• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September 2014

Rtd208

I'm not seeing any indication of a persistent trough / cooler than average pattern on the East Coast for the foreseeable future. The next 7 days continue to look like a torch, with many days of 90F potential. Thereafter, we should have more cool airmasses intruding from the NW, but the mean ridge likely remains near the East Coast.

The CFS has an above normal temperature signal for September. It could be that the departures on the warm days added

up will be too great to be cancelled out by the cooler days behind the fronts with Canadian highs. So the end result would

be the warm departures tipping the scale to above normal on the month.

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The CFS has an above normal temperature signal for September. It could be that the departures on the warm days added

up will be too great to be cancelled out by the cooler days behind the fronts with Canadian highs. So the end result would

summaryCFSv2.NaT2mProb.201409.gif

You can see the latest forecast date has the smallest area of above normal departures in the east. Hopefully any positive departures are racked up over the next few days and the rest of the month is at least normal. That would lead to a look as depicted on the August 31st map.

Think today may be pretty damn good for severe weather including me. Minimal seabreeze influence and the atmosphere is destabilizing fairly rapidly. Better shot than yesterday IMO

I don't think today can do it. I don't see a sig trigger other than a weak surface trough for storms to get going this aft.

Why do people care if September and October are warmer than average? Even the coldest winters are no guarantee for snow, see 2013-14 which featured many mixed bag events. Secondly, we had a mini KU October 2011 and that turned out to be one of the worst winters in recent memory.

I care about cool Septembers and Octobers because I like cool weather in the fall. It has nothing to do with the following winter.

I care about cool Septembers and Octobers because I like cool weather in the fall. It has nothing to do with the following winter.

Green leaves and 75 degrees on November 10th is one of my nightmares, though I'm ok with a blowtorch November as long as it precedes a snowy winter.

Green leaves and 75 degrees on November 10th is one of my nightmares, though I'm ok with a blowtorch November as long as it precedes a snowy winter.

I think it was 2005 and 2007 - had some tomatoes into late Oct.  Im ok with blowtorch Sat Patty to Thanksgiving then it can snow black Friday to the ides of march.

MOS numbers. NAM 94 and GFS 92 for Newark tomorrow:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/mos/getall.pl?sta=KEWR&sta=KTEB&sta=KTTN&sta=KNYC&sta=KJFK&sta=KLGA

Also models/ensembles have an erratic/incoherent MJO signals, next 15 days. Expect alot of volatility in the medium to long range forecasts:

NCPE_phase_21m_full.gif

ECMF_phase_51m_full.gif

Looks like the one consistent theme is transient cools followed by ridge rebuilding. Mon-tue (9/8 - 9/9) look like a break from the warmth before heights rise and temps come back up to and above normal towards 9/11

2001 and 2007 come to mind, though there are others. Terrible autumns.

In hindsight I wouldn't mind if autumn was warm if we got a ton of snow in the winter but there is no way of knowing that beforehand so experiencing a warm autumn would definitely sour my mood.

I can't think of anything worse than a cold September. It's supposed to feature 70's and 80's with crisp nights and warm days. Best month of the year temperature wise. Save cold and snow for January.

It doesn't have to be cold. But I'd like to have days in the low 70s with lows in the 50s throughout the month. Dewpoints would also have to be below 50, of course.

attachicon.gifsummaryCFSv2.NaT2mProb.201409.gif

That above normal pool along the EC really shrunk. It looks like it will be warm, but we probably won't have many 90s (except for EWR, CNJ and PHL). North of I-80 and South of the Lower Hudson Valley will be the coolest area for this month. 

Archived