• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WxChallenge 2014-2015

Jurg

I don't see how you can declare a city your drop city after Day 3. I guess if you did really well in Wlmington and Butte then you can but with the potential for a major precip. producer at the end of next week I wouldn't write it off just yet.

I'm going to be a few points worse than consensus after day 3, and my "worst" standardized score so far is -5.70 in Wilmington, so for that reason I just can't see this as not my drop city out of the first three. That's not to say I'm going to stop forecasting, I'd still like to get above consensus for the city eventually, so if I do worse in another city I don't have multiple positive score cities to hurt my overall score.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to be a few points worse than consensus after day 3, and my "worst" standardized score so far is -5.70 in Wilmington, so for that reason I just can't see this as not my drop city out of the first three. That's not to say I'm going to stop forecasting, I'd still like to get above consensus for the city eventually, so if I do worse in another city I don't have multiple positive score cities to hurt my overall score.

Okay that's different. I don't know WxBlue's scores but assuming they weren't quite as good as yours I think it's still possible that this won't be his drop city. He's young I see from his sig. I don't want him to get discouraged this early in a city :lol:. This is my fifth year and I've seen things swing dramatically from week 1 to week 2 many times.

Okay that's different. I don't know WxBlue's scores but assuming they weren't quite as good as yours I think it's still possible that this won't be his drop city. He's young I see from his sig. I don't want him to get discouraged this early in a city :lol:. This is my fifth year and I've seen things swing dramatically from week 1 to week 2 many times.

Trust me, I'm not giving up :) I was being realistic more so than negative as I'm on same boat as OHweather regarding drop city. My scores (I'm noel15) were pretty good for KILM (-3.05) and KBTM (-1.56) so there's high potential for this being my drop city. Right now, I'm several points behind consensus (around 4.00) but I could easily get ahead of it if 30-32 degrees and 14-15 knots work out tonight, which I'm optimistic about after KCAR dropped to 37 last night. Right now, I'm just working my way up to consensus which is definitely possible or even likely for me after seeing some of my peers at UNCA working their way up in Butte. 

If I sounded negative in recent posts, I apologize about that. I'm usually a upbeat guy  ^_^

Really hoping there's at least a 13-15kt wind left in Caribou today. Assuming we drop to 32-34, a 14kt wind would put me at #1 for Category 4

Based on BUFKIT yesterday it looked like the strong winds around 950 mb would subside somewhat after 18z. I think they probably snuck a 13 kt wind in there somewhere between 15 and 18z.

43/31/8/0  

I'm with Max. These clouds are making this low forecast incredibly difficult. I went a little higher than National with my low. After checking all the higher Res models and observing the satellite, I can see Caribou hanging onto these low clouds a little longer than previously anticipated. There is a short window of opportunity per the HRRR and 4km NAM at mostly clear skies around 6z-9z tonight and that's where the temperatures fell the hardest as the winds were basically non existent. The wind was a bit tough since the High will be situated right to there north, so they should remain calm for most of the day until that s/w approaches from the west and starts ramping up the gradient late in the forecast time for tomorrow. The mid-levels should see an increase in cloud cover by late morning and should keep the temperature from rising quickly for most of the period. I hope my gamble pays off since I'm sitting at 17th at the moment and if they get down to 34-35, I'll be top 3. This is a rough city to forecast for thanks in part to these clouds

46/33/6/0

Banking on clouds holding through the night. It they get a few hours of solar heating they could hit the upper 40's but it'll be a battle between tonight's clouds clearing and higher level clouds moving in later so I didn't go as warm as I think it could get.

Wait, whatta bout the convective clouds? I saw a Tc of like 6C on the NAM which is why I went 43F. 

Back from the field...the forecasts that I put in on Monday for the last 3 days didn't go so well...I'm ranked worse than 1000th and I have guidance tomorrow. LOL. Not a good city to try and make an extended forecast. Might also have to go back out next week so I probably cut my losses and not waste any time forecasting this crazy city.

Good point, I'm probably roasted. I can't believe I went 28F on the low too. Good job with the low man.

I'm feeling better about the warmer low (although a couple hours of clearing right before sunrise would ruin that) but for my warm high the low clouds currently in place would need to clear, so I'm not extremely confident in that yet.

Yeah I hadn't seen that obs yet (even though it was available at the time). Looked like they were stuck at 41F. Anyway, my score WRT national consensus doesn't change unless the high gets above 44F, which I don't think is particularly likely.

Gotcha. There was another 43F at 19z so its possible we get a 44-45F out of it. Hopefully winds stay at 5kts or less tonight

Archived