Newest Member
    joxey
WxChallenge 2014-2015

Jurg

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

53/42/12/0.30

Really banking on cloud cover to kept the temps down, despite WAA. Thought about going 41, but I don't think it'll be that low at either 6z, but 42 is possible. Rain? Slightly higher than NWS/USL, even though radar doesn't look impressive. Wind? I didn't want to get caught low like today so...

54/43/15/0.26"

Was hoping for a bit more spread but oh well, this is Maine and not Montana I guess.

You want spread, I'll give you spread. 59/41/16/0.45

My Reasoning:

High 59 - I did HYSPLIT for multiple time frames tomorrow at 150, 300, and 400m agl and I was getting consistent low 60s at the locations it went back to. And I saw no wedging of cold air tomorrow as well as the warm front getting through Caribou so I felt the chances were greater than 50%.

Low 41 - Just went around overall guidance as it wasn't going to vary that much between 40 and 43 tonight or tomorrow night before 6z, but I did see potential for lower as skies clear possibly for a few hours before 6z tomorrow night. 

Wind 16 - Felt like around 6z the LLJ will get going enough to see stronger winds than today, however we don't know how strong those southerlies will be tonight as they have yet to start ramping up. So a good possibility of being on the high side. 

Precip .45" - I like being in the left exit region of a jet streak. Good WAA, tight baroclinic zone relatively to the area in Maine, possible vortmax with some decent PVA and more importantly the possibility of the precip training over the area for a good 6 hours during the day before PWATs start to drop below 1" after 21z.

You want spread, I'll give you spread. 59/41/16/0.45

My Reasoning:

High 59 - I did HYSPLIT for multiple time frames tomorrow at 150, 300, and 400m agl and I was getting consistent low 60s at the locations it went back to. And I saw no wedging of cold air tomorrow as well as the warm front getting through Caribou so I felt the chances were greater than 50%.

Low 41 - Just went around overall guidance as it wasn't going to vary that much between 40 and 43 tonight or tomorrow night before 6z, but I did see potential for lower as skies clear possibly for a few hours before 6z tomorrow night. 

Wind 16 - Felt like around 6z the LLJ will get going enough to see stronger winds than today, however we don't know how strong those southerlies will be tonight as they have yet to start ramping up. So a good possibility of being on the high side. 

Precip .45" - I like being in the left exit region of a jet streak. Good WAA, tight baroclinic zone relatively to the area in Maine, possible vortmax with some decent PVA and more importantly the possibility of the precip training over the area for a good 6 hours during the day before PWATs start to drop below 1" after 21z.

The high is interesting. I did a 2m HYSPLIT for 20z and it gave me a parcel that was just off the extreme southeastern coast of Maine at 20z today where it stayed in the low 50's today. I also did 150m and 250m and got parcels from a similar area, but I didn't mix them down because I don't they'll mix much at all tomorrow. Perhaps I erred there but we'll see.

I can't disagree with your reasoning for the low (we're only 2 apart). I debated whether to go cooler or not due to the potential to clear tomorrow evening, but it looked like a short window just before 6z for clearing and the winds might not be calm by that point, so I decided not to. But it could go either way.

Obviously I agree on your wind thoughts, I'm only 1 low than you.

I debated going higher on precip for the reasons you mentioned, but was a little apprehensive due to the hi-res models trying to show the best band of precip staying just south of CAR.

So, there are some interesting things that can happen tomorrow...mainly with the low and rain IMO.

We're definitely going to be getting measurable precip here tonight. Day 1 is an utter disaster for me...

I don't think that is a safe bet just yet. Radar looking less impressive again and 3z metar says zero so there is still hope yet.

I don't think that is a safe bet just yet. Radar looking less impressive again and 3z metar says zero so there is still hope yet.

I thought for sure some of those showers were going to give them a couple hundredths. Some decent reflectivities, even if the showers were small....

We're definitely going to be getting measurable precip here tonight. Day 1 is an utter disaster for me...

As a person with 4.24 to start of the city, I understand your pain. However, I'm also 1.2 error points behind consensus and I'm sure your error points behind consensus isn't too bad either. Maybe no trophy for us from this city right off from start, but we got plenty of time to make up for Day 1 and get back into this :) 

As a person with 4.24 to start of the city, I understand your pain. However, I'm also 1.2 error points behind consensus and I'm sure your error points behind consensus isn't too bad either. Maybe no trophy for us from this city right off from start, but we got plenty of time to make up for Day 1 and get back into this :)

Yeah, I'm looking at the scores instead of the error points... I need to take a step back, like you suggest. :P

Looks like Caribou might nickel and dime there way to 0.1-0.2,  but the main extent does look to stay just off to their south. If that stays the course, the people who went on the low precip camp will benefit a lot. Still would like the temperature to bump a few degrees, but that fog in the area is going to be a thorn in a lot of forecasts.

Archived