joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WxChallenge 2014-2015

Jurg

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a good day for me. My first impression was warm-low cold-high, but I convinced myself otherwise. Forecasting is hard! :P

Can't be in the top 50 every city. Only my professor back at LSC from my college days can :P. He is just killing it this year.

The winds tomorrow and Thursday could be a nice play to make some points up. Winds and low made up for my poor high temp forecast so I'll break even with consensus for today.

Yeah. This city will have its fair share of chances for people to make up ground. I hate getting off a to a rocky start regardless. That's forecasting for you :D

Yeah. This city will have its fair share of chances for people to make up ground. I hate getting off a to a rocky start regardless. That's forecasting for you :D

Haha yep. I'm a little steamed at myself for the high. I had trouble getting a high warmer than 38 using various methods, but for some reason figured sun and no snow and a SSE wind would overcome it. Whoops

Haha yep. I'm a little steamed at myself for the high. I had trouble getting a high warmer than 38 using various methods, but for some reason figured sun and no snow and a SSE wind would overcome it. Whoops

That was my thought process as well. I butchered the low because the Obs were screaming it's going to clear looking at the satellite and seeing the clearing moving quickly from the north. It just stopped cold about 40 miles or so north of SPI and stayed overcast all night. Bummer.

The AFD mentioned that could happen. I should've went with a little more on the error avoidance play and went 24 like had the first time I submitted. What can you do right? Haha

Went 38/20/27/0

For the high, 2m air parcels around 18z tomorrow will either be coming from near St. Louis this afternoon per the NAM or from northern SD per the GFS where they got into the upper 30's at a higher elevation. Low clouds should move in tomorrow so I didn't want to go too bullish on the high, but went a little warmer than most models. I could see 40 but wasn't sure, so stayed a little lower. For the low, took an average of the models. Parcels at 2m on the NAM at 6z tomorrow night came from just north of ND at 500m above ground level there at 21z today, which when warmed adiabatically to 2m at SPI gave a temp of about 19F at 6z. Wanted to lower my low to 18 or 19 but missed the deadline. Consensus is 21 so I hope I'm at least on the right side of that. For winds, with BL average winds on the GFS of near 30 knots and on the NAM of around 25 knots by 6z tomorrow evening in a CAA regime (with the Euro looking a bit stronger like the GFS), I think they should snag 25-30 knots for the wind. The best potential for 30 knots appeared to be just after 6z so didn't go quite that high. We'll see. Big play is the winds.

21/11/29

I'm betting on winds to keep the low warm at 11, but I'm glad it'll be at consensus because I won't get hurt badly if low goes wrong. I'm pleased to see consensus at 20 because I can't see temperature dropping quickly enough to get into teens before 6z due to winds. Of course, my winds explain itself although I'm nervous I went too high in reaction to Day 1 winds...

22/13/24/0. I thought I was confident in the low, but seeing all these low numbers makes me feel uncomfortable now lol

I actually thought about going 12 as my low due to winds, but I didn't want to gamble this time around especially since you never know with backside 6z dripping to 10 or 11.

Archived