joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WxChallenge 2014-2015

Jurg

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shucks, -2 intra hour. That essentially makes it impossible for me to get a trophy, but I'll finish well above consensus unless I completely crap the bed tomorrow, and my cumulative rank should climb back into the top 5. Baby steps of improvement

I would still be worried about a quick drop before 6z tonight as winds will probably go calm tonight for a period before return flow kicks in.

I would still be worried about a quick drop before 6z tonight as winds will probably go calm tonight for a period before return flow kicks in.

Yep... and FWIW HRRR does show a sharp drop by 03z tonight with no wind. I'd be very weary though considering its recent performance... a lot depends on when the cloud cover arrives and when the sfc ridge axis moves overhead. 

FAwHFh1.png

Qqq0AUo.png

31/10/24/0

With clouds moving in soon and the ridge axis passing by 6z, I expect them to drop a few degrees this evening and then rebound just before 6z. I may be too warm but I was feeling very risky (mainly because the one forecaster ahead of me at OU for SPI was sitting in the room with me while I forecasted). With 850mb temps getting close to 0C and strong south winds tomorrow, felt models were too cold, especially if there is a period of thinner clouds tomorrow afternoon. I could see the temps not falling tomorrow evening so there could be a nice window for the high.

Probably my highest risk forecast of the city, lots could go well or wrong, hehe

Wow... I could still get a trophy. It's extremely unlikely, though, and worst of all, it's mostly dependent on the low.

For the high, as long as it's 29F or higher, I'm okay. I feel pretty good about that.

For the wind, as long as it's 25kts or higher, I'm okay. I feel pretty good about that.

For the precip, as long as it's 0.02" or higher, I'm okay. I feel okay about that.

But for the low, I need it to be EXACTLY 4F. I'd give that about a 2% chance of happening.

At least I'll know that I don't have a chance in 6 hours. :P

Well to the east and southeast the temps are way below zero and the winds are forecast to start blowing from that direction. Would that mean the temperature would drop because the source region is much colder than at Springfield?

Perhaps if the winds stay light... but if it starts picking up in intensity it will probably induce mixing with the the warmer air above the sfc layer and that could lead to warming.

Wow... I could still get a trophy. It's extremely unlikely, though, and worst of all, it's mostly dependent on the low.

For the high, as long as it's 29F or higher, I'm okay. I feel pretty good about that.

For the wind, as long as it's 25kts or higher, I'm okay. I feel pretty good about that.

For the precip, as long as it's 0.02" or higher, I'm okay. I feel okay about that.

But for the low, I need it to be EXACTLY 4F. I'd give that about a 2% chance of happening.

At least I'll know that I don't have a chance in 6 hours. :P

:(

Sun is coming out too... temp should be rocketing up with good mixing, WAA, and solar insolation... liking above consensus on the high today. 

Agreed on winds and temperatures. And on precip, I am beginning to think 0.1 or even as high as 0.25 are not out of reach, based on some of the recent guidance...

It sucks, because I discussed with my class last night the possibility that there could be a lot more precip than most of the models had (the Canadian last night had a bullseye of over 0.25", but that was it)... because models tend to be too slow/too far south with the northern end of the precip shield in these kinds of storms. But none of us had the guts to pull the trigger.

Archived