• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The official 2014 Summer Discussion Thread

Marion_NC_WX

Nice post Marion. I actually feel good about this upcoming pattern. Its also the start of a new month. Forget this disaster of a July. Even the GFS is showing my backyard some love with the bullseye over my backyard.

YOu are still in Ga. aren't you?  So....no rain for you :)  If you look back west you can  see the rain shield is already thinking ahead about falling apart as it approaches Ga.  Ala will see nice rain, and the Carolina's, but we live in the cursed lands, and as Cory says, these are the dry months coming.  Best be hoping that invest becomes a storm and it heads right for you, lol.  Remember Newton's Law, or Muffin's Law, or somebody's law...."if it can miss us, it will miss us".  What you want is a hurricane going over you, or a cut off low hanging around over you, or best yet, a Gom low, slow moving with a great tap, passing just to your north, or south, or anywhere near you, lol. 

Ok, sorry, just picking at you :)  You'll see more rain that you have...how about that for a prediction!  It's hard to do worse than nothing, lol.  T

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking forward to some wet weather for a little while.  Hopefully that bermuda high will retrograde by mid August to dry out for a bit while beaching it during the first shoulder week when kids are going back to school and the crowds thin out.

10534065_688898144529963_790500103699194

The NAM is showing very high rain totals right along the North and South Carolina border. This should be correct due to southeast flow; however, the important thing to note is the widespread 1-2 inches of rain from roughly I-95 westward through Sunday morning.

The southeast flow should help to develop showers and thunderstorms, and some of these storms could produce very heavy rain. A limiting factor may be instability, as there will be a slight northerly wind at the surface and very thick cloud cover, preventing any major daytime heating. But with the large scale 500 mb trough and the shortwave moving into the southeast, I see enough of a trigger to warrant 50-70% chances of rain both Friday and Saturday.

yep, that map pretty much summarizes this summer for my area. Congrats Carolina's and eastern ga.

Compare it to what it was showing yesterday, very disappointing. The models have been doing that all summer. Show lots of rain one day, then move it to the typical areas the next day. I don't even know why I was excited about the upcoming pattern.

Dsaur, you were right on yesterday. :lmao:

Compare it to what it was showing yesterday, very disappointing. The models have been doing that all summer. Show lots of rain one day, then move it to the typical areas the next day. I don't even know why I was excited about the upcoming pattern.

Yep, every "wet pattern" we've had has done nothing here. I'm not expecting a single drop of rain. The drought continues. Oh, btw, some areas of south ga and central al are now officially in a moderate drought. If we don't get rain soon, I can see the second half of august being very hot and dry. Maybe 100+. When you have a very dry ground it's a lot easier to get extreme temps.

Yep, every "wet pattern" we've had has done nothing here. I'm not expecting a single drop of rain. The drought continues. Oh, btw, some areas of south ga and central al are now officially in a moderate drought. If we don't get rain soon, I can see the second half of august being very hot and dry. Maybe 100+. When you have a very dry ground it's a lot easier to get extreme temps.

Yep that's us in the moderate drought now. I know what you mean by the very dry ground making it easier to get extreme temps because that just happened here. We hit 102 degrees a couple of days ago along with an overnight low of 81.

Sorry, man, just keeping it real :)  Keep an eye on those waves way out there, as that might be Ga's only salvation for something widespread...unless we get that  slow Gom low.  T

Snowstorm, Mack, Brick, and Burns ought to be getting rain right now. Sorry Metal. :(

I am approaching 4 inches of rain since 7 AM!

I won't complain anymore until we get our first cold rain instead of snow event this winter!

This rain is just non stop! Today rivals the best events we had so often last summer!

Archived