joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WxChallenge 2014-2015

Jurg

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know if KCAR will do snow core samples like Grand Rapids? I am pretty sure they didn't for the 11/1-11/2 storm.

I think the snow cores are only done if there is already snow on the ground to begin with. Don't know if they got any left so if its bare ground I'd think that it isn't going to happen.

Considered going higher on the low (like 38F). Kinda wishing I did right now. Those low clouds look like they mean business.

EDIT: Though then I'd have to be concerned about a late 06z low, as it'll probably be ~35-37F by then. NOW I'm remembering why I stuck with 35F. :P

Yeah I was going to go 36F if there wasn't going to be a possibility of a 06z low tomorrow.

This city has been rough on the kids from Umass Lowell.   I'm the only forecaster from th school above the National Consensus and there are only two of us above the local consensus.  Talk about getting your butt kicked. :cry:

We have the same going on for Millersville University as well. Three above national and none above local. I'm the only one at our school above 200 right now. This has been a rough city to forecast for.

Yeah. I'm the only one from UML that is above 340.  I think that this city has been awesome

Oh, I'm enjoying this city a lot. I'm ranked 7th right now overall for the city, but it's been a lot tougher than I was expecting. Tomorrow is going to be a huge moving day with this developing coastal. The spread tomorrow for basically everything should be amusing to see. Of course, it's the final day when I'm trying to fight for a trophy haha. Good luck 

Oh, I'm enjoying this city a lot. I'm ranked 7th right now overall for the city, but it's been a lot tougher than I was expecting. Tomorrow is going to be a huge moving day with this developing coastal. The spread tomorrow for basically everything should be amusing to see. Of course, it's the final day when I'm trying to fight for a trophy haha. Good luck 

Yeah.  I've made my move up into the top 40.   Tomorrow's forecast will be entertaining.

Although guidance is remarkably consistent on the qpf for tomorrow.

Yeah.  I've made my move up into the top 40.   Tomorrow's forecast will be entertaining.

Although guidance is remarkably consistent on the qpf for tomorrow.

Only thing that worries me is that the Euro is like 1" qpf while the american models are over 1.5". Pretty big difference if you ask me. Plus it being windy tomorrow. How much of that will actually tip the bucket. Only good thing will be possibly it will be the heavy wet variety snow and not super dry high ratio snows. 

Only thing that worries me is that the Euro is like 1" qpf while the american models are over 1.5". Pretty big difference if you ask me. Plus it being windy tomorrow. How much of that will actually tip the bucket. Only good thing will be possibly it will be the heavy wet variety snow and not super dry high ratio snows. 

I was wondering this same question. Once the storm gets to Caribou's latitude, it seems the storm pulls the best cold air in and turns the situation to a drier type of snow, with the highest ratios the back end of the storm. It's going to be interesting to see how much precipitation will fall in the early morning until 15z. That will be mostly all wet, so they can accumulate a lot of precipitation in that time frame. I'm curious to see how persistent the banding nature will be for the areas in Northern Maine. Normally I don't pay as much of attention as I should for coastals once it gets up into the Maritimes. I know they tend to have lingering precip on the wrap around. This is going to be an interesting spread among everyone nationally for precip, winds and even the low. I think we can all agree it will be an early morning Friday high. Second decent snowfall of the season incoming for the region last 5-6 days.

Or will they do a melted liquid equivalent like they did in Grand Rapids and throw us all for a loop?

Or will they do a melted liquid equivalent like they did in Grand Rapids and throw us all for a loop?

But did the Grand Rapids NWS only do that while they had a snow pack b/c I don't remember them doing it when they had bare ground and then the snow came in. Only when they had snow already on the ground is when they began doing it. All of this is confusing. Wish wxchallenge would just ask them to do it regardless. BTW, looks like precip will get in there before 6z and I desperately need it to get above nat con after day 8 with a good forecast for sure.

But did the Grand Rapids NWS only do that while they had a snow pack b/c I don't remember them doing it when they had bare ground and then the snow came in. Only when they had snow already on the ground is when they began doing it. All of this is confusing. Wish wxchallenge would just ask them to do it regardless. BTW, looks like precip will get in there before 6z and I desperately need it to get above nat con after day 8 with a good forecast for sure.

As of last night's climo, Caribou still had 5" of snow on the ground, though...

As of last night's climo, Caribou still had 5" of snow on the ground, though...

Climo has been way off with snow depth this week. Use NOHRSC products for a better guess of the snow depth or lack thereof. 

Edit: 20z maps show little to no snow on the ground. I highly doubt the ground is covered. Probably only snow piles left. 

Archived