joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WxChallenge 2014-2015

Jurg

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys... more fun HRRR tools. Some of you guys know this, but in addition to the NCEP-HRRR, NCAR has their own version of the HRRR that is also running in semi-real time. Thus you can use both models for a "poor man" ensemble approach comparing the two high resolution runs. In the future I'll have some of the other high resolution guidance like the 4km-NAM, WRF NMM and ARW cores for a direct comparison, but for now this might be useful.

2 meter Temperature Comparison

Top of Atmosphere Brightness Temperature Comparison

1 km Reflectivity Comparison 

10 meter Wind Comparison 

Let me know what you think! There are very large differences in the forecast low temperature tonight between the NCAR-HRRR and NCEP-HRRR!

24/16/18/0.01

The high hasn't gone too warm, so that's where my 24 came from. I really think decent WNW winds and lake effect clouds will keep the low pretty warm, although both does lighten as we get closer to dawn. I have no clue on precip except I'm not buying 0.00 USL is spitting out hence my 0.01.

Wow I'm way colder for my low than consensus... kinda surprising given that the MOS guidance, ECMWF, and HRRR were all in the 8-12 degree range. Guess a lot of people are riding the USL and the belief that the lake effect band will continue... NCAR-HRRR and to a lesser degree the NCEP-HRRR was suggesting that the sfc winds will shift out of the northeast to allow very cold air from Canada to seep in around 12z tomorrow... we'll see

25/11/19/0.01"

WyHjGtv.png

Tpgn3mc.png

Thanks again for your work with the HRRR, Phil!

This was a hair pulling forecast. I went 24/17/21/0.06"

The lake effect isn't going away tonight. Inversions lower a bit later tonight, but there's still a deep enough boundary layer and decent low level moisture until 12z or so, and winds don't move much more from where they are now (they'll veer a bit more but not much), so I think they'll see half decent lake effect shsn continue for several hours after 6z. They shouldn't be too intense, but they'll definitely get another inch or two of fluffy snow after 6z. I have no idea how they'll measure the liquid equivalent though so I'm not extremely confident in that precip number. The HRRR veers the winds enough to shift the lake effect west of ANJ late tonight and allows them to drop, but shows temps remaining above 15F under the lake effect. Other models keep the lake effect over ANJ all night (which I expect) and generally keep things in the upper 10's. Went with the warmer models. For tomorrow the winds turn offshore and they stay cloudy, with poorer mixing than today and colder mid-level temps, so I think they'll stay below 25F. They should get some influence from Lake Huron tomorrow evening, but the southerly winds will probably keep the warmest just to the east of ANJ, and the winds won't be very strong. I hate to go with the 22z USL temps, but it's performed pretty darn well days 1 and 2 and I couldn't find much reasoning personally to really disagree with it. They should stay pretty well mixed immediately down wind of the lake tonight, so we'll see if my wind is overzealous or not.

I still don't know if there is a human observer on site and if we are taking the melted down total instead of ASOS automated precip accumulation.

It definitely seemed like they took a melted down total on Monday, but they didn't yesterday. It would be nice if they did today because they should've gotten more liquid in the 0-1z hour than 0.00" based on the radar and obs. There's a nice streamer sitting just north of ANJ and it would be nice if that can shift south at some point.

Edit: they've been measuring snow so there has to be a human on site.

It definitely seemed like they took a melted down total on Monday, but they didn't yesterday. It would be nice if they did today because they should've gotten more liquid in the 0-1z hour than 0.00" based on the radar and obs. There's a nice streamer sitting just north of ANJ and it would be nice if that can shift south at some point.

Edit: they've been measuring snow so there has to be a human on site.

I hope youre right because I have 0.15 for day 2 lmao.

I have 0.13" so I'm in the same boat. My only concern is I'm not sure when they take a melted liquid equivalent vs just going with what the ASOS measures.

I know that the melted would be 5z to 5z because it has to coincide with the climate report.

This is the only good radar site we have for ANJ to see the lake effect bands.

https://weather.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=WGJ

wunderground has the Canadian radar network too... 

http://www.wunderground.com/radar/radblast.asp?ID=WGJ

Looks like they primarily have been in between bands

hzC33P5.gif

Up to 0.08" now. The 0z NAM showed a weakening of low-level winds through 3z and a bit of an increase afterwards for a few hours, although they're only 11 gusting to 19 knots right now. Mesoscale affects from the bands may also be influencing winds, but I'm hoping to see an increase over the next couple of hours.

They'll probably end with 0.13-0.15" of liquid for day 2 even without a human measurement. I'd have to imagine a human measure would add some, but probably not more than a total of 0.20" or so as they've struggled to consistently see decent snow, so I just don't think they got too much liquid.

I hate this city.  Nailed both the high and the low yesterday but precip and wind (what is up with the wind at this place) screw me.

And then last night I forgot to forecast until like 6:58 so all I did was throw in the 22z USL numbers and those blow. 

Barring a miraculous last 5 forecasts I know what city I am dropping.

Archived