afternoon.  Both last year and this year, the high temp on the coldest day rose about five degrees higher than expected.

Also, like last year, there will not be a full night of optimum cooling that allows us to reach extreme temps like back in 2009.  Tonight we should bottom out later this evening and then rise after midnight.

It all has to do with the low temp tonight/in the morning and the wind chills.

I have to think some of it has to do with treacherous travel for the afternoon/evening rush.  It may be that they just think less people/parents on the roads will help the cause for others, wouldn't be surprised at all if that is the case.  Perhaps though they just got a lot of complaints for keeping things in session today.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE OMAHA/VALLEY NE

813 PM CST WED JAN 7 2015

...PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT...

THE SEA LEVEL PRESSURE TODAY WEDNESDAY JANUARY 7, 2015 AT THE

LINCOLN AIRPORT REACHED AS HIGH AS 1055.9 MB OR 31.18"...WHICH

SET THE ALL TIME RECORD HIGH SEA LEVEL PRESSURE. THE OLD RECORD

ALL TIME HIGH SEA LEVEL PRESSURE AT LINCOLN WAS 1054.5 MB OR

31.14" SET IN 1989.

THE SEA LEVEL PRESSURE TODAY WEDNESDAY JANUARY 7, 2015 AT EPPLEY

AIRPORT IN OMAHA REACHED AS HIGH AS 1055.3 MB OR 31.16"...WHICH

SET THE ALL TIME RECORD HIGH SEA LEVEL PRESSURE. THE OLD RECORD

ALL TIME HIGH SEA LEVEL PRESSURE AT OMAHA WAS 1053.7 MB OR 31.12"

SET IN 1989.

NUMEROUS OTHER SITES ACROSS THE NORTHERN AND CENTRAL PLAINS ALSO

SET ALL TIME RECORD HIGH SEA LEVEL PRESSURE VALUES IN ASSOCIATION

WITH THIS VERY COLD ARCTIC AREA OF HIGH PRESSURE.

Archived