• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WxChallenge 2014-2015

Jurg

Climo has been way off with snow depth this week. Use NOHRSC products for a better guess of the snow depth or lack thereof. 

Edit: 20z maps show little to no snow on the ground. I highly doubt the ground is covered. Probably only snow piles left. 

I'm not saying they ACTUALLY have snow on the ground, but that's the official number out of the NWS. So if the NWS determines whether or not to do a liquid equivalent measurement based on whether they have snow on the ground or not, that's the number I'd assume they'd be looking at.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

38/27/28/1.35"

25+ knots should be doable. Went aggressive for precip because I figured I would need to if I wanted a chance to get above consensus. Looking at the NAM in BUFKIT, there looks to be about a 10 hour window (~8z-18z) where moderate to heavy snow is a realistic possibility for a large portion of that window. They'll be just north of nose of very strong 500mb vorticity most of the day and near/just north of the 700mb low track, so they should be close to the axis of heaviest snow. Figured a 10 hour window of .1"+/hr precip rates and looked at some model QPFs and came up with that. The snow shouldn't all blow out of the bucket but some may, so we'll see.

38/27/27/1.07

The upper level dynamics for this storm are going to be pretty impressive, but the best of the storm will be in a good 6-8 hour window in the early to late morning period. There will be decent banding structures within the comma head that could lead to quick down bursts of precipitation in the form of wet snow. The truly cold air behind the system doesn't make it's way to the surface until after the storm passes and the strong gradient will keep the temperatures from falling rapidly immediately after the system. The winds aloft around 925 mb according to Nam bukfit are around 35-40 kts during the height of the event. Any substantial banding can bring some of those winds down to the surface and there would be you higher wind potential. The only fly in the ointment I see is the best banding structure to be just south of the forecast area, in which case, the totals more in the 0.70-0.90 range would be more formidable. This will be impressive to watch unfold regardless.

38/27/28/1.35"

25+ knots should be doable. Went aggressive for precip because I figured I would need to if I wanted a chance to get above consensus. Looking at the NAM in BUFKIT, there looks to be about a 10 hour window (~8z-18z) where moderate to heavy snow is a realistic possibility for a large portion of that window. They'll be just north of nose of very strong 500mb vorticity most of the day and near/just north of the 700mb low track, so they should be close to the axis of heaviest snow. Figured a 10 hour window of .1"+/hr precip rates and looked at some model QPFs and came up with that. The snow shouldn't all blow out of the bucket but some may, so we'll see.

Talk about being on the same page OHweather haha

Talk about being on the same page OHweather haha

And me lmao. Precip in my opinion is the only thing I'm not confident in. Everything else I like. Even my 29F low. Going with consistency as that was how low they got in their first Nor'easter that dumped a lot of snow on them. I guess this time they could be 1F colder but we'll see. Strong winds and low clouds have plagued this city both weeks and we have seen the low refuse to drop.

And me lmao. Precip in my opinion is the only thing I'm not confident in. Everything else I like. Even my 29F low. Going with consistency as that was how low they got in their first Nor'easter that dumped a lot of snow on them. I guess this time they could be 1F colder but we'll see. Strong winds and low clouds have plagued this city both weeks and we have seen the low refuse to drop.

This is very true and yeah you definitely were on the same page haha. I didn't want to go as high on precip just because the gamble at this point for me isn't worth it with a trophy at stake. I wanted to give myself some leeway just in case the precip doesn't fully pan out. As far as the low goes, I put 27 just because if the storm exits a little quicker, they might fall that extra degree or two. The NAM bufkit was around 28-29 for 6z and 27 at 7z, so I took the plunge. If I can hit it, that would be huge. It's pretty bunched at the top. Should be a crazy finish to this city.

As for the higher wind numbers (26kts+), I definitely see the opportunity. The only thing that kept me from going high was that a couple previous "analogs" (late Nov 2008 and 2009) had similar MOS winds, and argued for 21-24kts tomorrow. We'll see, though!

I actually went back and looked at the RAP profile from 16z Sunday to see what winds were like during that storm and I found that they had like 30 kts at 970 mb. That's about what they ended up mixing down fully (35G45 in mph). This time I saw only around 20 kts at that level. I suppose though like Millville was saying, if they get into the core of the CCB then all bets are off and they can get a 26-28 kt sustained wind.

38/28/25/0.85

I did this forecast early before 22z USL came in lower with precip. I saw RAP and HRRR being pretty low so I went way under 1"+ most models had at that time.

Yeah I like less than 1" QPF tomorrow. I think a perfect forecast from me might actual give me a chance tomorrow, so I'd like to believe I have a chance lol

Yeah I like less than 1" QPF tomorrow. I think a perfect forecast from me might actual give me a chance tomorrow, so I'd like to believe I have a chance lol

I'm trying to pull off a miracle by getting above consensus after having score of ~6.20 after Day 6. I'm all the way up to 1.90 and I should crack consensus with a good forecast tomorrow... hopefully.

Maybe few more hours of snow judging by radar so I think under 1" is very likely for today.

I think we have a few more hours of good steady precipitation with one of the best banding features about to move into the area, so if they are going to pick up a good deal of precipitation, it would be this upcoming time frame. They are near 0.50 now so an hour or two in the heavier bands could pop them up near 0.8-0.9 by noon and just some smaller accumulation after that till it completely stops. Does look like they'll receive just under an inch, but we'll see.

I think we have a few more hours of good steady precipitation with one of the best banding features about to move into the area, so if they are going to pick up a good deal of precipitation, it would be this upcoming time frame. They are near 0.50 now so an hour or two in the heavier bands could pop them up near 0.8-0.9 by noon and just some smaller accumulation after that till it completely stops. Does look like they'll receive just under an inch, but we'll see.

Agree with all of your points. 

Well, all my points seem to be falling apart at the seams haha. Oh well. I need the winds and low to cooperate now

Haha, it happens :) I think we'll be around 0.80 by the time it's over which is good for me at least. I'm with you on winds because we both went pretty high at 27-28 kts.

Archived