• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Significant Severe Events: June 14th-19th

andyhb

Not to interrupt what's going on but anyone see this pic of the Pilger tornadoes from yesterday?  If that thing on the left is a third tornado then it becomes even more legendary.

BqWhciUCUAAb-HR.jpg

Not from my vantage point.  It was twin mesos though and indeed the one to the west almost pulled an Elkhart but we never saw that third funnel touch down.  However the day was so ridiculous with so many tors and for a good half hour there was never one moment without two on the ground and it's very possible we missed it, although there were four of us with eyes on the whole thing beginning to end.

Shaky video, noob commentary, this is what happens when you have only ever seen quick spinups and an ef0...

I'm ruined for life...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the end of the long and seemingly endless road of miserable patterns, spectacular last-minute busts, and everything in between, it turns out 2014 in the Plains wasn't unimpressive. It just all came down to a 36-hour, 200-mile spatiotemporal window. Unreal.

I hate you a little. ;)

I hate you a little. ;)

Well I saw yesterday but then came home today like a ^$@^#$ moron, so you can cut that hate in half.

Gotta be the most bizarre chase year on record. Was on pace to sit comfortably in the hall of shame next to '88 et al. until the 11th hour, then two of the best days of the decade drop practically out of nowhere. After the unimaginable time, money, energy, life so many pour into this activity, a humbling reminder of how it really all comes down to the best ~3-5% of setups (structure, sunsets and pretty photos aside). Someone new or ultra casual who happened to choose this two-day sequence and played it right could've arguably outdone the last 50 chases of someone serious and established who's chosen less wisely of late -- in fact, that's precisely what happened in some cases.

Not to interrupt what's going on but anyone see this pic of the Pilger tornadoes from yesterday?  If that thing on the left is a third tornado then it becomes even more legendary.

I believe there were only two. A third one tried to come down (on the left of the picture), but I don't think it even made it to the funnel stage.

Worth mentioning how much that violent Coleridge tornado reminded me of Bennington, Manchester and Bowdle at various stages in its life.

Agreed -- those are exactly the three I was comparing it to earlier. I think Manchester is still king in terms of being a consistently sunlit, rain-free high-contrast wedge, but this probably comes in second.

Well I saw yesterday but then came home today like a ^$@^#$ moron, so you can cut that hate in half.

Gotta be the most bizarre chase year on record. Was on pace to sit comfortably in the hall of shame next to '88 et al. until the 11th hour, then two of the best days of the decade drop practically out of nowhere. After the unimaginable time, money, energy, life so many pour into this activity, a humbling reminder of how it really all comes down to the best ~3-5% of setups (structure, sunsets and pretty photos aside). Someone new or ultra casual who happened to choose this two-day sequence and played it right could've arguably outdone the last 50 chases of someone serious and established who's chosen less wisely of late -- in fact, that's precisely what happened in some cases.

You're killing me lol.  I've been out chasing a lot this year, everywhere from Kansas to Wyoming(Even a little in PA on 6/11) and then this happens.  I am on vacation this week as well, but came down with strep on Sunday and simply didn't have the energy to drive.  Just the effort put in this year and then having to miss the last two days is something that I won't forget for a long time.  That's cool you got out there though, I know you've been waiting for this one. 

Will likely try to chase again tomorrow, given what this warm front has produced the last two days.

A bit surprised at only 5% TOR from SPC on the Day 1.  Although if I remember right, the 06z Day 1 today was only a broadbrush 5%, and then the 10% was added west at 13z and east at 1630z, so let's see.  And in fact initially I think the eastern 10% was all east of FSD's CWA...

There's better mid-level flow tomorrow, and a slightly stronger LLJ (although backed, reducing low-level SRH a bit), so it seems like a go.

If only I had gone chasing these few couple of days instead of that blasted late April setup...

But these two days pretty much saved the 2014 chase season, for those who went and caught the tornadoes. Just incredible supercells.

Interesting that 6/16 and 6/17 deliver again in the Northern/Central Plains.

6/16/92 -> Chandler, MN F5 tornado + outbreak

6/17/09 -> Aurora, NE tornado

6/16/10 -> Dupree, SD cyclic supercell/tornado fest (somewhat similar to the past couple days)

6/17/10 -> ND/MN tornado outbreak

Interesting that 6/16 and 6/17 deliver again in the Northern/Central Plains.

6/16/92 -> Chandler, MN F5 tornado + outbreak

6/17/09 -> Aurora, NE tornado

6/16/10 -> Dupree, SD cyclic supercell/tornado fest (somewhat similar to the past couple days)

6/17/10 -> ND/MN tornado outbreak

Also interesting how 1992 and 2009 were fairly quiet till June, and how both preceded strong El Nino winters.

Ahh sorry, figured you got yesterday too. Even so... Monday an excellent prize. :) perhaps I'll shift my hate to Quincy.

I was mainly waiting for the season to totally suck though had an inkling June might have something up its sleeve. Now to see if more chasecationers switch to June and get death ridged next year heh.

Wild few days regardless even other than the most talked about tors. Honestly good to see those who are out all year finally get something decent. Prob more rough for Plains guys who were working or gave up on 2014 so didn't go out.

Time to rock and roll again today, Wednesday. NAM was too far north with afternoon redevelopment; but, likely correct in showing robust inflow feeding supercell(s). HRRR is down in Iowa, and probably more reasonable given current outflow boundary position.

Starting downstairs, surface turning along the boundary will be excellent. LLJ up to 850 looks adequate; it should become locally good near supercells. Turning from surface to 500 mb is robust. At 300/200 little additional turning is noted; but, I don't see the veer back issue anymore. Speed at jet stream will become adequate for June by chase time.

Probably a good day for a 15% TOR. Not looking to debate the need; just making my forecast. One might take care to monitor/nowcast east and west of high-res radar forecasts, just in case. Good luck; chase safely; and, keep people impacted in our prayers/thoughts. All in all I'm looking forward to more good pictures tonight.

Ahh sorry, figured you got yesterday too. Even so... Monday an excellent prize. :) perhaps I'll shift my hate to Quincy.

I was mainly waiting for the season to totally suck though had an inkling June might have something up its sleeve. Now to see if more chasecationers switch to June and get death ridged next year heh.

Wild few days regardless even other than the most talked about tors. Honestly good to see those who are out all year finally get something decent. Prob more rough for Plains guys who were working or gave up on 2014 so didn't go out.

I've all but given up, and can only take off so many days (plus I despise long drives with questionable rewards) so the year is all but done for me and all I can say is good riddance and better luck next year. :wacko:

Archived