Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WxChallenge 2014-2015

Jurg

I like the forecast :P

BTW, I could certainly see it getting colder for the low tomorrow morning, but I'm sort of hedging my bets. If it stays a bit warmer, my low tomorrow could work out while my low tonight likely won't. If it gets colder, my low tonight will work out, but my low tomorrow will be too high (still on the right side of consensus in that case, though). Even so, I think 5-7 is about where I'd like to be for the low regardless of any "hedging".

I really like 24-25. On most days except today (when we had a pre-"frontal" warm spike up a degree), the high has generally been a degree or so below the USLs.

Bingo on the high :) That was my thinking as well.

I actually thought about going lower to like 5-6, but I felt pretty good about 7 so I stayed there especially since I'm still trying to get back above consensus.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just looked back at every city I ever forecasted for in this competition and this is by far the worst city I've ever forecasted for. I went from best in school to worst (I'm literally the worst of anyone in my school that has forecasted everyday). I just can't figure this city out. I can't wait to drop this one and move on. Good luck to everyone else. I can't wait to get back into this next semester. The first city is Phoenix, AZ which is ironic that that's the first city since over break a lot of people will be at the National AMS conference there including me   :)

The first city is Phoenix, AZ which is ironic that that's the first city since over break a lot of people will be at the National AMS conference there including me   :)

It seems like they plan that. I remember forecasting for Atlanta while in Atlanta. Sad I won't make it to AMS this year though! Excited for the next site. Somehow I'm doing better here than I did at Caribou.

It seems like they plan that. I remember forecasting for Atlanta while in Atlanta. Sad I won't make it to AMS this year though! Excited for the next site. Somehow I'm doing better here than I did at Caribou.

I guess to each his own when it comes to forecasting certain cities. My Achilles heel is apparently the Great Lakes region. I got hammered in Grand Rapids last year too. Surprisingly I did incredible in Caribou. Hopefully it gets better from here.

That's a shame you can't make it to AMS this year. I look forward to meeting a lot of people and hopefully some of you on here. 

I guess to each his own when it comes to forecasting certain cities. My Achilles heel is apparently the Great Lakes region. I got hammered in Grand Rapids last year too. Surprisingly I did incredible in Caribou. Hopefully it gets better from here.

That's a shame you can't make it to AMS this year. I look forward to meeting a lot of people and hopefully some of you on here. 

Atlanta was awesome last year, that's for sure. Even though I only stayed during the weekend, I had a blast at my first AMS conference :) Sadly, I won't be attending Phoenix, but I'm hopeful to go in 2016 in New Orleans or 2017 in Seattle.

And I could say the same for New England region. I can never figure out that region :D

32/7/18/0

It gave me pause when they stayed at 19F this hour, especially since the HRRR doesn't look that cold, but CYAM across the river was 10F at 23z, so there's very cold air just across the boarder, and I'm guessing that the winds will go more northerly for a time tonight and they'll advect that air in...the Euro, RAP and MET seem to agree. I'm worried I may be a little warm on the high tomorrow, but I think they'll hit 31 at least (hopefully). The NAM has 25-30 knots at the top of the BL tomorrow afternoon so I'm hoping that can mix down. I can pass consensus tomorrow if the low/wind work out half decently, so I'm definitely hoping to do that.

32/7/18/0

It gave me pause when they stayed at 19F this hour, especially since the HRRR doesn't look that cold, but CYAM across the river was 10F at 23z, so there's very cold air just across the boarder, and I'm guessing that the winds will go more northerly for a time tonight and they'll advect that air in...the Euro, RAP and MET seem to agree. I'm worried I may be a little warm on the high tomorrow, but I think they'll hit 31 at least (hopefully). The NAM has 25-30 knots at the top of the BL tomorrow afternoon so I'm hoping that can mix down. I can pass consensus tomorrow if the low/wind work out half decently, so I'm definitely hoping to do that.

My concern is that the winds might not go more northerly tonight. The models that have the northerly winds overnight had them northerly all day today, too (except maybe the Euro, but it had northerly by 00z). Plus with more friction from a shallower boundary layer, the winds would only want to tend towards a more westerly direction, I would think.

32/7/18/0

My concern is that the winds might not go more northerly tonight. The models that have the northerly winds overnight had them northerly all day today, too (except maybe the Euro, but it had northerly by 00z). Plus with more friction from a shallower boundary layer, the winds would only want to tend towards a more westerly direction, I would think.

Exactly... I went much higher as a result. The HRRR suggests the winds will actually increase a little bit tonight out of the northwest. Since this is pretty much my throwaway city at this point, I decided to go bold as a last ditch effort to get well ahead of consensus. I'll probably find out if I'm doomed in the next few hours if the winds die down. 

32/15/16/0

It's such a tough call with a Great Lake close enough to influence thier temps/winds but not close enough to overwhelm everything else. I have day 3 (I think) in the back of my mind when I thought they'd stay mixed and hang onto NW winds all night, but the winds for some reason went east and they completely lost their lake influence and really dropped. The HRRR handled that well (and I was shocked) so we'll see if it has the right idea tonight with NW winds hanging on.

It's such a tough call with a Great Lake close enough to influence thier temps/winds but not close enough to overwhelm everything else. I have day 3 (I think) in the back of my mind when I thought they'd stay mixed and hang onto NW winds all night, but the winds for some reason went east and they completely lost their lake influence and really dropped. The HRRR handled that well (and I was shocked) so we'll see if it has the right idea tonight with NW winds hanging on.

I thought the easterlies that night were due in large part to convergence into LES bands, which we won't have tonight.

I thought the easterlies that night were due in large part to convergence into LES bands, which we won't have tonight.

They definitely were (and I'm not expecting easterlies tonight at all), although I think it was the much colder air over Canada vs over the rest of the UP that helped shift the convergence and LES west of them. Winds are still 320 now, so no northerly shift yet. I think a few hours of either nearly calm or more northerly winds can do the trick, but we'll see, I'm not optimistic.

They definitely were (and I'm not expecting easterlies tonight at all), although I think it was the much colder air over Canada vs over the rest of the UP that helped shift the convergence and LES west of them. Winds are still 320 now, so no northerly shift yet. I think a few hours of either nearly calm or more northerly winds can do the trick, but we'll see, I'm not optimistic.

And I'm not convinced it WON'T happen, just sharing my own reasoning. :P

And I'm not convinced it WON'T happen, just sharing my own reasoning. :P

Haha, I mean we are only 2F off on the low. CYAM dropped 5F last hour from 14 to 9, and have northerly winds at 2 knots. It's amazing how much a difference such a short distance has made between the two sites on several occasions. But I think them going northerly is a good sign.

I knew I shouldn't have said anything! Down to 15oF despite the winds... if I had to guess we will probably still end up in the 10-12oF range unless the winds can pick up some more.

Up to 17F now although my guess is they'll be bouncing around all night with a very slow downward progression on average. I can buy 10-12

NW winds just came up last hour and the temp has spiked back up to 19... don't give up yet!

It ended up working out okay for us. The calm wind did us in a bit but certainly not as bad as it could've been. It turns out it's the winds I really messed up lol. The 05z RAP showed 20 kts at 90 feet AGL for this time period. Fail.

Archived