Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
WxChallenge 2014-2015

Jurg

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully KABI sneak in 72 before it stop rising at some point. That temperature will do the job for me.

We lose the low clouds but gain some mid and high level clouds lol

Go figures, lol.

EDIT: And that's done. Hopefully that 72 won it for OHweather too.

We have really great forecasters on this forum! Nice work.

I'll gladly take -4.45 after a slow start. On to the UP (after the break)!

Yeah, I definently learned a lot from you guys! I was not that great my first semester (1.25+ behind national consensus), but I figured it out after I joined this forum shortly after my breakout performace in Atlanta. It's pretty sweet I won 2 first place trophies for Cat. 4 in the past several months, but I plan on improving and winning some more :) Next year, it'll get much tougher to win something so I got lot of studying/learning to do next 6 cities.

We have really great forecasters on this forum! Nice work.

I'll gladly take -4.45 after a slow start. On to the UP (after the break)!

Yeah we do. This forum has been great for anyone who really likes wxchallenge. Lots of great insight on here from many. Enjoy Thanksgiving y'all. It's on to the snow belt after this  :snowing:

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW an email I just received: 

Hi Everyone,

I just received this email from the WxChallenge Manager.  The advice is 
good.  NWS ASOS rain gauges are heated to melt the snow, but if the snow 
is light, the snow ends up evaporated, rather than measured.  Light snow 
is badly under measured.

************** From WxChallenge Manager
Local Managers,

Please communicate with your forecasters that WxChallenge will continue 
to verify liquid equivalent for KANJ for winter weather. Also, this may 
be a good time to point out the limitations current gauges regarding 
light snowfall and the potential for under catch.  We will do our best 
on our end to make sure the verification totals are consistent with the 
METAR and CLIMO values, however, light snowfall and frozen precipitation 
in general are a challenge.

Some of you might find these new WxChallenge tools I've put together useful. These HRRR grids are 3x3 degrees centered over the WxChallenge location. Note that the sounding data may not update as often as the 2D variables, so check the time of the output forecast.

KANJ Centered Grid for HRRR 2 Dimensional Variables

KANJ HRRR Forecast Soundings

Let me know what you think!

FWIW an email I just received: 

Some of you might find these new WxChallenge tools I've put together useful. These HRRR grids are 3x3 degrees centered over the WxChallenge location. Note that the sounding data may not update as often at the 2 dimensional variables, so check the time of the output forecast.

KANJ Centered Grid for HRRR 2 Dimensional Variables

KANJ HRRR Forecast Soundings

Let me know what you think!

Awesome stuff, y'all. Phil, I've noticed your HRRR project on Twitter and was wondering what you're up to! These pages are excellent!

27/8/18/0.06

Basically used USL/GFS MOS combo to start off the city temperature-wise because I didn't feel confident forecasting away from consensus. Winds look pretty KABI-like so I boosted up USL's max winds a little bit. I'm also counting on ASOS to struggle on picking up very fine snowflakes for 0.06.

28/6/18/0.05"

The HRRR suggests they will clear out in the next couple of hours as the winds shift... further upstream in the UP of Michigan they are already in the single digits so we'll see... gonna be a close call before the WAA kicks in. 

Your HRRR sounding page looked like it showed low level clouds hanging around all night. Unless I read the sounding wrong.

The HRRR soundings do show some temporary clearing by 06z, but it does cloud up again. Note that -15 C in this profile is around +5 F

hrrr_skewt_KANJ_11.png

Will be interesting to see how the soundings perform tonight as I do not know it's biases yet since this is the first day you've shown us what you have been working on.

Will be interesting to see how the soundings perform tonight as I do not know it's biases yet since this is the first day you've shown us what you have been working on.

Oh I'm in the dark as well since I only switched the grid over to KANJ this week and I'm not sure how well its been performing in comparison to actual observations. In the future I'll be putting together a verification page so you can see how well the hourly HRRR is performing in comparison to observations and other model guidance. Probably won't be able to get to that until winter break though.

Awesome stuff Phil, am looking forward to using those resources!

For my forecast, 29/9/20/0.06"

There will be a few hours of clearing between now and 6z or so as the winds shift, and I just can't trust temperatures to stay above 10 with a foot or more of snow on the ground and dew points hanging around in the upper single digits. If the clouds don't clear in that window before the winds align enough to get clouds off of Lakes Michigan/Huron, then they might stay above 10, but I wasn't confident enough in that so went with a middle of the road value. With water temps on the aforementioned lakes in the lower 40's and good southerly winds, they should start rising at some point after 6z. Even though it will be mainly cloudy tomorrow I've seemed to find in Cleveland that models will sometimes underdo heat-flux from the warmer lakes. With some hi-res models showing 28 or 29 for a high tomorrow afternoon or evening I went with that number. With clouds and a deep snow pack I don't think they can get much warmer though. Perhaps I'm too aggressive with the winds, but the NAM looked pretty well mixed up to just under 900mb where there will be 30-35 knot winds, so I don't think 20 knots is impossible. For precip the snow tomorrow evening should be wetter than what they saw today, and they did measure some precip today, so I'm hoping that a few hours of light to possibly moderate snow get them at least 0.05"...we'll see.

Archived