Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
E PA/NJ/DE/Okle: Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once upon a time it looked like PHL might hit 0 this morning.  So far the hourlies haven't slipped below 20.  Cold fail.

For all the advertising for this one, it seems last Friday-Saturday was a bit colder (without going back and looking at readings). Low here this morning was (and is) 17F. Saturday morning it was 14F.

Quick story about my next door neighbor who is a schoolteacher. She was leaving at her normal time this morning only to find her van flash frozen in ice. She managed to break free, but settled in the original hole and was stuck. She went to the garage for rock salt   to find the door frozen shut. I went over to help with some calcium ice melt. Meanwhile her son had mid-terms and only had 6 minutes to get to the high school which didn't have a delay.  Luckily we flagged down a passing school bus for him. About ten minutes later the ice melt did its trick and she was off. Reminded me of the Beatles song " A Day in the Life."  :)

Today is the 20 year anniversary of the only KU that, at least locally, bulls-eyed Mercer County.  Also the first snowstorm I ever stayed up all night for.  Forecast was for 4"-8".. ended up with 14" in about 9 hours:  http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/1995/04-Feb-95.html

Happy Anniversary! If I'm recalling correctly, that was a Friday night and in this area the only really measurable snow that winter, about 11" here (which at the time was just north of Media, PA).

This just isn't our winter....pattern is cold in moisture out or moisture in cold out. They just wont match up this year. Still think PHL ends right around avg.

When I was a kid in grade school I couldn't understand how it could be zero one day and 40 and rain the next. All I knew was that I wanted to band my head against the wall. Of course, being older, I know the science behind the process. Still want to bang my head against the wall, though. :P

When I was a kid in grade school I couldn't understand how it could be zero one day and 40 and rain the next. All I knew was that I wanted to band my head against the wall. Of course, being older, I know the science behind the process. Still want to bang my head against the wall, though. :P

It still feels like a waste of good cold air :-)

Archived