Newest Member
    joxey
WxChallenge 2014-2015

Jurg

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

47/34/16/0.13

I went a little low on the precip since I feel as though the precipitation totals that come from KCAR are pretty minute compared to the radar depictions. I'm not so sure about my high. I thought about going higher but if they hang onto low clouds all day, it'll be a slower climb.

Man Max, you went balls to the wall there on the high. Basically the opposite of my thinking haha

Wow, I'm like the only one that went low on the high. I'm probably doomed  :lol:

Not necessarily. We saw what happened in a similar scenario last week. The only difference I see is they may not have the precip and clouds may not be as thick tomorrow (hence my 50)... but anything from 47 to 52 wouldn't surprise me. 53+ I'd be afraid of the fact that lapse rates are pretty steep between 850 and 950 tomorrow afternoon, and so even if they mix up much higher than forecast, that really only adds a few degrees to the high... maybe. I've been wrong before!

Not necessarily. We saw what happened in a similar scenario last week. The only difference I see is they may not have the precip and clouds may not be as thick tomorrow (hence my 50)... but anything from 47 to 52 wouldn't surprise me. 53+ I'd be afraid of the fact that lapse rates are pretty steep between 850 and 950 tomorrow afternoon, and so even if they mix up much higher than forecast, that really only adds a few degrees to the high... maybe. I've been wrong before!

Yeah. I can see how it gets higher, but this city has been incredibly annoying to forecast for in general. Just when you think they'll do one thing, it does just the opposite. I'm trying to fight for a trophy, so I can't be too bold on my forecast and go way off the beaten path. I remained fairly conservative and am hoping for the best. The best scenario for me would be to limit the sunshine. When the sun peeks out there, they usually go around to above guidance. When the low cloud deck holds on longer than normal, which it has done numerous times so far, they sit at or 2 degrees below guidance. I checked hypothetical tomorrow and as long as the precip isn't over a 0.25, I'll end up in first, but man does it get bunched up toward the top. Good luck on tomorrow Mallow and everyone

That was a huge obs. I feel like that needed to be at least 50F for the 51F or greater crowd. Now I'm thinking probably no higher than 50F for the high with the relatively strong CAA aloft.

Strong CAA at 850 doesn't halt warming under clear skies and good mixing. They are still going to be 5C at 925 and will mix to probably above 900 with strengthening winds and sunny conditions. Next ob will be the telling one. 

Archived