• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OBS

jaxjagman

Bottomed out at 26 this AM. Looks like my cilantro took a huge hit. Thankfully I staked and covered up my small blueberry bushes. Several of them were blooming well, and already had leaves on them. I ran out of blankets for one though on the end, and just used a 5 gallon bucket. Big mistake. When I removed it awhile ago, there was ice inside on the blooms and leaves. I will likely loose that one. Lesson learned on using buckets.

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Freeze well under way here. currently at 28 degrees, figure I'll bottom around 22-23 since my dp is 19. 

Looks like mid to upper 30s across the central and southern valley so far. You guys may not get the blistering our trees will get.

It didn't seem to get as cold here in the central valley as the forecast was stating.  My lowest temp was 32 through the whole weekend, surprisingly.  I see very little damage to most of the deciduous trees that were already leafing out.  Very thankful at this point.   No repeat of April 2007 here.  Hope areas to my north don't see a lot of damage, either.

Only thing that I have that had any damage was cilantro. It didn't phase it much though. That stuff is so hardy it never fully dies all winter. It beats it back, but it recovers very quickly. I was worried about one blueberry, it had ice on the blooms and leaves, but it really doesn't appear to have phased it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yesterday (Memorial Day) had an interesting storm that formed and stayed pretty much in the same spot for, dang near, two hours.  NWS issued a flood advisory for this specific area in central and southern Knox county and northern Blount.  They said it dropped 2 inches of rain!  It was funny to see RadarScope try to draw directional lines because the storm just wobbled around.

ZkDSdKB.png

It spread out a little bit before dissipating and I finally finagled a few heavy drops of rain, not even enough to completely wet the porch.  We got the cool wind off of it and heard some decent cracks of thunder.  It sure would have been nice to be a mile or two east and gotten a months worth of rain in two hours!  Meanwhile, I'm running sprinklers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, according to MRX, Chattanooga hit 99 degrees today! That looks to be the highest in the state-Memphis hit 98. It was around 91 here, still hot, but not that hot!

The humidity was awful through mid morning, but the DP really mixed out in the afternoon. More of a dry heat. Heat index was only 100 when the air temp hit 99. WIth essentially no soil moisture left, there isn't anything to hold the temps down in the afternoon. I expect the upper 90's to continue. I'm skeptical of the predicted cool down this week.

The humidity was awful through mid morning, but the DP really mixed out in the afternoon. More of a dry heat. Heat index was only 100 when the air temp hit 99. WIth essentially no soil moisture left, there isn't anything to hold the temps down in the afternoon. I expect the upper 90's to continue. I'm skeptical of the predicted cool down this week.

There still seems to be a front the first week of July followed by the heights rising around the 4th,should be another system followed this around the 8th.If the euro is anywhere right we might see some  of the best bulk shear we've seen in a while the first of the month,though nothing is mentioned by the SPC,the GFS 12Z    does look somewhat better today.

We just had an unbelievable storm dump some incredibly heavy rain here at the house. Picked up 2.75in of rain in less than an hour. Extremely intense lightning too. Not sure why a flash flood warning wasn't issued, as there is plenty of flooding around. The crazy thing about it is, less than 5 miles away in town, not a drop of rain. Unreal how isolated this was!

here in Soddy Daisy north of Chattanooga, I have seen 1.09 in. for the entire month. I have gotten very unlucky with any pop up storms and missed out completely with the storms that came through last night. Last event was on 6/24 and got .42 in my weather station. Hoping I catch up soon as I have been having to water my garden none stop. 

.31" for this month so far. I've also been in the wrong spot at the wrong time for the pulse type storms. A storm rolling out of Anderson/Union Co yesterday was heading straight for me but laid down an outflow about 10+ miles north and it blew apart. Then storms refired on that outflow a couple of miles to my south, I was left with a few sprinkles. Been this way all summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could have been a weak tornado. Was it left of the rain? That 79 mph gust indicates something going on, whether from an RFD or an actual tornado. Drought monitor may not include all the midweek rain. Though issued Thursday I think data cuts off Tuesday. I would think drought is easing north of I-24 and definitely along I-40. At any rate thank you for posting the picture!

Archived