Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major Hurricane Gonzalo

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its pretty damn neat that the cams held up so we were able to get the before during and after eyewall passage . Also cool to see the wind reports pretty much match up to what the storm intensity is. Most of the time it seems very few wind reports showbthe really strong winds when these storms make landfall on us soil. I guess being unsheltered in the middle of the atlantic prob contributes to the impressive wind speeds.

Its pretty damn neat that the cams held up so we were able to get the before during and after eyewall passage . Also cool to see the wind reports pretty much match up to what the storm intensity is. Most of the time it seems very few wind reports showbthe really strong winds when these storms make landfall on us soil. I guess being unsheltered in the middle of the atlantic prob contributes to the impressive wind speeds.

Yeah, that 113 mph gust at BDA was really impressive and judging by the higher gust later reported at Commissioners Pt., I wonder if they come in with a higher figure.

Gonzalo showing its true force as the nhc lowers its max wind speed and category. It looked like for a little while at least that the storm may be front loaded, but were seeing the backside really deliver. Could the drier air on the south west side actually be helping the winds?

Maybe drier air is helping steepen lapse rates and helping bringing down the elevated winds easier? or maybe he's just strengthening a bit. Didn't think the backside would produce as good as the front end /NE eyewall. Would love to hear the answer. 

Maybe drier air is helping steepen lapse rates and helping bringing down the elevated winds easier? or maybe he's just strengthening a bit. Didn't think the backside would produce as good as the front end /NE eyewall. Would love to hear the answer. 

My opinion is that most of the instruments are all on the W side of island and we're in turbulent flow around the 250ft eastern ridge. Now that it's from the NW, it's more laminar off the ocean. My evidence is Topography and that WxBug station on the eastern ridge which had a 121mph gust.

Probably right. Rain cooled air would also steepen the pressure gradient on the back side of the storm. Josh reported this in Odile, Pressure rebounded faster than it dropped.

There's no doubt that "Gonzalo" is hammering the Island of Bermuda with VERY impressive force (as noted by the reports from BDA and the cam footage).  That said, it's important to remember that the observations coming out of Commissioner's Point and St. David's are at very elevated locations and not representative of the standard winds at 10 meters.  

Can't express how disappointed I am that I couldn't get my passport in time to be there, myself, as I had planned four days ago! :(

Archived