joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WxChallenge 2014-2015

Jurg

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea you being exactly the same and Phil being wicked cold on temps scare me for sure, but this is the first day I feel the USL could be too cold for tomorrow. 

Edit: I would love to hear Phil's opinion on temps tomorrow since he did go colder than most of us here. 

Haha my thoughts are: "had 5 minutes to forecast and went with numbers close to MOS"

So I got lucky on the low last night... had I looked at more guidance I probably would have gone a touch warmer. I might get lucky on the high too since low clouds have moved in, which could temper WAA somewhat. With full mixing I only saw them getting to 32-33 and with clouds that could even get more difficult. 

25/10/18/0. I was at 12F for a low and was thinking second period, but now with models being 4F off the dew and skies clearer so far than predicted I went 10F. The fresh snow that they got could help them drop tonight before clouds and winds increase again.

25/10/18/0. I was at 12F for a low and was thinking second period, but now with models being 4F off the dew and skies clearer so far than predicted I went 10F. The fresh snow that they got could help them drop tonight before clouds and winds increase again.

Similar to you. 25/12/18/0

25/12/19/0

Am worried about the low. Figured with some clouds and SW winds much of the night they wouldn't drop hard (with 1" of snow on the ground)...they're at 9 now. Some stations upstream have really bounced around depending on cloud cover, we'll see if SPI bounces up at all or not by 6z. Was actually going for a 6z low tomorrow night :lol:

17/4/25/0

High will probably be at 6z. A blend of models generally suggested 14-16, although the ARW which did better with the warm high today is still 19-20 at 6z. Looking at obs upstream wasn't sure they'd drop quite as quickly as the models show so hedged a tad warmer. For the low wasn't certain. No snow pack in Springfield itself (patches in backyards don't count) and not sure how quickly low clouds clear tomorrow night, so didn't go any lower than the warmer end of MOS and the 12z Euro. Winds will be interesting...there's a nice burst behind the front that should move through there right before 6z tonight, so those of us who went 18 knots or higher for day 5 will probably still do OK. With 925mb winds of around 30 knots tomorrow morning in strong CAA, hedged high for the winds. The NAM almost appears to suggest the potential for decent snow showers with another wind shift in the morning and decent omega and RH in the low levels...a snow squall would definitely help that wind potential too. Not high enough confidence in a heavy enough snow shower to measure precip to put anything though.

Archived