• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WxChallenge 2014-2015

Jurg

If I can get 82/53/9+, then I'll move into 3rd among Category 4 folks and get a shot at Category 4 trophy for Phoenix with 4th place going into last day. I'm honestly surprised I got a shot after starting so badly on lows, but I'll take it.

EDIT: Well, that 52 doesn't help me with trophy. It's not impossible, but still a long shot.

I'm with ya. A 53F today would have put me easily within striking distance of a cat 2 trophy. Now I need the wind to be 11kts+, otherwise it's going to be very tough with only one (quiet) day left.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like 84/54/11/0 is it. A one point day for me, and I tied for the best high forecasts in the nation... can't complain! The 55F was my stretch to try to get a trophy. If I had stuck with my original 54F, I would have (barely) gotten my trophy, and had a perfect forecast. Always forecast what you think is going to happen!

Feel pretty good that the low will be warmer than MOS. By how much remains to be seen... that subsidence inversion should hold firm so clouds should stick around most of the night (and at least a portion of tomorrow) + the consistent 5-10 knot wind should keep the temps up tonight (especially with a lack of snow pack). I'm a lot more worried about the high tomorrow if the clouds don't clear quick enough. I assume they will and allowing for decent mixing they should get out of the 30's.

40/24/12/0.00

Feel pretty good that the low will be warmer than MOS. By how much remains to be seen... that subsidence inversion should hold firm so clouds should stick around most of the night (and at least a portion of tomorrow) + the consistent 5-10 knot wind should keep the temps up tonight (especially with a lack of snow pack). I'm a lot more worried about the high tomorrow if the clouds don't clear quick enough. I assume they will and allowing for decent mixing they should get out of the 30's.

40/24/12/0.00

Based on how poorly the models are doing with clouds (the back edge was rapidly moving southward through Illinois and Iowa when the sun went down), I'm not so sure it will be cloudy all night. Besides, the clouds are so low and the inversion so strong that even with the clouds, the efficient radiational cooling at the top of the clouds will get mixed throughout the boundary layer pretty effectively.

That all being said, I definitely considered going as high as 24 or 25 on the low as a nod to the cloud cover. But I just wasn't confident that they would have that much of an impact. Wouldn't surprise me if they do, though.

Based on how poorly the models are doing with clouds (the back edge was rapidly moving southward through Illinois and Iowa when the sun went down), I'm not so sure it will be cloudy all night. Besides, the clouds are so low and the inversion so strong that even with the clouds, the efficient radiational cooling at the top of the clouds will get mixed throughout the boundary layer pretty effectively.

That all being said, I definitely considered going as high as 24 or 25 on the low as a nod to the cloud cover. But I just wasn't confident that they would have that much of an impact. Wouldn't surprise me if they do, though.

Eeyup

Clouds finally cleared and the temp shot up to 36F... have a couple more hours of daytime heating. Might be able to eek out 38 or 39F.

Not off to the best start because of the low, but the remaining forecast period will have plenty of chances for moving up. Would like to see it at least make a run to 39 today. I'll take 1 point error there after the start this city had.

Archived