joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
40/70 Benchmark's Winter Outlook 2014-15

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd take 45-55" at BOS happily that's climo to a touch above and I think we'd all be happy with that after how this winter has started. Hell even 30" wouldn't be awful considering that's what my climo was up to this winter wouldn't be any different really. Get below 30" and it's ugly...

I'd say my gun to head number at BOS is ~40".

45-55". But even to get there we will need at least one 6"+ storm at some point.

You need to keep in mind that even subtle changes in the hemispheric pattern can produce what would be perceived as drastic changes in sensible weather, and once an abrupt change of this nature occurs, snowfall can add up quickly....ie a shift from what can go wrong will, to finding ways to snow.

Obviously to see truly large events, we would need a drastic atmospheric shift, i.e. the complete change of the n atl, but say that ridge of the west coast were to shift eastward a bit....December 2007 and 2008 each featured stretches in which our area accumulated nearly 30" of snow in one week's time.

That is without the benefit of a good Atlantic.

We get a favorable n Atl between now and mid March, and forget it.

People love to bandy about somber statistics illustrating how daunting a task it seems to continue a streak such as two consecutive well above avg snowfall seasons at KBOS, well...what are the odds that our region collectively whiffs on two, consecutive robust SAI seasons?

2010 and now 2015?

Not so sure....

Yea, I know.....2010 worked out, we just got very unlucky...sure, but be that as it may, I can only count what I shoveled.

They don't hand out trophies for having the best run differential throughout the regular season.

• 5 weeks later...

You need to keep in mind that even subtle changes in the hemispheric pattern can produce what would be perceived as drastic changes in sensible weather, and once an abrupt change of this nature occurs, snowfall can add up quickly....ie a shift from what can go wrong will, to finding ways to snow.

Obviously to see truly large events, we would need a drastic atmospheric shift, i.e. the complete change of the n atl, but say that ridge of the west coast were to shift eastward a bit....December 2007 and 2008 each featured stretches in which our area accumulated nearly 30" of snow in one week's time.

That is without the benefit of a good Atlantic.

We get a favorable n Atl between now and mid March, and forget it.

People love to bandy about somber statistics illustrating how daunting a task it seems to continue a streak such as two consecutive well above avg snowfall seasons at KBOS, well...what are the odds that our region collectively whiffs on two, consecutive robust SAI seasons?

2010 and now 2015?

Not so sure....

Yea, I know.....2010 worked out, we just got very unlucky...sure, but be that as it may, I can only count what I shoveled.

They don't hand out trophies for having the best run differential throughout the regular season.

Zero changes.

I missed verifying my 40-50" January call by .5" here.

With a current depth of 29", and a seasonal total of 64.5", i'm currently 1.5" over my seasonal mean, and 25.5" away from breaking my forecasted seasonal mean.

45.5" in just under one week, and 52" in 9 days.

My Feb total sits @ 16".

I'm forecasting 10-20" more throughout the month of February.

"The winter, like many winter weather enthusiasts here in southern New England, climaxes in January, as we witness persistent cold, at least one KU, perhaps two, in a January rivaling that of 2011. I suspect that a major event will be of the late blooming variety, and pummel eastern MA and ME especially hard"

I feel as though I captured the overall nature of the blizzard fairly well.

I have rushed the progression of the season by about 2-3 weeks.

Always room for improvement.

We are in sync My first 3 of 8

Week ending 1/24/15

+1.-1

Normal climo colder at end of week, possible cutter mid week

Week ending 1/31/15

-1,-2

Colder ,coastal storm interior heavier snow cold after end of week storm

Week ending 02/07

-3,-5

Cold Possible strong Miller B region wide snowstorm to start, deep cold then end of week back to climo

We are in sync My first 3 of 8

Week ending 1/24/15

+1.-1

Normal climo colder at end of week, possible cutter mid week

Week ending 1/31/15

-1,-2

Colder ,coastal storm interior heavier snow cold after end of week storm

Week ending 02/07

-3,-5

Cold Possible strong Miller B region wide snowstorm to start, deep cold then end of week back to climo

Great minds, Stevie...great minds.

I'm actually THIS close to upping my outlook....but Ive only had two winters hit the century mark.

Man, just think......2011 was reaching this depth at this exact juncture of the season, but that season, little did we know, was being truncated.

This one is just hitting its stride.

Frightening.

Greatest comeback since...last night's game?

Talk about an analog....2005

Weak Nino, slow start...then third weak of Jan BOOM. Blizzard, off to the races...then SB victory.

Just a little bit of history repeating.....

I may make a run at that season's lofty 107.5" total.

Talk about an analog....2005

Weak Nino, slow start...then third weak of Jan BOOM. Blizzard, off to the races...then SB victory.

Just a little bit of history repeating.....

I may make a run at that season's lofty 107.5" total.

You sound like Me! Always looking for historical correlations and everything.

Mine was 122". Don't know how I can beat that. But it's Possible.

• 1 month later...

Looks like Hooker right in the center of the belt is close to average. Perhaps a bit above. They avg around 250 for the season. Given they average snow in April too, their 242 looks slightly above average.

They actually had a lot more last year.

Lake Ontario is frozen over, correct? If so, I would imagine that has a lot to do with the "lower" totals in the Tug area.

Ontario had more ice on it last year actually. It rarely fully freezes like Lake Erie.

It's actually often a good thing for snow because the air masses that cause it to freeze produce epic LES a lot of the time. Just not really this winter as the trajectory hasn't always been great. Winters like the late 70s that caused them to freeze produced like 450" totals.

Ontario had more ice on it last year actually. It rarely fully freezes like Lake Erie.

It's actually often a good thing for snow because the air masses that cause it to freeze produce epic LES a lot of the time. Just not really this winter as the trajectory hasn't always been great. Winters like the late 70s that caused them to freeze produced like 450" totals.

Yea, many of the cold shots came more from the north.

Interesting.

Thanks, guys....not terrible, but not great.

• 4 weeks later...

Really great write-up, Ray.  And tremendous job on your predictions!

I really enjoyed looking at the snowfall table.  At age 50, not sure I'll live long enough to see Beantown break that record (but I hope to!).

Also, the significant difference in totals between Hartford and Tolland really jumped out at me considering they're not that far apart (although Tolland obviously has higher elevation).   Anyway, great job once again.  You put a ton of work and passion into that project.

P.S. I think you might have meant 2015-2016 for your sneak preview - unless next winter looks so ugly you are skipping over it?, Lol.

Archived