Newest Member
    joxey
WxChallenge 2014-2015

Jurg

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

48/34/12/0.06

I'm taking a gamble on the precip here. I'm not that confident that it'll happen by the end of the forecast period, but it'll be close. Not too sure on the winds, and went with a combo of USL (even if it was 12 kts), Euro and 4km NAM winds and averaged them out. I'm either going to do real well or real bad. 

I considered going higher than 33F on the low. Dew points to the north and west of Caribou are generally in the mid to upper 30s, so unless they condense a lot of vapor out of the air, I'm not sure how they get their dew points down to 29-31 as suggested by the models.

Same here. I thought about 34, but I didn't want to risk getting caught by sharp, sudden drop to low-30s (esp. with dewpoint at 32 at the time) so I was conservative with the low and see what this city got for Day 1.

I thought about going 0.04 but I wasnt ballsy enough so I just went zero. Good diffluence in the upper levels but WAA is only good from below 850mb. PWATs are good. Isethropic lift is above where the parcel rises to and that is why I decided to go zero.

Damn it!  Don't you hate it when a thought pops in your head with a forecast (like going near 40 for the low) and then you talk yourself out of it?

Yep.

To be fair, though, I thought it was gonna be clear for much of the night. Had I been smart enough to realize there were going to be low clouds all night, I definitely would have gone higher. You live and learn, I guess.

Wow.

If the high is 48F today (and the wind is 13kts+ and with 0 precip), I'm at +2.48 after day 1 for the city.

If the high is 50F today (and the wind is 13kts+ and with 0 precip), I'm at -12.18.

How can a 2F difference on the high make such a ridiculously huge difference with the scores? That's insane.

Of course, right now it seems like the 50F is unlikely. Hopefully next hour jumps to 49F :P

Radar doesn't look that impressive and I think we can get into the mid 30s tonight before clouds roll in for the rest of the night. 

I'd need it to get below consensus (34F) for it to help me, scorewise. And that's certainly not going to happen. Maybe a 39F or 38F, bu the clouds are already moving in and we're still at 42F. And the advection isn't going to help.

Archived