Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December Banter

mackerel_sky

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone who uses this forum should donate! Seriously. This place is such a wealth of information. Please do your part!  :thumbsup:

I plan to again but probably not until late Jan. Anyway, I second this motion! Plus you get a cool star!

Webber, That second image for January could easily represent the current pattern we're in. Even February could represent this pattern. The big question is will the storm track move SE to put us in a winter weather pattern.

I like what I'm seeing across the board for the core of the core of the cold to move southeastward in February, there's nearly unanimous agreement in various analog packages I've looked through & all the +ENSO intensity & placement composites for this...

& historical support from NESIS storms and in the 33 El Nino events since 1900.

Monthly-NESIS-Normalized-Snowstorms-El-N

Per capita, El Nino Februarys are typically the most active for the eastern seaboard, El Nino Januarys are a distant second.

In Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, & Wilmington, NC for example, the largest proportion of snowfall by month in an El Nino comes in February, w/ nearly double the amount of snow occurring in February vs January in +ENSO state in cities like Columbia & Wilmington (& the proportion of Feb snowfall increases in every city against climo in +ENSO) which agrees w/ the fact that 8 of Columbia's all-time top 10 snows have occurred in February, 7 of the top 10 in Augusta, GA, and 5 of the top 10 in Wilmington, NC...

http://www.weather.gov/cae/Snowfall_Total_Records_cor.html

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/ilm/climate/SNOWFALL%20EXTREMES.pdf

RDU-Seasonal-Snowfall-Distribution-Clima

Columbia-SC-Seasonal-Snowfall-Distributi

Wilmington-NC-MonthlySeasonal-Snowfall-D

The snowfall database that has been kept by the NWS in Wilmington since 1870 is one of the most impressive & lengthy records I've come across to date... I looked at the daily occurrence of snowfall events (added +/- 1 day on each event to attempt to smooth out the data). What I found was that the climatological mean day of snowfall events in Wilmington is January 25th, the median (50th percentile) is January 30th. In +ENSO years, this mean is pushed back about 1 week to February 2nd & the median is February 5th... Thus even at the end of December, we still have about 85% of the winter (in terms of snow) left to go in central NC, and for a +ENSO winter (which we're currently in) we are still about 5 weeks away from even reaching the halfway point, this winter has only just begun...

Since we observed the 5th highest fall (SON) PDO on record, the trends in the PDO 500mb pattern are also worth looking at and only offer further support. Typically, w/ intensification/southeastward progression of the semi-permanent Aleutian Low during +PDO events, you force split flow over N America, w/ height rises further to the north & west, and a stronger than normal southern branch of the jet that slips underneath blasting away at the southeast US ridge, causing it to migrate further offshore and the heights to lower in our region, a pattern which shows strong semblance to the +PNA...

However, in February, the anomalous Aleutian trough migrates to the south & deflects the subtropical jet in such a manner where it takes more direct, zonal aim at the southeastern US ridge, forcing it to push even farther to our south & east, & it's this seasonal behavior of the Aleutian Low that indirectly leads February to be the "best" month for winter in the southeast & on the eastern seaboard...

PDO-December-500mb-correlation.gif

PDO-N-America-Jan-500mb-Correlation.gif

PDO-N-America-Feb-500mb-correlation.gif

I just realized what this winter feels like to this point.  You know when you are playing cards with the family or friends and there is the one seat that ALWAYS seems to get dealt crappy cards and no matter what you do (shuffle more when it's your turn, cut the cards, etc.) you can never seem to get a better hand?  

You usually realize at some point you are the one in that seat.  This winter certainly has that feeling.

I just realized what this winter feels like to this point.  You know when you are playing cards with the family or friends and there is the one seat that ALWAYS seems to get dealt crappy cards and no matter what you do (shuffle more when it's your turn, cut the cards, etc.) you can never seem to get a better hand?  

You usually realize at some point you are the one in that seat.  This winter certainly has that feeling.

post-987-0-02101100-1420051116_thumb.png

Archived