12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Significant Severe Events: June 14th-19th

andyhb

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm shocked there's been no mention of this here yet...

NOUS43 KOAX 181128
PNSOAX
IAZ043-055-056-069-079-080-090-091-NEZ011-012-015>018-030>034-
042>045-050>053-065>068-078-088>093-182330-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE OMAHA/VALLEY NE
628 AM CDT WED JUN 18 2014

...PRELIMINARY NWS DAMAGE SURVEY FOR 06/16/14 TORNADO EVENT
UPDATE 1...

.STANTON TORNADO...

RATING: AT LEAST EF-3
PATH LENGTH /STATUTE/: 12.09 MILES
START DATE: JUNE 16 2014
START LOCATION: 6.75 MILES SOUTHWEST OF STANTON
END DATE: JUNE 16 2014
END LOCATION: 10.50 MILES EAST OF NORFOLK

.PILGER TORNADO...

RATING: AT LEAST EF-4
PATH LENGTH /STATUTE/: 19.30 MILES
MILES START DATE: JUNE 16 2014
START LOCATION: 5.75 MILES SOUTHWEST OF PILGER
END LOCATION: 8.40 MILES WEST-NORTHWEST OF PENDER

.PILGER EAST TORNADO...

PATH LENGTH /STATUTE/: 11.60 MILES
MILES START DATE: JUNE 16 2014
START LOCATION: 2.20 MILES SOUTH-SOUTHEAST OF PILGER
END LOCATION: 9.20 MILES NORTHEAST OF PILGER

.WAKEFIELD TORNADO...

PATH LENGTH /STATUTE/: 12.76 MILES
START DATE: JUNE 16 2014
START LOCATION: 7.50 MILES WEST OF PENDER
END LOCATION: 6.60 MILES NORTHEAST OF WAKEFIELD

EF SCALE: THE ENHANCED FUJITA SCALE CLASSIFIES TORNADOES INTO THE
FOLLOWING CATEGORIES.

EF0...WEAK......65 TO 85 MPH
EF1...WEAK......86 TO 110 MPH
EF2...STRONG....111 TO 135 MPH
EF3...STRONG....136 TO 165 MPH
EF4...VIOLENT...166 TO 200 MPH
EF5...VIOLENT...>200 MPH

NOTE:
THE INFORMATION IN THIS STATEMENT IS PRELIMINARY AND SUBJECT TO
CHANGE PENDING FINAL REVIEW OF THE EVENTS AND PUBLICATION IN NWS
STORM DATA.

$

SMITH/ZAPOTOCNY

It's amazing how the exact same area has gotten slammed two days in a row, and quite possibly three basing off of the SPC SWOD1 Tornado Probs... %10 for SE SD/NE NEB/ NW IA. Wouldn't be too surprised to see significant-severe added to tornado probs in later outlooks just like yesterday.

Here's a quick video of the beginning portion at least of the cyclic supercell/tornado about 3 miles north of Laurel, NE last night. I had to re-position myself due to hail a few times. By the time I got closer, it was rain-wrapped and getting dark, so that's why the footage is cut a bit short. Beyond that point, it turned into a multi-vortex wall cloud, with some of the funnels not reaching the ground. By that time it was fairly dark, so there's really a lack of compelling footage to share.

A small segment of nighttime footage:

Yday was a huge day for chasing.. three seperate areas of pure gold. Roger Hill at it again. https://www.facebook.com/243903418956520/photos/a.243917255621803.77405.243903418956520/852524608094395/?type=1&theater

Agreed. Can't remember the last time there were three truly jaw-dropping tornadic storms spread out over such a wide area and a dryline wasn't involved. You couldn't lose if you played.

June 16-17, 2014 will be remembered as one of the ultimate two-day stretches in storm chasing. It'll really be something if today manages to augment it. Given initiation in the Siouxland area, the parameters today certainly don't rule out something of a similar caliber to yesterday. Anvil-level flow is the only real weakness I'm seeing, but it's not much weaker than yesterday. Extreme instability FTW.

Congrats again, Quincy. Doesn't get much better.

Ahh sorry, figured you got yesterday too. Even so... Monday an excellent prize. :) perhaps I'll shift my hate to Quincy.

I was mainly waiting for the season to totally suck though had an inkling June might have something up its sleeve. Now to see if more chasecationers switch to June and get death ridged next year heh.

Wild few days regardless even other than the most talked about tors. Honestly good to see those who are out all year finally get something decent. Prob more rough for Plains guys who were working or gave up on 2014 so didn't go out.

There are some definite advantages to chasing in June.  Generally slower storm motion being one of them.  More storms in the High Plains and away from the S. KS/OK/N. TX chaser congestion being another. 

I'm gonna drop a guaranteed EF4+ rating on the Coleridge tornado assuming it hit anything able to be classified as such.

Weren't we seeing EF-5 velocities on the radar last night? I know this doesn't directly equate to an EF rating, but I'm sure there's some correlation...

Thanks Brett. After a tough first trip and two lackluster trips, the persistence is paying off.

Looking forward to one more potentially big day. My focus is on southeastern SD, perhaps extending into far northwest IA and/or southwest MN. The front is lifting north and we've already seen good moisture transport paired with backing winds into the area. The HRRR has been back and forth since overnight (MN to IA and now near the intersection of the four states), but near term trends along with the last 16z run would indicate to me at least that SD is the way to go. As has been the case for the past few days, throw a discrete cell (or even a small cluster) into such an environment and things could really blow up.

Weren't we seeing EF-5 velocities on the radar last night? I know this doesn't directly equate to an EF rating, but I'm sure there's some correlation...

Generally when you see velocities that intense (maxed out ~221 kts GTG), you have a violent tornado on your hands, in addition to visual evidence.

It's one of the strongest delta-v sigs I've ever seen, up there with Tuscaloosa, the Greensburg tornadoes from 2007 and 2008 and both of the El Reno tornadoes (2011 and 2013).

221 kts == 254 mph... Yikes!!

Remember though, that's a 254 mph differential between outbound and inbound, equating to 127 mph +/- storm motion ground relative speed.

It's still quite impressive, given the large scan volume of the WSR-88D for anything that isn't in the immediate vicinity of the radar.

There are some definite advantages to chasing in June.  Generally slower storm motion being one of them.  More storms in the High Plains and away from the S. KS/OK/N. TX chaser congestion being another. 

Yeah, though it's also been hit or miss lately. In general June seems more like a locals month than May.. though probably really last two weeks of May into first two of June that's best for coming from afar. Of course if June meant storms for sure and no OK it would definitely be tops. Can't argue against extreme instability when it doesn't cap bust. 

Bit of an MCD fail here. Also...here we go again.

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 1062
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
0113 PM CDT WED JUN 18 2014

AREAS AFFECTED...S CENTRAL ND INTO CENTRAL SD

CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH LIKELY

VALID 181813Z - 181945Z

PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...80 PERCENT

SUMMARY...STORMS/SEVERE RISK EXPECTED TO GRADUALLY INCREASE ACROSS
THE DISCUSSION AREA...WITH A TORNADO WATCH LIKELY REQUIRED WITHIN
THE NEXT HOUR OR SO.

DISCUSSION...LATEST SURFACE AND OBJECTIVE ANALYSES INDICATE A
HEATING/DESTABILIZING AIRMASS ACROSS THE DAKOTAS ATTM...NEAR AND E
OF AN INVERTED TROUGH EXTENDING NNWWD FROM A LOW ANALYZED NEAR THE
SD/NEB BORDER JUST NE OF ANW. ELY/SELY LOW-LEVEL FLOW E OF THE
TROUGH/N OF THE LOW BENEATH MODERATE SWLYS AT MID LEVELS IS YIELDING
SHEAR SUPPORTIVE OF ORGANIZED/ROTATING STORMS...WHICH COMBINED WITH
ONGOING AIRMASS DESTABILIZATION WILL SUPPORT A CONTINUED RAMP-UP IN
SEVERE RISK THIS AFTERNOON. ALONG WITH POTENTIAL FOR VERY LARGE
HAIL AND DAMAGING WINDS...DEGREE OF LOW-LEVEL SHEAR AND LOW LCLS
ALSO SUGGESTS POTENTIAL FOR A FEW TORNADOES. AS SUCH...TORNADO
WATCH ISSUANCE IS EXPECTED WITHIN THE HOUR.

..GOSS/MEAD.. 06/18/2014

That discussion actually sounds pretty meh.

Except it's not, the discussion before yesterday's watch was very similar...and then the environment did the rest. Today we have backed southeasterly surface winds across most of the eastern half of SD with upper 60s/70s dewpoints, I wouldn't be surprised if a trifecta is achieved today despite rather weak upper level flow (which should get a bit stronger through the afternoon).

Model cancer is malignant. Andy is correct. SPC has been behind ever since hi-res guidance started to tank last week. Either that, or per the proofreading error, they are just not engaged. Today will be a tornado day, period.

They did the best they could given that the past two days were heavily mesoscale driven, and the PDS watch on Monday was perfectly placed.

I agree that the models have been quite crappy with this whole thing, doing a poor job of depicting the strength and location of the storms.

My bigger question is for the WFOs to the east in WI who let at least two significant tornadoes go basically unwarned as they caused damage (TDS was evident in both cases) in one of the most heavily populated areas in the state (Greater Madison).

Archived