joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WxChallenge 2014-2015

Jurg

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep in mind that there will be some air mass modification by sensible heat flux of the land (if there is significant solar radiation tomorrow) so parcels will modify some. However, the low to mid-level clouds that are developing over KABI right now might stay entrenched for a while. The higher resolution guidance is unsure if they clear tomorrow afternoon. FWIW I was on the cold side tomorrow too.

Well mixed + low to mid level clouds tonight suggest that the MOS guidance is once again too cold. The ECMWF guidence is particularly warm tonight (26F) and the HRRR was splitting the difference (22F)... In respect of the HRRR and ECMWF which performed best last night, I went in the low to mid 20's.

33/23/18/0

Yeah, I knew 20s were unrealistic, but I figured given the HYSPLIT result, and the fact that almost all guidance overdid highs today for both Abilene and Pratt/Guymon, I decided to lean low.  Though only 20 of us went 32, and only 5 went lower.   :bag:

The reason I went warm was because the models showed a layer of high RH air trapped beneath the inversion tonight, so I figured a deck of stratus would develop and keep them warmer. We'll see if they loose anymore, but they're overcast now and up to 28. With WAA developing tomorrow I am hoping the clouds clear by 18z. We'll see.

I looked at their 900mb temps. from Tuesday and it looked like tomorrow's would be a bout 1C cooler which is why I went 43F tomorrow (they hit 45F Tuesday afternoon). However, that was a CAA regime so I'm probably fooked. As for tonight, I assume only partial cloudiness and light winds would allow for them to radiate before any SE breeze. I'm just poor at forecasting I guess lol.

Archived