Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
E PA/NJ/DE/Okle: Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Snow Preventer Shield device has proven itself once again today in South Jersey.  Only rain is allowed through, a blast of dry air is hurtled at incoming frozen precipitation so that it evaporates on approach.  There was a slight hiccup in the program during the last event as a slushy coating was allowed to accumulate before the program was quickly fixed.  So far it looks like the patch is holding.

Does anyone know if an ice jam of sorts let go in the Upper Delaware over the last 24 hours? Nothing major but I noticed down by the New Hope/Lambertville a rise in the river and the ice build up around the bridge is gone this evening.

I looked at the Daily River Forecast product and it seems something happened up river since I don't think that much unfrozen liquid fell this week up river (above Tocks Island) or would have melted over the last couple of days?

Station    7am Stage    7am Stage
                  Wed               Thurs
Tocks         6.31                 6.41
Frenchtwn  1.59                1.66
Stockton     0.75                 0.80
New Hope   -0.07??  (suspect)

Maybe today's wind broke it up.  Any thoughts?

Does anyone know if an ice jam of sorts let go in the Upper Delaware over the last 24 hours? Nothing major but I noticed down by the New Hope/Lambertville a rise in the river and the ice build up around the bridge is gone this evening.

I looked at the Daily River Forecast product and it seems something happened up river since I don't think that much unfrozen liquid fell this week up river (above Tocks Island) or would have melted over the last couple of days?

Station    7am Stage    7am Stage

Wed               Thurs

Tocks         6.31                 6.41

Frenchtwn  1.59                1.66

Stockton     0.75                 0.80

New Hope   -0.07??  (suspect)

Maybe today's wind broke it up.  Any thoughts?

That's odd, when I was leaving work today in Trenton, and there was still a lot of ice build up on the river. The area just before the falls is notorious for jamming, will be interesting to see how much ice is there tomorrow.

That's odd, when I was leaving work today in Trenton, and there was still a lot of ice build up on the river. The area just before the falls is notorious for jamming, will be interesting to see how much ice is there tomorrow.

I think typically jams occur in the Delaware Water Gap. There was this River Ice Report from near Bushkill on 02/03/15::

REPORT: SOLID ICE COVERS THE RIVER AND STARTED ON 2/2/2015. THE SOLID ICE COVER BEGINS AT SOLID ICE COVER .8 OF A MILE NORTH OF BUSHKILL BOAT LAUNCH. AND ENDS AT SOLID ICE COVER .5 OF A MILE FROM BUSHKILL BOAT LAUNCH.

Evil winter, I almost let Lucy hold the football for me yet again too

Cold is becoming insufferable and Philly totals are bleak. Projecting ahead the next two weeks I wonder if there has ever been as cold a Jan Feb with so little snow for them.

Great question, like the old betting tickets back in the day the info below is not official & "for entertainment purposes"

through yesterday PHL is averaging 30.8 degrees & recorded 5.1" of snow since 1/1/15, looks like they're approx. 40 yrs. in which JAN / FEB have averaged 30.8 degrees or colder, some of the years were pre snowfall data & most were good to excellent snowfall wise but there are a few mutts on the list:

1968 - 3.2"

1980 - 6.5"

1888 - 6.9"

1942 - 7.3"

2004 - 8.0"

1901 - 8.7"

We paid for last year's winter this season. I think I'm ready to give in, I need my sleep....The pattern going forward would have been epic if we could get a GOD DAMN NAO, but nooooooo....

I wish people would understand, the reason we get so crazy during a bad winter is the waiting. We only get 4 months out of the year where snow is possible, and during those 4 months we might only get snow a few times. I am still holding out hope that we could see a MECS, but I think I'm going to stop looking at the models for a few weeks.  

Archived