Newest Member
    joxey
WxChallenge 2014-2015

Jurg

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

22/10/30. 

Still trying to salvage my 23 min. for today's forecast but wanted to adjust down at least a degree. Winds will certainly try to keep temperatures in check and I was split between 10 and 11. As far as winds go... I figured I'd try to make up a little ground on consensus and figured that was my best shot. We'll see how it goes.  

Went 20/8/29/0

High and low already too cold, I doubt they drop hard enough this evening to get into the single digits. The ob at 9z for the wind was sustained 23 knots gusting to 35, so I'm hoping they at least got something like 27 knots out of that.

27 knots it is.

34/14/14/0

MOS is already few degrees too cold and lot of clouds are moving into KSPI tonight. Plus, pretty much USL/NWS/MOS are on their own while RAP/HRRR/GFS/Euro/4kmNAM are all warm. I also trust Iowa State's meteogram and they don't fall below 14 except for two outliers.

36/14/15/0. I'm very confident in the high and wind. Look to February 3rd to see a proxy on model biases for tomorrow and also used hysplit to confirm my idea of 35 or better tomorrow during the afternoon. Hypslit method was giving me 36 and 37 using 18z temperature points from the Texas Panhandle and Oklahoma Panhandle. 

36/14/15/0

Taking a risk on the low. I think they'll see high clouds all night and MOS is already 4 degrees too cold at 0z. Euro actually doesn't appear to get them below 15. Winds will potentially turn southerly late at night too, but they will be pretty calm through a good chunk of the night with a surface high moving right over wind so if the clouds to clear for a time they could drop. So it's a risk, although it's also only 2F warmer than consensus so I guess not a huge risk. Actually my high is a bigger risk, but with mixing heights to above 900mb and 925mb temps 7-8C warmer than this afternoon I think my 36 is possible, especially if they can see some clearing in the high clouds after 18z with a decent southwesterly breeze.

36/14/15/0

Taking a risk on the low. I think they'll see high clouds all night and MOS is already 4 degrees too cold at 0z. Euro actually doesn't appear to get them below 15. Winds will potentially turn southerly late at night too, but they will be pretty calm through a good chunk of the night with a surface high moving right over wind so if the clouds to clear for a time they could drop. So it's a risk, although it's also only 2F warmer than consensus so I guess not a huge risk. Actually my high is a bigger risk, but with mixing heights to above 900mb and 925mb temps 7-8C warmer than this afternoon I think my 36 is possible, especially if they can see some clearing in the high clouds after 18z with a decent southwesterly breeze.

Not a risk when I'm going with the same numbers lol

36/14/15/0. I'm very confident in the high and wind. Look to February 3rd to see a proxy on model biases for tomorrow and also used hysplit to confirm my idea of 35 or better tomorrow during the afternoon. Hypslit method was giving me 36 and 37 using 18z temperature points from the Texas Panhandle and Oklahoma Panhandle. 

Oh snap

The other few times we've had identical forecasts I don't think it went great, but I like that we have similar ideas for tomorrow as your highs especially have been better than mine for this city.

Oh snap

The other few times we've had identical forecasts I don't think it went great, but I like that we have similar ideas for tomorrow as your highs especially have been better than mine for this city.

Yea you being exactly the same and Phil being wicked cold on temps scare me for sure, but this is the first day I feel the USL could be too cold for tomorrow. 

Edit: I would love to hear Phil's opinion on temps tomorrow since he did go colder than most of us here. 

35/11/14/0

KSPI is heading toward drop territory if this forecast doesn't turn things around. Hoping for a quick drop to 11 around 06-09 Z before the temp flattens out or starts rising.

You nailed the low, and I think the warmer highs and somewhat stronger winds could well work out so you could be in decent shape for today.

Archived