joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WxChallenge 2014-2015

Jurg

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's moving fast, but I still like the high camp better. The 0552z obs is not 2 hours away and we still have over 2 counties for the front to even get there.

But is moving at the pace of > 1 county per hour... more like 1.2 to 1.3 counties per hour. Its probably going to arrive right at 06z... 

But is moving at the pace of > 1 county per hour... more like 1.2 to 1.3 counties per hour. Its probably going to arrive right at 06z... 

But even so, that's not good enough for me. I need 0540z :P

The first 10 minutes after the front passes, judging from a station to the north, we'll see a good 12F drop. After that the drop is slower. But since the 06z obs is actually taken at 0552z, even if the front gets there BEFORE 0600z, that could still be a win for the high camp.

EDIT: Based on the past hour, I'd estimate an arrival at.... you guessed it... 0550-ish. >_<

There's actually a temperature spike at many locations about 5 minutes AFTER the peak radar echoes go overhead. Then it takes another 10 minutes to drop 10 degrees or so. Thinking 65F is probably going to be the verification, at about 0555z, followed by a rapid cooling. Probably won't be 50F until 0615z, which is far too late for me.

Oh well... even though my forecast was wrong and my city is all but shot already, I went in knowing it was going to be VERY close and that it would come down to 20 minutes or so either way. I'm glad I was "wrong for the right reason", if that makes sense. I thought the front would come in faster, and that it would be right there pretty much right around 06z, and that idea was right. Just a slight mistiming.

Archived