joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It sure was nice to see some sun yesterday and stars for a while last night.  Feels like it's been weeks and weeks.  I hear last Saturday was pretty sunny around here but I was out of town and missed it.

Gray again this morning though.

Got down to 30 this morning--just enough to firm up the snow and ice around here.

8" of very solid stuff otg and the driveway is a veritable ice-field.

Only patchy stuff here. Areas that receive a decent amount of sun are bare, shaded areas have full cover of boiler plate. Looking forward to a nice sunny day in the 40s here ... gonna check out a couple of the more out-of-the-way lighthouses on the mid-coast in MainePhotog's 'hood :)

Eric, living the dream. Nice man, love your pics.

Eric, living the dream. Nice man, love your pics.

Thanks, Ginx :) Not sure it's the dream, but far from a nightmare. Great weather to take the kiddos adventuring today. Temps tickled 50F under azure skies and no wind. We went over to Arrowsic Island, just south of Bath, and had some fun with two lighthouses on the east shore of the Kennebec River. Doubling Point Light and Squirrel Point Light were both constructed in 1898 to assist ships downriver after being built at the then-fledgling Bath Iron Works. Beautiful day :)

20141227_142538_20141227201140408_zpsues

IMG_65577204528679_20141227201123235_zps

Thanks, Ginx :) Not sure it's the dream, but far from a nightmare. Great weather to take the kiddos adventuring today. Temps tickled 50F under azure skies and no wind. We went over to Arrowsic Island, just south of Bath, and had some fun with two lighthouses on the east shore of the Kennebec River. Doubling Point Light and Squirrel Point Light were both constructed in 1898 to assist ships downriver after being built at the then-fledgling Bath Iron Works. Beautiful day :)

20141227_142538_20141227201140408_zpsues

IMG_65577204528679_20141227201123235_zps

nice and dreams are not always full of riches but rather full of rich adventures

Raining down there too? Haha. Some light snow above 3000ft up here but that's it.

Yup. Snowpack took a hit last night too judging by what I just saw outside the house.

We're you guys able to make snow down low yesterday? The snowmaking here was limited to above 3000'. We don't have the fan guns you guys have. Curious as to whether that made a difference with the marginal temps.

Yup. Snowpack took a hit last night too judging by what I just saw outside the house.

We're you guys able to make snow down low yesterday? The snowmaking here was limited to above 3000'. We don't have the fan guns you guys have. Curious as to whether that made a difference with the marginal temps.

No, we stopped snowmaking yesterday in the morning as it was just too wet.  In November that would've worked for making base snow, but during the holiday, it has to be skier friendly snow, which pretty much need 24F or lower wet bulb.

Definitely took a hit in town with snow last night, I'm down to about 2-3"...just enough to cover the grass.  Though there are a lot of bare spots showing up, and like fields are going bare.

Orographic lift is not helping right now...it is frozen/snowing up above 3,000ft but its raining pretty hard on the lower mountain as these west winds push moisture into the Spine.

Dec_28_zpseco3rwgp.gif

I think today may have been the ugliest day in terms of snowpack damage around here but i still have a solid 6-7" and some left on my driveway and deck. It could have been worse I guess. I am looking forward to some colder weather though and a little refresher snow would be nice.

I am glad that the NNE thread just gets quiet when the weather gets slow. Those SNE centric threads are starting to get ugly, I don't care what anyone says about knowing each other away from the board or whatever. The tone they are taking on is a bit tense to say the least.

I think today may have been the ugliest day in terms of snowpack damage around here but i still have a solid 6-7" and some left on my driveway and deck. It could have been worse I guess. I am looking forward to some colder weather though and a little refresher snow would be nice.

I am glad that the NNE thread just gets quiet when the weather gets slow. Those SNE centric threads are starting to get ugly, I don't care what anyone says about knowing each other away from the board or whatever. The tone they are taking on is a bit tense to say the least.

I find it kind of amusing and entertaining.

Temperatures have finally cooled down here in the valley, and we picked up our first measurable snow in five days.  That's somewhat notable for this time of year, but a couple more notable stats are:

1)  As of today, seasonal snowfall just fell behind average pace for the first time since back in early-mid November.

2)  Barring a dramatic change in the forecast for these last few days of the month, this December will come in with even less snow than last December… and that was already a very poor December for snow.  That's a rather surprising result after picking up roughly 20 inches of snow in the first third of this month.

Precipitation seems to be over to snow just about everywhere in the area now though, so hopefully the seasonal accumulations get underway again:

28DEC14A.gif

Archived