• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Vendor forecast thread

famartin

Larry Cosgrove and I were chatting online earlier and he stated that in 2 weeks from today, this area will wish that we were experiencing the current conditions again that we are seeing outside. He says winter is going to turn on with a fury we haven't seen in quite sometime with prolonged bitter cold and abundant snows being the rule rather than the exception. He says the MJO is telling and this supposed pattern reversal will not be denied. 

Many pro mets continue to honk for a major pattern reversal mid-late January. This is certainly welcome news.

I've said since October this will likely be a year which features a 2-3 week winter in late January/early Feb and it certainly looks to potentially be panning out that way. I will take whatever we can get, as long as it's not a complete shutout in terms of snowfall. Only thing I dont like on the long range progs are when any cold does arrive, it overwhelms the pattern and pushes the STJ and storm track well-South and off the coast. Let's hope that's not how it plays out but I can certainly see the warm/wet and cold/dry pattern verifying.

Ralph - if you want snow in this area - the suppressed track is what you want. The American models will always show those as going south and then the correction occurs as we get closer. Better to have the cold and work out the track then need the cold IMHO.

Happy New Year

Paul

Many pro mets continue to honk for a major pattern reversal mid-late January. This is certainly welcome news.

I've said since October this will likely be a year which features a 2-3 week winter in late January/early Feb and it certainly looks to potentially be panning out that way. I will take whatever we can get, as long as it's not a complete shutout in terms of snowfall. Only thing I dont like on the long range progs are when any cold does arrive, it overwhelms the pattern and pushes the STJ and storm track well-South and off the coast. Let's hope that's not how it plays out but I can certainly see the warm/wet and cold/dry pattern verifying.

From the Joe B at Weatherbell this AM

"The idea of a major storm on the east coast in the 8-10 is still very much alive and kicking. The height falls to the south later this week bring a relatively warm storm up on the back side of the arctic air the front part of the week, but a second storm comes out of the gulf this weekend and this has been a target for a week now from me. It will also be my 3rd attempt at snow in the coastal plain this winter from 2 weeks out and so far 0 for 2. I am keeping score.

Behind it the whole jet dives in. Can we make a rule. If you said Jan would be warm, no matter how cold it gets, you cant call what will come through the Polar Vortex? Wait till the Meteo media wakes up to what is going on."

To paraphrase a very interesting JB video from this morning on WeatherBell. He sees - January is looking rougher by the minute and while the GFS is in it's usual la la land - the WeatherBell team is alerting their clients that while January will certainly be cold - in fact he said it will reach levels approaching 2014 with single digits into the big cities  and then February will be quite the cold and stormy month. JB also said to expect a lot of folks to start talking about the moderating that will take place after the upcoming cold - but to not be fooled by the folks who will believe the CFS. Of course he pulled out his famed Brazil Meteogram for Chicago and Atlanta remains very confident that the WeatherBell Seasonal snow numbers will be working out real well with well above normal snowfall from the southeast up into and including the Philadelphia Metro area by the time the last flake is counted.

This morning JB laying out the GFS being an outlier on day 15 - when both the Euro and Canadian have a deep trof over the east and very cold while the GFS is well....not.

JB sees after the first rain event this weekend a 2nd storm will follow and come right up the coast to the mid-atlantic with snow and very cold to follow. Also, is betting someone will hype what is coming as the "Polar Vortex"

Larry Cosgrove and I were chatting online earlier and he stated that in 2 weeks from today, this area will wish that we were experiencing the current conditions again that we are seeing outside. He says winter is going to turn on with a fury we haven't seen in quite sometime with prolonged bitter cold and abundant snows being the rule rather than the exception. He says the MJO is telling and this supposed pattern reversal will not be denied. 

Half right he got the cold, honorable mention?

JB on his morning video today said the next 45 days could be a "snowmageddon type" experience from Texas up through the mid-atlantic with possibly 7 storms that may come up the coast and then to see if they come up all the way....he said it just doesn't get any better than this as far as pattern.

We shall see - no hype there - but as a wise man once said.....you don't have to shovel models!

no hype    with snowmagedon?

JB on his morning video today said the next 45 days could be a "snowmageddon type" experience from Texas up through the mid-atlantic with possibly 7 storms that may come up the coast and then to see if they come up all the way....he said it just doesn't get any better than this as far as pattern.

We shall see - no hype there - but as a wise man once said.....you don't have to shovel models!

There are several powerful  short  waves  in the the southern jet stream.  The 0z  Saturday European  takes the shortwave at 120 hours over Texas and Oklahoma and develops into a major snowstorm for NC  VA MD  DEL and slides   the Low off the coast clipping Cape Cod .

The  0z GFS  sees that  shortwave over Texas and Oklahoma at 120 hours BUT it crushes into a weak   flat system  in the Gulf at 144   the surface Low  does not develop into anything significant.  Instead the  0z  GFS has a moderate amount of snow and ice from Tennessee Valley and portions of NC  VA followed by a weak LOW   that slides off the coast.

Instead the GFS focuses on an next shortwave coming out of the SW states and develops that one is the major East Coast snowstorm at 234 hours 

I have no idea which solution is correct but I will say that given the fact that we are dealing with a strong enhance  STJ  and the fact that the GFS loves to crush the   short waves in the southern jet stream during Arctic outbreaks  that the GFS solution for January 15-16 - ( the weak  wave of Low pressure)  is  probably bogus and the European solution is more likely to be correct 

And there may be a second a significant system after January 20

JB posting on the 12z Euro - sees it correcting on it's "west bias" and is now close to an east coast snow event from Northern PA up thru New England. Then he sees a 2nd storm forming on the arctic front on sunday with a low inland over GA and another one organizing on the VA capes and the model goes from t-.10 to 0.3 to 0.6 and some of that at 20:1. Also says forecasts will bust here early in the week as it will be much colder than current forecasts with single digits spreading southbound.

JB posting on the 12z Euro - sees it correcting on it's "west bias" and is now close to an east coast snow event from Northern PA up thru New England. Then he sees a 2nd storm forming on the arctic front on sunday with a low inland over GA and another one organizing on the VA capes and the model goes from t-.10 to 0.3 to 0.6 and some of that at 20:1. Also says forecasts will bust here early in the week as it will be much colder than current forecasts with single digits spreading southbound.

Not really clear on implications for our area?

JB is focusing on 3 potential winter events now - 1 small one in front on Wednesday; potential big storm on Friday/Saturday and then one more potential big storm later next week. Sees a lot of similarities to the winter of 65/66. Main story is winter is far from over as February should also have it's share of storms

I thought Bernie Rayno made an interesting point yesterday -- he sited the old Norm MacDonald rule of thumb, that the latitude at which a storm enters North America tends to be the latitute it exits.

Nothing is ever 100% in weather, but it's something to keep an eye on.

JB posted this AM saying he will not be forecasting amounts after this but sees a general 1 to 2 feet from DC to BOS with areas to the west of the big cities LNS/MQS seeing some 30"+ totals. He is riding the Euro control run and says to take 75% of what that is showing and he likes that track and amounts. Also sees another snowstorm later next week...