Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Significant Severe Events: June 14th-19th

andyhb

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 16Z HRRR has a violent supercell in northwest Iowa. Note the sig tor ahead of it, ahead of the cool rain. Note other parameters. Surface inflow is pretty wild too, even if not strong, look at direction. One can assume 925-850 is more robust. HRRR may not have placement right; but, it is keying in on the intersection of the morning outflow and gravity waves. That's the cell of the day. Nowcast time..

EDIT regarding post below: Models may be trying to resolve the same cell.

The 12z 4km WRF aka god model is extremely impressive in central/eastern NE

Are you talking about the regular 4 km nest of the NAM or the SPC WRF?

The SPC WRF destroys FSD and SW MN from 22-00z based on max updraft helicity, but I still don't know I buy it since it's isn't resolving the line that's currently plowing through eastern SD.

Based on the HRRR output what we see today may be somewhat similar to 5/19/13. A few intense supercells develop (and could even produce some pretty high-end severe) but don't live very long. The disturbance that is kicking off this convection will rapidly move off to the northeast and leave behind shortwave ridging later this evening, and the EML really asserts itself after dark.

I'm a complete amateur working on learning to read the Skew-T, hodograph, and other model data, so forgive me if my question is ignorant or out of place.

I live near KALO and was looking at the WRF and HRR forecast numbers for tonight around 03z to 05z, and the parameters look very favorable/dangerous for us here:  STP in the 10-13 range, 1km SRH from 375-600, Supercell Potential over 75% (100% at 04z per the WRF), and LCL heights about 500m.

So the question - am I reading this right?  Does it mean what it looks like (high likelihood of tornadoes), or is the storm mode likely to be linear by then despite the parameters because we're talking about 11pm or so?

Again, sorry if this is too elementary a question for this board (just say "go away" and I'll resume my quiet reading); it just made me curious.

Looks like a TDS on the CC but it could be ground clutter. It is in the same location as the couplet though...

Edit: couplet has weakened with the latest scan

Nope.  Likely just inflow dust/debris.  A TDS is associated with a distinct couplet.

Looks like the couplet is south, outside of the tornado warning box?

Would appear so.  Not terribly tight yet, but looking more impressive.

Archived