Newest Member
    joxey
Potential coastal 12/8-10/2014

famartin

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

for who? Seemed to pound my area and many others

In Philly, the 18Z snow map should look much different from the 12Z, shown below... 

Still, even up there, its pretty warm.  Probably very low ratio with temps at your elevation probably still above freezing until after 0Z Wednesday.

post-39-0-09743800-1418071538_thumb.png

Poor Wxsim not doing very well this year....last storm sees mostly rain and it snows....this one keeps thinking ice and then 3 to 4" of snow and my NWS point and click under 1" and mainly just plain rain. I will re-run it later and maybe it will catch on. It was updated to include a built in learning routine so maybe it will learn from it's errors!

From today’s 1:06 PM discussion:

Area forecast discussion 

National Weather Service Mount Holly New Jersey 

106 PM EST Monday Dec 8 2014 

Tuesday...stormy. Precipitable water 1 to 2 South Dakota above normal. East-southeast inflow at 850 mb 

about 4 to 5 South Dakota above normal. Weakening 700 mb steering winds and 

eventual formation of a 700mb low over New Jersey keeps the dry slot over 

eastern New Jersey and banding to the west over the Delaware valley and 

westward. 

End of quote -

Can someone help this old noob with terminology?  All I can guess is that “South Dakota”above means Standard Deviation, but that does not make sense to me, at least in the context.  So, I’m guessing it means maybe something else.  Duh. I knw there are better ways to spend my time, but I was just wonderin'.

Thanks in advance - Jim Herbert - stemwinder

From today’s 1:06 PM discussion:

Area forecast discussion 

National Weather Service Mount Holly New Jersey 

106 PM EST Monday Dec 8 2014 

Tuesday...stormy. Precipitable water 1 to 2 South Dakota above normal. East-southeast inflow at 850 mb 

about 4 to 5 South Dakota above normal. Weakening 700 mb steering winds and 

eventual formation of a 700mb low over New Jersey keeps the dry slot over 

eastern New Jersey and banding to the west over the Delaware valley and 

westward. 

End of quote -

Can someone help this old noob with terminology?  All I can guess is that “South Dakota”above means Standard Deviation, but that does not make sense to me, at least in the context.  So, I’m guessing it means maybe something else.  Duh. I knw there are better ways to spend my time, but I was just wonderin'.

Thanks in advance - Jim Herbert - stemwinder

No, it is Standard Deviation (I guess that's a program that tries to make plain english out of the AFD?  the raw text just has SD)

Here's a link all about that (at least the PW part, you can guess the rest):

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/unr/?n=pw

No, it is Standard Deviation (I guess that's a program that tries to make plain english out of the AFD?  the raw text just has SD)

Here's a link all about that (at least the PW part, you can guess the rest):

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/unr/?n=pw

Ray, thanks for that, and for the link.  - Glad to hear that it's raining on the west coast at last, too.

Ray, thanks for that, and for the link.  - Glad to hear that it's raining on the west coast at last, too.

No problem.  Nothing in Elko for the last week or so, but that should change Friday.  At this point I'm just so tired of all the anxiety about the drought that I don't care what falls from the sky, as long as its a lot ;)

Yeah...

You guys have a solid handle on this event and kudos for all the effort on creating awareness on a storm that will bring a variety of impacts to such a large Forecast area with so many climo nuances.

Cheers Mt. Holly

Thanks. I think I lost some hair over the weekend trying to figure this one out.

Wxsim still holding on to ZR thru 12 noon tomorrow with 0.97" of precip before turning to rain as temps warm to 34.0 - temps then begin to fall going back below freezing by 7pm with ZR/IP mix transitioning to Moderate to Heavy Snow overnight into Wed AM then off and on light snow till almost midnight Total snow after the changeover near 4" here in the NW Philly burbs

Archived